Lambs call out Rolling Stone for once again ignoring Mariah Carey and her legacy

I’m DYING at the reasoning... her faith? Her being feminine? 
Britney Jean was a virgin for Jesus while spread out in satin sheets and a bra... and then in a bikini top... and then wearing a thong outside of her jeans... and then topless. 

there is definitely a peculiar bias with Mariah when it comes to Grammys and I guess RS but those reasons are NOT it. Maybe it’s her horrible attitude. Or maybe she knows too much about people who control those things. Either way her 18 #1s speak for themselves. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

What nonesense am I reading? Mariah is a PILLAR in pop culture. Let me use three periods after that.

I didn't know about Rolling Stone shading her, but who cares? Grammys s uck too. Magazines and academies want you to believe that they are the ones developing the culture but they are not; it's the artists and fans who do. They want to push Beyoncé down our throats but I said it and I will keep saying it again and again: she is NOT as relevant as they want us to believe. But Mariah? She's a true icon, as well as Janet.

• Love 3

Just curious to any that say Mariah hasn’t had a pop culture moment....

1993 - Music box era.... Dreamlover / Hero

1995 - Daydream era... first female #1 debut and then another #1 debut with second single that became the longest running number one till Old Town Road...

Were you paying close attention those years? Even if not they would be hard to miss... 

Just my two cents...

• Love 1
11 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

What nonesense am I reading? Mariah is a PILLAR in pop culture. Let me use three periods after that.

I didn't know about Rolling Stone shading her, but who cares? Grammys s uck too. Magazines and academies want you to believe that they are the ones developing the culture but they are not; it's the artists and fans who do. They want to push Beyoncé down our throats but I said it and I will keep saying it again and again: she is NOT as relevant as they want us to believe. But Mariah? She's a true icon, as well as Janet.

PREEEACH

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, AmorProhibido said:

Agreed, and I especially love when @Roxxy ends people :haha: though I disagree with her on her opinions about Mariah, there was no need for him to be so rude. 

Reveal hidden contents

But also we don't need another 3 pages added to this thread like in the Myah Marie thread. So maybe don't. :idkney:

It reminds of exhale back in the day. It was SAVAGE. I would wake up daily with multiple threads calling me out and the dramz was endless. There was one time a thread with my name that was like 28+ pages long. I'm glad it's not as toxic today.

But I love observing the drama now. Though I do enjoy @Roxxy as a poster. They're fab.

• Love 2
On 5/20/2020 at 6:30 PM, sparrowhawk said:

You MUST be young saying this. Rappers in pop songs? Mid drifts before Britney? Waistless jeans? The template for every pop hook written thereafter? Rolling Stone is shady. Period. Girl you tried it though 

Thank you for saying it before me. I'd also add the use of melisma as well. And the use of samples. And singers naming their fan bases. I just feel like it's disrespectful in general to say that the woman who had the song of the decade TWICE and has the most #1 songs of all time didn't impact pop culture.

• Love 1

I think it's pretty shady. Mariah's debut single is one that people still remember and had chart and cultural success. It was a strong debut since it went #1 and really launched her career in a space where Whitney was already dominant. I'd actually say she's one of the few pop-stars whose debut single people still remember.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2020 at 9:41 AM, Roxxy said:

Uhmm. I don't know about "ignoring". I don't believe Rolling Stone is being shady. 

But it's very much what you said. :imacat:

Rolling Stone is and always has been about pop culture. And although Mariah is part of pop culture, she was never the one to actually make big plays like Madonna or Britney. Mariah is like a Vice President and Madonna and Britney were the presidents during their time. The President is always front and center and the one that makes big plays. The Vice President is a very high, respected, and esteemed position, but do they make the moves? Do they call the shots and do they impact our culture? :nonono:

Mariah makes amazing music, but a "pop culture force" she is not. She is a "music force" at best. And Rolling Stone is not just a music publication. Rolling Stone is pop culture. ezgif-2-b9502a805e77.jpg

I've always thought about Mariah as a ultimate pop legend, but your last sentence is actually really well thought. 

Maria's impact is undeniable, she's one of the most succesful artists ever (along with Madonna, Cher, Whitney, Britney, Taylor, Barbra and Aretha). Maybe she's up there with Madonna in terms of longevity and sales. 

But you have a point regarding pop culture. Madonna set trends and standards for pop colleagues to follow, Britney did the same (in a different way). Mariah kinda did her own (extremely, extremely, extremely succesful) thing. She's a music legend, her contribution to music is huge, but if we're talking about pop culture it's a complex matter. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block