Can Britney be relevant again?

jamesedward94

And if so, what will it take?

I believe the right song can do wonders for anyone’s career. She also needs to prove to the public she can still dance well. We’ve seen it in some Instagram videos, but she needs to go on live tv and make people talk. I truly believe she can have a Mariah Emancipation era, I just don’t know if she cares enough to make it happen. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the answer is no, so no need to elaborate. even if she magically started delivering (which she won't), it wouldn't matter. literally nobody cares anymore and she's been around so long that everyone's opinion of her is completely solidified.

not to mention, radio stations don't want to play her anymore and the younger generation that streams tons of music have zero interest in her. so in terms of charting, which is a big measure of relevance, her numbers will never be impressive again.

No because first and foremost you have to want it. Britney doesn’t. 

Hits don’t just happen anymore. It’s takes along time to get enough audience to get a number 1 now. 

Britney has such a small audience. Look at her streaming numbers. There is literally no way unless she commits. 

Ariana had to had a huge breakup and be on the grind for months to get a number one but once you get to that audience you basically are set for good numbers for a bit. 

4 minutes ago, David Rose said:

the answer is no, so no need to elaborate. even if she magically started delivering (which she won't), it wouldn't matter. literally nobody cares anymore and she's been around so long that everyone's opinion of her is completely solidified.

not to mention, radio stations don't want to play her anymore and the younger generation that streams tons of music have zero interest in her. so in terms of charting, which is a big measure of relevance, her numbers will never be impressive again.

Hence the residency.

2 minutes ago, Ringleader34 said:

Hence the residency.

exactly. which I'm not against. sure I would like a better show with better dancing and better costumes and more effort. but the residency itself is not a bad thing for her at all, and it baffles me that so many anti-residency fans here cant seem to see that.

7 minutes ago, David Rose said:

exactly. which I'm not against. sure I would like a better show with better dancing and better costumes and more effort. but the residency itself is not a bad thing for her at all, and it baffles me that so many anti-residency fans here cant seem to see that.

It’s the best thing for her.  I’ve said it a million (billion) times.  She’s an aging pop star who for reasons possibly beyond her control hasn’t had a big reinvention.  The music has been good, but extremely safe since Circus.  I believe there’s a lot we don’t know and may never know.  Britney could actually enjoy the type of artist she is and that’s why she’s happy not changing but at the same time is suffering the consequences (well, she’s not suffering - she’s still making big money).  I’ve also said the things some don’t like could actually just come down to it being a product of her taste (clothing especially).  

We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but at this point you can either enjoy what comes our way or move on.

I just realized she's had the same choreographers for the last 5 years.. maybe she wasn't able to shine under them. Maybe she'll have more of chance with NappyTabs. We clearly see she still loves to dance on her IG.. she has rhythm she just needs the right people to bring it out. And also the drive which I do think she has. She just isn't happy being a public celebrity anymore, hence no interviews, photoshoots, endorsements, etc.

Can she? Yes. Will she be? No. 

She has a huge name and the current wave of 90s nostalgia on her side, she just won’t utilize it. 

And he said “relevant”, that doesn’t necessarily have to be through a hit. A definition of hit is broad anyways, something Exhale has never truly been able to grasp. “ZOMG not TOP10 FLOPPPPPP! Can’t dance retire! Zomg!!”.

1 hour ago, Spearsfan said:

No because first and foremost you have to want it. Britney doesn’t. 

Hits don’t just happen anymore. It’s takes along time to get enough audience to get a number 1 now. 

Britney has such a small audience. Look at her streaming numbers. There is literally no way unless she commits. 

Ariana had to had a huge breakup and be on the grind for months to get a number one but once you get to that audience you basically are set for good numbers for a bit. 

Glory says hello and Britney promoted that

Make Me went #1 on iTunes and kept seeing increases 

People loved what they heard and went and bought it

Dont compare Brit to struggle artist like Ariana

Like all the ones before her, she has faded. I don’t even bother reading threads here on what she needs to do to have a better career because it simply wouldn’t matter. She is a legend and that’s all she’ll be from here on out. Down vote me but also book mark me. Nothing she does is different than what’s out now, the only difference? She’s working against younger more vocally talented people. Without her performance abilities Britney has nothing to offer the general public. She isn’t relatable anymore in any aspect. I Stan her and always will but I’m not delusional at all when it comes to her relevancy. Anyone who sees her shows in Vegas or on tour are going for what she WAS. Most people don’t care for her new stuff but it doesn’t matter because her past work is iconic. She’ll always have touring just like Madonna and Mariah will. 

It depends on what terms of "relevant" you mean:

- If it's about being an 'it girl' again, then a big fat NO. She's old now (I know 37 is not that old, but she's not this hottie girl anymore, even though she has a great body, she doesn't have that swag anymore).

- If you're talking about getting a #1 hit. Yes she can, but she doesn't care enough, so maybe it won't happen ever again.

- If you're talking about star power, well, she's still a big name, a legend, A-list celebrity, etc. But sadly, she doesn't gaf about none of that ****, so it doesn't matter anyways...

So in general, probably the answer is NO. :bedtime:

1 hour ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Glory says hello and Britney promoted that

Make Me went #1 on iTunes and kept seeing increases 

People loved what they heard and went and bought it

Dont compare Brit to struggle artist like Ariana

And still radio didn't want to play Make Me... even after the fabulous idea of the executives to make a mashup with Me, Myself and I.

At this point, what she SHOULD do, or what her career should be about, is just releasing stuff for the fans, and not expecting it to go #1 on the charts. But I guess that isn't attractive to record label's execs that have to pay for a videoclip or an album. And that clearly isn't a priority for Britney or her team, since that won't change, either increasing or decreasing, the ticket sales, which is their biggest source of income right now.

15 minutes ago, nels64 said:

I mean look at Panic! At the Disco. They have their first top 5 ever after being around since 2006. 

It could randomly happen again but I don’t think right now is going to be that time.

Which is INSANE because Brendan is so freaking talented! 

Britney will always be relevant.  At this point, after 20+ years of superstardom, she’s like Madonna, Cher, Mariah, etc.- no matter how hard she flops, or how “uncool”  she is, or how much bad press she gets, her name will remain A-list, just because she’s been so hugely successful, influential, and controversial, similar to those women I mentioned. 

Archived