Ellen DeGeneres faces backlash for comparing living in isolation in her million-dollar mansion to actual jail, makes gay joke

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Sis, what are you doing smh. :alook:

Ellen hosted her first at-home show inside her multi-million dollar mansion and compared it to jail. She tried to make a joke, but it came off extremely tone-deaf.

“Being in quarantine is like being in jail. It’s mostly because I’ve been wearing the same clothes for ten days and everyone in here is gay.”

Girl...

The Internet is not pleased. 

Paper makes valid points: 

Not only that, but as many others pointed out, comparing her self-isolation to being in jail — where many inmates are at a high risk of exposure due to the lack of protective supplies and an inability to practice social distancing — made DeGeneres' joke all the more messed up. DeGeneres has yet to respond to the backlash."

Do you think it's all in good fun? Even the gay joke? Should we all just take a chill pill? Or is this problematic...? Sound off.

ellen-jail.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus you can’t make a joke about anything these days. How many of us have said this isolation thing is like jail? I know I have a 100x. She’s also gay, and as a fellow **** I’m fine with this joke. People need to lighten up, 2020 has been a **** show, don’t make it worse by being a butt hurt little ***** over an Ellen joke jeez

• Leader
3 minutes ago, kdub87 said:

Jesus you can’t make a joke about anything these days. How many of us have said this isolation thing is like jail? I know I have a 100x. She’s also gay, and as a fellow **** I’m fine with this joke. People need to lighten up, 2020 has been a **** show, don’t make it worse by being a butt hurt little ***** over an Ellen joke jeez

I'm glad the censors are in place cause :orangu:

How does being gay make the joke ok though? 

Ok I do see the gay joke kinda problematic. Well, not really, but I guess I know it could be something. But the jail joke, what? Really? Like, even I have said that this lockdown makes me feel like a prisoner. Am I supposed to get cancelled? :eheeek:

Im sure Ellen is also feeling the pressures of social distancing and lockdowns. As it has been pointed out, we’ve all said similar things. I guess the issue is that Ellen has a sprawling estate with many amenities already available from home (gym, theatre, pools, acres of room) so it is rather annoying when celebs whine about having to stay home. How bad can staying in a mansion for a few months be? I know they say they are just like us, but right now it’s painfully clear they aren’t and us peasants aren’t here for her first world problems right now :sickofu:

The joke was a joke though. They don’t always have to be tasteful or politically correct, the world is too sensitive. 

The world is now too sensitive and it is not appropriate to make these jokes, it is a very difficult time for many people and countries, this time is going to be very remembered at the social-economic level and, of course, at the health/ sanitary level.

Many lives have been lost, there are people who have not been able to say goodbye to their loved ones and we have to let an American woman make stupid jokes about staying in her awesome big house.

7 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

I'm glad the censors are in place cause :orangu:

How does being gay make the joke ok though? 

Because as a gay person, I fail to find the offense in it? What do you find offensive about it? Be real, if you were at a gay friends house and they made these jokes, would you be offended? I think it’s funny that she’s turning something that WOULD be a little provoking from a straight person on it’s head, the same sentiment as taking power over it. Kinda like how I make jokes about my sexuality at times to disarm others from doing it to me in a derogatory way. 

That’s just my opinion though, can’t speak for everyone. I’m British, I like to think we are a little more resilient to this kinda stuff. I Just honesty feel bad for people that walk around with such anger toward things like this. It must be so tiring. 

Wowwooooooooooo, I can't. 

Beyond the obvious responses... I wear the saaame damn loungewear all the damn time and I feel FREE and comfy.

I just bought some more because I've been wearing my basics out, so I know her rich-*** can order loads more sweats and ish. 

Hence that was just another LAME joke.

Idiot or bad person and no longer funny. She was funny in a friendly/goofy, etc., way, yes. Very chill to watch way back when. She lost it before her Relatable special, because she HAD completely lost touch, but didn't want to accept not only that but her extreme status upgrade made her a worse person with low empathy.

Being gay no longer drags her privilege down. It can't save her and she leans on it. Sad.

Done.

We need new lesbian representation because she's trashed.

14 hours ago, Brat2017 said:

Is everyone in jail gay? :whiteladydance:

No. It's a tired joke. Have you seen Orange is the New Black? I only "get it" b/c of that show.

13 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Ok I do see the gay joke kinda problematic. Well, not really, but I guess I know it could be something. But the jail joke, what? Really? Like, even I have said that this lockdown makes me feel like a prisoner. Am I supposed to get cancelled? :eheeek:

No, but do you live in a mansion? If not, that's different.

Let's ask @rik ... no shade, all love ... he could have some good insight.

Archived