The Beginning Of Britney's Downfall

IconicShow

what do yall even mean "downfall"? she's still v successful for someone who is in the 20th year of their career and has not had an aggressive marketing scheme in more than half a decade. she still has a very strong brand name, sells tickets, and generates press with her appearances. 

the Britney era did not flop. it sold less than BOMT and OIDIA, but that was almost a given. 13 million copies isnt bad. the singles did poorly because of the radio ban and her label not releasing physical singles.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things didn't take a proper toll until she broke her leg, cancelled the Onyx Hotel tour and then was seen with Kevin. Its from there when step by step, things became difficult within her career and things in general just weren't going well at all. Before then she was still slaying it with promo, performances, music videos and her tour. The Britney era wasn't a beginning of a downfall. It quite simply was where she started to experience her first real scandals and where things just didn't go as well as planned or as expected. The cancellation of tour dates, comparisons of previous album sales with sales of her 3rd album release, negative reviews of Crossroads, tabloid drama over her split with JT, and the radio ban all played a part as fine examples. Some seem to think that she was tarnished after her split with JT, but that's not exactly true. People just think that because she was viewed as America's Sweetheart during her first two albums and had an almost perfect reputation and image. When the Britney era came around, Britney had evolved into a more ****, daring pop star that pushed the enveloper (while still young) with a more R&B sound all while going through a scandalous split with JT through the Britney era, which for the first time had an actual real negative effect upon her strong reputation and career. Her reputation may have gone from squeaky clean, to controversial and mixed since her split with JT, but it wasn't tarnished like it was during her breakdown. Britney was still very popular and in demand.  

Getting involved with Kevin and everything after is where it all spiraled down and went out of control. That was the beginning where it made things so bad for Britney to the point where she had to go down the 'comeback and reformed' route to brush away the past and get back to the top. The Britney era was just the first time where the world saw Britney's career, music sales and personal life not seem so perfect and run so smoothly or successfully. Her involvement with Kevin and everything after is what made things go downwards in all areas though.   

Also her 3rd album did not flop either. Just because it didn't meet expectations, or sell as much as her previous albums, doesn't make it a flop at all.

This is gonna sound sad, but when she got pregnant and onwards 2007, her personal life was a mess and that was pretty much when majority fans (and GP especially) abandoned as well, it was a lot to recover from from there on and she has really changed since then too. I am firm believer had her albums from then on happened to 2000-2003 Britney they would have been way bigger than what they we got them to be.

In the zone - absofuckinlutely not. I was present during that era, the only reason her sales were declining because of competition at that time (it was enormous) and her change of sound into more mature, but her the awards, huge promo, sold out shows, merch, Toxic, she was all people talked and breathed every moment of the day. Her daily life was followed in every first page of every tabloid. Britney Spears went to poop and you knew about it.

Her era is doing great. I’m not a fan but you are delusional 

Okay I am a fan, I met her, swiftie forever 5ever and what not, and she's doing ****. She did no promo for her album and I can't even sell my damn ticket (I got excited and bought a few) right by the stage for what I actually paid for in a freakin Rose Bowl. #bitter

Well, people have always enjoyed being witnesses of someone’s fall. So, I’d say that her decline started the moment she turned into a celebrity. 

However, I think this is more complex that it seems. In fact, I think it involves different variables (internal/external) that affected directly to britney’s career, private life and legacy.

On 07/03/2018 at 3:52 AM, Dirk said:

2002: Justin broke up with her, she allegedly cheated on him, wasn't considered a role model anymore (also her parents divorced too, she was fragile on tour).

2003: Party hard, started smoking and abusing alcohol,  her image was changing, too ****** (society back then and still is today (but waking) against a woman being that liberated)

2004: K-Fed/Chaotic happened, media was harsh on her because K-fed girl was pregnant and he was trash, started experimenting weed with husband, broken knee and canceled a tour.

2005: White trash, she almost dropped Sean Preston on the street, magazines picked on her and a lot of bad rumors, the peak was the Matt Lauer interview where she looked lost, miserable, considered white trash and with a failing marriage.

2006: another child but she dropped K-fed at the end of the year, people started having some hopes on her and started to understand her fragile state of mind.

2007: party hard with Paris Hilton, neglected her kids according to the media and K-fed, lost custody, umbrella, failed VMA performance and the rest you know.

