The Beginning Of Britney's Downfall

IconicShow

7 minutes ago, IIOnly PopII said:

Lets get **** straight...

Britney WASNT a flop! It is her third most successful era!

Receipts?

First week sales: 745,000 copies sold 

Decrease percentage from last album (OIDIA): 56.52% drop in sales

Artist that have managed to sell 1 million in their first week, have an album after it that faces a 70%-90% decrease in sales.

Britney become the first female artist to have 3 consecutive No.1 albums, that too 3  consecutive albums with 500k sales and above

Britney managed to sell 7 million copies by the end of the 2001, and was the second-best selling female album of 2001

The only reasons the Britney singles didnt chart high was because of the radio ban she had from 2001-2004, but internationally the songs were HUGE hits, with Slave 4 U going top 10 in 25 different countriesNo.4 in the Billboard Dance-Pop Chart and even has sold  nearly 4 million singles and above. Overprotected was a top 10 hit in 16 countries whereas even Not a girl not yet a woman was a Top 3 hit in 8 countries.

Also if we add single sales, TSPC and CSPC to Britneys pure sales...

I'm a Slave 4 u- 3,900,000

Overprotected- 1,620,000

Im Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman- 1,800,000

I Love Rock N' Roll- 1,000,000

Anticipating- 150,000

Boys- 1,250,000

OTHER TRACKS: 550,000

Britney (album) sales- 20 million copies (confirmed by JIVE

Total Era Sales- 29,720,000

Thats nearly 30 million era sales!

So how is this according to you a flop? The album was far from a flop, and the media said such crap like that because they were on Justins side when they broke up, and they would do anything to tear Britney up.

ITZ too was a huge hit, so that album too wasnt a flop.

Thus, she started declining only after the chaotic era started :oprah:

And it was nominated for Grammy :makeitrain:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let’s not forget the Britney era would’ve been huge had her team not pissed off radio sponsors. I feel like she would’ve charted higher but something like her team made a deal with another company that competed with the biggest radio sponsors of that time (clear, ever clear... what was the name of that company?) anyway because of the lack of push from radio her music especially during the Britney and ITZ eras were not played or promoted by radio really. Toxic should’ve been number one but Larry and jive messed that up. 

On 3/6/2018 at 12:37 AM, AGUILEGEND IS A QUEEN said:

There's no doubt she faced hardship and struggles, especially from 2002 onwards, but I believe the beginning of her downfall was when she injured her knee during the Outrageous video shoot in June 04.

IMO, that was the first time the general public and fans noticed a far less polished, professional Britney from the aftermath of it. I think the physical effects from the knee injury took a toll on her mentally and I think it was just a really sad time/transition for not only Britney fans, but the music industry as a whole. That was probably the moment in time where her priorities shifted and she didn't want to live up to being 'Britney Spears - bubblegum pop princess' anymore. The pressure was surreal and it's obvious that she wanted to break away but she was stuck in this pop machine/empire that she and her team had crafted for herself. Unknowingly, she wasn't aware of the drawbacks that fame would bring forth when trying to settle down and/or raise a family. It was truly the beginning of the end.:(

This.

While I do agree that 2002 ‘started’ the downfall, she was still on the absolute top and damage could still have been controlled. After the Outrageous injury we were simply cursed.

Media and people starting tearing her apart from the very beginning.

And as the time went haters numbers grew and peoples opinion that she was talentless,  just a doll, couldn't sing, couldn't act and even was a bad dancer comparing to a professional dancer like Jlo (never understood that side), Then VMA oops happened and adding Billboard cover she become a very bad role model very fast. Then slave and then a kiss with Madonna. 

Number of the haters (regardless to Media) was so HUGE I can't even express with words. 

Everyone wanted to say something bad about her, most of them did. 

The main narrative was that it was a really embarrassing to listen to Britneys music because she was talentless, basic, childish and people started no aware her in the beginning of oops era. But she still was unstoppable cause she captivated people back then so much.. even people say that she was the worst out there they were still listening to her, searching her in internet but started hiding that.  That's why in Britney era she sold so much less even she was #1 trend in the world.

It's just sad that people made of her the easiest target for abuse..  and when she got married and stopped releasing music the only thing left to the media was her personal life. 

Still don;t understand that narrative - why media and people hate her so much and trying to abuse her/lie about her/injur her reputation - The most logical explanation for me is that media was paid cause she was too huge..

Archived