Can Britney be relevant again?

jamesedward94

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ringleader34 said:

I agree she wants to do what she wants to do and if it means not being in the spotlight as much so be it.  

I’m certainly not comparing Britney to Madonna but I cannot tell you how many times I hear Madonna being called irrelevant and a has been today though (which is absolutely ridiculous) but it happens and no amount of facts are going to change their mind.  She’s old, desperate and blah blah blah.  Britney would absolutely suffer the same fate (actually she is now) but she chooses to ignore it.

For the record, I love Madonna but unfortunately that’s how a lot of people young and old see her and then someone will praise her back catalogue but again, celebrating her 80’s success.  Nothing she does today will ever top her Immcaculate time period.  I do appreciate the fact that she doesn’t rely on it in concert, but that’s what people want to hear and a GH tour will happen.  

We are in the YouTube generation now, instant gratification and a new “star” everyday.  But, superstars like Madonna, MJ, and Britney don’t exist anymore.  You can have a ton of hit songs but anyone outside your audience hasn’t even heard them.  With Britney, even adults knew BOMT and Oops and Slave (even if it was in parody form).  Just to name a few.  The whole world knew Toxic.  It was a better time in music in general.

But I guess she’s irrelevant now.  Oh well.  I’m still a fan, there’s no one new to admire except other legends.  Gaga is talented though...I will give her credit.

Britney not old yet nor  is she desperate like Madonna

G

7 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

People already think Gaga is old, outdated, irrelevant, etc. just imagine what they think of Britney. 

4 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Gaga burned out quickly

Gaga is at the the top of her game right now. Acclaimed acting, #1 soundtrack and a worldwide hit with Shallow. No need for these lies.

20 hours ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Glory says hello and Britney promoted that

Make Me went #1 on iTunes and kept seeing increases 

People loved what they heard and went and bought it

Dont compare Brit to struggle artist like Ariana

At this point I honestly think you're just a troll :mcorangu:

12 hours ago, It'sSamB!tch said:

tbh everyone says the new generation doesn't know her, yet I see a lot of teens knowing Work ***** and using it same with Scream and Shout.

Glory just didn't spawn a massive single. BJ at least had WB. I bet IF Britney pulls out everything she has, this generation will be into her.

tbh Scream & Shout was good for her even though a lot of fans hated it. Sadly, her last big hit. A young girl at my work was singing along to it today which surprised me because I didn't think someone her age would care. It's the only positive thing that came from Britney's collab with will.u.not.

7 hours ago, mariomania1234 said:

Gaga is at the the top of her game right now. Acclaimed acting, #1 soundtrack and a worldwide hit with Shallow. No need for these lies.

Gaga the pop star is dead, she died a long time ago. She'd honestly be better off ditching the Gaga facade and getting into serious acting and musical theatre under her real name. 

• Super Mods
10 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

The most frustrating thing is, she still has it. I think deep down we all know that, otherwise we wouldn't be here. We're all waiting for it to "click" for her. If you notice, going all the way back to 2008's "Mannequin" choreography video, Britney is a lot stronger in rehearsals than in the live shows.

Something happens between the rehearsals and opening night that completely throws her off. Take a look at the "I am the Femme Fatale" MTV documentary dance rehearsals and then have a look at the live performances on Good Morning America or Jimmy Kimmel (particularly during 'Big Fat Bass'). They don't compare. In the studio she's focused, in sync with the dancers, totally committed to the performance. On stage she's disconnected from the audience, her face looks like she's scared at times. It's like watching two different people. She doesn't dance full out and misses simple steps. Sometimes she just looks bored or even embarrassed. With each passing show, she becomes more lazy, when normally it's the opposite that's supposed to happen. 

I've seen it in every era post-Circus. We get tiny glimpses at what she is still capable of, but always ends up holding back when there's an audience present. It almost like something drains her energy right before she's about to perform. 

That’s the most frustrating thing. Everyone thinks she doesn’t give a **** or is just forced to but deep down I know she still loves her career and is just as passionate as she is with her children but something is holding her back and I can’t figure it out. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

The most frustrating thing is, she still has it. I think deep down we all know that, otherwise we wouldn't be here. We're all waiting for it to "click" for her. If you notice, going all the way back to 2008's "Mannequin" choreography video, Britney is a lot stronger in rehearsals than in the live shows.

Something happens between the rehearsals and opening night that completely throws her off. Take a look at the "I am the Femme Fatale" MTV documentary dance rehearsals and then have a look at the live performances on Good Morning America or Jimmy Kimmel (particularly during 'Big Fat Bass'). They don't compare. In the studio she's focused, in sync with the dancers, totally committed to the performance. On stage she's disconnected from the audience, her face looks like she's scared at times. It's like watching two different people. She doesn't dance full out and misses simple steps. Sometimes she just looks bored or even embarrassed. With each passing show, she becomes more lazy, when normally it's the opposite that's supposed to happen. 

