The Beginning Of Britney's Downfall

IconicShow

For many most think it was the Blackout era and ITZ era that Britney lost most her fans.

I remember on MTV, they were asking Britney on how she feels about fans that made her and essentially growing up and being sexier changing her image, and leaving the kids that made her behind.

Related image

After album #2 is when Britney began to decline.

According to sales figures Crossroads tanked, Britney and Justin broke up, Britney's 3rd album flopped, via the press even Britney mentioned that they thought her 3rd effort flopped in W Magazine, but pointed out her 3rd album sold as much as Avril Lavigne's first album.

Britney dropped the ICONIC Slave 4 you VMA performance and HOT VIDEO, this showed Britney at her raunchiest. 

Related image

Bad press continued to follow Britney, with her quickie marriage to Jason Alexander, ITZ era to Britney's singles tanking on the charts up until Blackout, Circus, Femme Fatale, Britney Jean and Glory brought Britney singles to the top 30 on the BB 100. 

Britney's restaurant NYLA tanked, and she said she was going on a break, during this break was the beginning of many things the GP began to see via paparazzi photos, videos.

The break up tore her up as it did her reputation, and how people seen Britney, the decline began. 

Image result for britney spears justin break up magazineImage result for britney spears justin break up magazine

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no doubt she faced hardship and struggles, especially from 2002 onwards, but I believe the beginning of her downfall was when she injured her knee during the Outrageous video shoot in June 04.

IMO, that was the first time the general public and fans noticed a far less polished, professional Britney from the aftermath of it. I think the physical effects from the knee injury took a toll on her mentally and I think it was just a really sad time/transition for not only Britney fans, but the music industry as a whole. That was probably the moment in time where her priorities shifted and she didn't want to live up to being 'Britney Spears - bubblegum pop princess' anymore. The pressure was surreal and it's obvious that she wanted to break away but she was stuck in this pop machine/empire that she and her team had crafted for herself. Unknowingly, she wasn't aware of the drawbacks that fame would bring forth when trying to settle down and/or raise a family. It was truly the beginning of the end.:(

33 minutes ago, Donal said:

No.

the downfall began when she decided to go to Vegas for 4 years, during this time people forgot she was still alive and wondering if she was still relevant.

i’m not saying Vegas is a bad thing. It helped her recover from the meds she took during Ff era.

She managed to stay on top even when Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and her likes were strong and competitive as hell during 2008-2012.

then after 2013 she went to Vegas and vanished from this world. Taylor Swift became the number 1 pop girl in the industry. (I know some butthurt people refuse to redeem Taylor, but it is what it is.)

I think we're talking about her downfall on a personal basis rather than her professional life or relevancy. 

The downfall commercially started with Britney (album) but at the time she was still a huge celebrity and was selling about the same as her peers. She took another hit with ITZ, but that album only had 3 singles released and a cancelled tour and she was still selling about the same as her peers. The downfall really started to snowball after she met Kevin and got pregnant. She spent the next few years after being ridiculed and torn apart by the press and GP.

I would say her real downfall started in 04. That’s when it changed from just haters hating on Britney to EVERYBODY hating on Britney. Sure, she made a comeback with Circus but the downfall continued commercially due to her lack of promo. 

1 minute ago, WhatEverYouWant said:

The downfall commercially started with Britney (album) but at the time she was still a huge celebrity and was selling about the same as her peers. She took another hit with ITZ, but that album only had 3 singles released and a cancelled tour and she was still selling about the same as her peers. The downfall really started to snowball after she met Kevin and got pregnant. She spent the next few years after being ridiculed and torn apart by the press and GP.

I would say her real downfall started in 04. That’s when it changed from just haters hating on Britney to EVERYBODY hating on Britney. Sure, she made a comeback with Circus but the downfall continued commercially due to her lack of promo. 

This.

It started to creep in with her marriage to Jason Alexander.

But it was her marriage to Kevin and her embrace of "white trash" as her brand that really started to turn the GP against her.

2vug3lh.jpg

1 hour ago, Donal said:

No.

the downfall began when she decided to go to Vegas for 4 years, during this time people forgot she was still alive and wondering if she was still relevant.

i’m not saying Vegas is a bad thing. It helped her recover from the meds she took during Ff era.

She managed to stay on top even when Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and her likes were strong and competitive as hell during 2008-2012.

then after 2013 she went to Vegas and vanished from this world. Taylor Swift became the number 1 pop girl in the industry. (I know some butthurt people refuse to redeem Taylor, but it is what it is.)

I think you're almost right. I think that X Factor was a big career mistake, yes she made millions of dollars, but she often looked kind of off and she wasn't that great of a judge. Even Simon Cowell said he hired someone who couldn't talk. After that came her collaborations with will.i.am (which eventually lead to her least favorably reviewed album, Britney Jean.) Then came the plastic surgery, and two back to back scrapped eras with only 2 singles each. You're right though, Las Vegas was the final nail in the coffin.

Can she still make a comeback? Of course. All she needs is to let her fillers dissolve finally, hire a stylist and good makeup artist, put out some good music, release a full 4 singles, learn some good choreography, and do a decent amount of promo.

Will that happen? Who knows. Britney is full of surprises, and anything could happen. :mhm: 

I agree to a point. The reason Taylor is so huge is because she is very kid friendly ppl aren’t turned off by anything from her and she will continue to do well for that reason.

Britney’s true downfall was 2012 until now. Her lack of improvements and Vegas made ppl really uninterested. 

Crossroads did not flop

The budget for the movie was 10 million

The movie grossed over 30 something million dollars, so it made its budget back and more.

Her 3rd album was considered a flop by her standard when comparing it to how her 1st and 2nd album sold.  Her third album sold 5 million which is good.

1 hour ago, DignifiedLove said:

There's no doubt she faced hardship and struggles, especially from 2002 onwards, but I believe the beginning of her downfall was when she injured her knee during the Outrageous video shoot in June 04.

IMO, that was the first time the general public and fans noticed a far less polished, professional Britney from the aftermath of it. I think the physical effects from the knee injury took a toll on her mentally and I think it was just a really sad time/transition for not only Britney fans, but the music industry as a whole. That was probably the moment in time where her priorities shifted and she didn't want to live up to being 'Britney Spears - bubblegum pop princess' anymore. The pressure was surreal and it's obvious that she wanted to break away but she was stuck in this pop machine/empire that she and her team had crafted for herself. Unknowingly, she wasn't aware of the drawbacks that fame would bring forth when trying to settle down and/or raise a family. It was truly the beginning of the end.:(

100% agree.  I would also add Kevin Federline was a downfall.

3 hours ago, Spearsfan said:

I agree to a point. The reason Taylor is so huge is because she is very kid friendly ppl aren’t turned off by anything from her and she will continue to do well for that reason.

Britney’s true downfall was 2012 until now. Her lack of improvements and Vegas made ppl really uninterested. 

Taylor Swift is mediocre as **** and her latest era not doing too well 

5 hours ago, Donal said:

No.

You are dumb for that first paragraph saying she was forgotten in Vegas. Lots of folks travel to Vegas and she had a billboard, now how the **** is she forgotten in a highly traveled city.

Her downfall began when Work ***** was released as she announced her residency in Las Vegas. It was a moderate hit but performed poorly compared to previous lead singles. Pretty much zero promotion didn’t help and Britney Jean performed poorly too. The general public have forgotten she exists. I have people I work with who don’t even know some of her new material... That was not the case during the Circus and Femme Fatale era 

Archived