2008: c-ship. etc.

Actually, it was 6 years of abuse! from people around her, media, everything... a lot of ups and downs. NOT EASY tbh.

omg, I love her, such a strong woman!

:yasqueen:

You have the dates wrong on a lot of these points

On 3/6/2018 at 9:35 PM, PoshSpice said:

This is gonna sound sad, but when she got pregnant and onwards 2007, her personal life was a mess and that was pretty much when majority fans (and GP especially) abandoned as well, it was a lot to recover from from there on and she has really changed since then too. I am firm believer had her albums from then on happened to 2000-2003 Britney they would have been way bigger than what they we got them to be.

In the zone - absofuckinlutely not. I was present during that era, the only reason her sales were declining because of competition at that time (it was enormous) and her change of sound into more mature, but her the awards, huge promo, sold out shows, merch, Toxic, she was all people talked and breathed every moment of the day. Her daily life was followed in every first page of every tabloid. Britney Spears went to poop and you knew about it.

Okay I am a fan, I met her, swiftie forever 5ever and what not, and she's doing ****. She did no promo for her album and I can't even sell my damn ticket (I got excited and bought a few) right by the stage for what I actually paid for in a freakin Rose Bowl. #bitter

Doesn’t matter if she did zero promo, her album still is doing great. She probably will be on best sellers this year for her album from last year. If it’s a single ticket those are obviously hard to sell 

In 2001 she started getting a lot more backlash for the shift in her image and music but I think she still had that baby/oops eras cute side of her people still bought, especially in interviews. The break up with Justin and the cheating rumours had a lot more people turn their back on her.

She pushed the **** side a lot more for ITZ, quit the whole sweet innocent image and things like when she talked politics or so probably didn’t help. Still, she had a huge fan base behind her and her sales and chart numbers show.

When she started dating Kevin and she married him 4 months later she became a joke to a big part of the GP imo. I think most people thought she was straight white trash. And then the time when Preston almost falls and when she drove with him on her lap made her seem like a bad mother when she was just unexperienced and making mistakes I’m sure most mothers do.

When she filled for divorce in Nov 2006 people were rooting for her but then she started partying and doing stupid s--t and well.. the rest is history

• 2 years later...

never understood the hate she got from the marriage to Jason Alexander. She was just being young and careless after years of hard work. I get that it broke her perfect image but she did nothing wrong. Actually she’s never done anything wrong, the gp just loved to critize her.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:52 AM, IconicShow said:

Britney's 3rd album flopped

On 3/6/2018 at 4:53 AM, WhatEverYouWant said:

The downfall commercially started with Britney (album)

Lets get **** straight...

Britney WASNT a flop! It is her third most successful era!

Receipts?

First week sales: 745,000 copies sold 

Decrease percentage from last album (OIDIA): 56.52% drop in sales

Artist that have managed to sell 1 million in their first week, have an album after it that faces a 70%-90% decrease in sales.

Britney become the first female artist to have 3 consecutive No.1 albums, that too 3  consecutive albums with 500k sales and above

Britney managed to sell 7 million copies by the end of the 2001, and was the second-best selling female album of 2001

The only reasons the Britney singles didnt chart high was because of the radio ban she had from 2001-2004, but internationally the songs were HUGE hits, with Slave 4 U going top 10 in 25 different countriesNo.4 in the Billboard Dance-Pop Chart and even has sold  nearly 4 million singles and above. Overprotected was a top 10 hit in 16 countries whereas even Not a girl not yet a woman was a Top 3 hit in 8 countries.

Also if we add single sales, TSPC and CSPC to Britneys pure sales...

I'm a Slave 4 u- 3,900,000

Overprotected- 1,620,000

Im Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman- 1,800,000

I Love Rock N' Roll- 1,000,000

Anticipating- 150,000

Boys- 1,250,000

OTHER TRACKS: 550,000

Britney (album) sales- 20 million copies (confirmed by JIVE

Total Era Sales- 29,720,000

Thats nearly 30 million era sales!

So how is this according to you a flop? The album was far from a flop, and the media said such crap like that because they were on Justins side when they broke up, and they would do anything to tear Britney up.

ITZ too was a huge hit, so that album too wasnt a flop.

Thus, she started declining only after the chaotic era started :oprah:

Archived