I've seen it in every era post-Circus. We get tiny glimpses at what she is still capable of, but always ends up holding back when there's an audience present. It almost like something drains her energy right before she's about to perform. 

Probably anxiety.

14 hours ago, 2K16NEY said:

She’s a nostalgia act, yes, that’s one of the biggest reasons... BUT

Britney doesn’t want to be relevant again. She stays hidden because she doesn’t want the attention. She views performing as a 9 to 5 job - go in, perform, then go home and that’s that. No promotion, photoshoots, interviews, nothing.

Also, the new generation of kids and teenagers honestly don’t know the impact of Britney Spears.

At least when I was growing up, Madonna and Michael Jackson were always in the media and still doing interviews and stayed relatively in the spotlight so even though their prime was 20 years my senior, I still knew who they were.

With Britney... kids don’t know her music, her performances, some of them don’t even know her name and if they do... they associate it with some 90’s act who had 1 or 2 hit songs (BOMT and Toxic).

It’s sad to say but her ‘legacy’ is dying... Like yeah she’ll always be regarded as a pop icon but she is no Madonna or Michael Jackson... which she had SO much potential to be during her prime.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, her obvious lack of growth and loss of talent is another big reason why. She is cringey to watch and kids watching her current performances will never understand why she was so big to begin with. :kyliecry:

Britney is the new Paula Abdul... That's how I see her right now, she is beginning to be forgotten... 

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, Spearsfan said:

I agree. It’s sad because she could have been that icon but Beyoncé, Taylor, and even Gaga will end up being more remembered over time I bet. Sad but true

You’re kidding me right? People will always remember her school girl image. 20 years later and people still remember her. That’s a long *** time in the pop world. Every artists goes through their down years, look at Mariah having many flop eras until she finally fully came back. It’s not a science folks, you can’t say put this and put that and you get that. She might not be as famous but look at how many young kids are familiar with her and how much she influenced today’s popstars. She left her mark and no one can’t take that away. Whitney’s career was like a very slow down fall and just like Britney she had her demons but no matter what people still revere her as an icon. Marilyn Monroe was considered a joke in Hollywood no matter how hard she tried to brush off her dumb blonde persona but you still see people toting her face on bags around. Madonna has a lot of hits but people keep going back to her old hits because they are classics and Baby one more time is now considered a classic. You can’t take that away from her so yes she will always be remembered, what are you expecting?

she is human and priorities change as you grow older. 

She enjoys performing and making music but that's not her priority, is just one of them. 

I think she prioritises having the right balance and she prioritises being with her loved ones more, i probably would do the same. 

She releases music and jumps on stage but she will never be that Britney that is on every single screen and advert and tabloid again. 

12 hours ago, nels64 said:

Yes but they weren't popular almost at all between 2008 and 2015. Even then they weren't necessarily popular on the radio between 2015 and now. I'm just saying random **** happens and Brendon Urie decided to kick his promo schedule into overdrive and put himself out there a bit more. 

Just because she isn't popular on the radio NOW doesn't mean she NEVER will be again. I think saying absolutes like "she will NEVER be relevant again" is silly. Because she is "relevant" and always will be maybe not in the sense that she has any top 10 hits on the radio in recent years, but she's still a well respected artist and she is still pretty talked about for someone who keeps to herself the amount that she does.

If anything her current state of being has done wonders for her image. After Circus and during FF until about 2014, the GP would call her a robot and generally say she's untalented.

Now the nostalgia kicked in, she had a successful Vegas show, and she posts funny **** on instagram. She's in the GP's graces now. She's looked at as the legendary Britney Spears and it doesn't matter what she does from now on. Yeah people will criticize her laziness etc, but that's really just within the fanbase. A lot of the negativity surrounding her in the puplic eye has somewhat faded away. In fact people now look at her breakdown and understand it and defend it in a way. 

If she ever wanted to (which she pretty clearly doesn't) she could probably have a hit song again or be super relevant.

But her days as the IT girl are over. She's just a pop icon that does her thing and then lives her ordinary life and I think that's fine tbh. All I want is new music from time to time honestly. 

I disagree. 

I can understand where you think this

but

Its been too long and you are mentioning ppl that have consistently been out there and have kept ppl talking. 

Britney is so far off ppl’s radar. Yes ppl will always remember Toxic and BOMT but her legacy isn’t carrying as strong as it once was for Britney herself has lost everything that made her brand. 

Say she tried to be out there more she could deff win some ppl back and do better than currently but it would take work and I don’t see that happening. 

All she currently has as an artist is Vegas and with every excuse ppl make up it is no way making ppl run and buy tickets anymore like previously. People are losing interest and quick. Say what you want but during FF all of us would have said she would never flop and here we are.... so no Britney is not as stable in her legacy as others. It’s because she gave up way too early. 

Archived