That time Britney performed in her BOMT costume and predicted the future...

Mr. Lucky

Just now, zxcvb said:

But if it was her idea to were school uniforms and the director & jive "elaborated on" that, who deserves credit for the famous school girl image?

You seriously think a 16 year old GIRL had more say than execs with LOTS of money to risk? :weirdmeout: maybe she did create the whole schoolgirl image but it seems very unlikely that a 16 year old would want that kind of controversy to make it big no matter how much you want to be a star. Most 16 year olds don't even know what they want for breakfast let alone how to court controversy 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just put myself in her shoes. I mean she's 16, she just signed a record deal, people at the label probably telling her she had everything in her favor to become a star (looks, age, voice, etc), she tells label execs she wants to be like Madonna, etc,. I don't doubt that it was her idea to do the whole schoolgirl thing. She wanted to impress & she was living the dream. The label execs KNEW this. She was not some dumb girl they found. They KNEW they had a teenage girl with the potential to become a star in front of them and she wanted this. I mean, I'm not saying they asked her directly the direction she wanted for the video, but she was not afraid either to share her ideas.

Would you think that label execs were not gonna take her lead when her idea was a schoolgirl and their idea was freaking robots (or was it monsters?) fighting her? I think she was trying to do something risky like Madonna. TBH, if I was her mom lol I would have never let my child dress like that at 16 especially for a music video, but alas, her mom wanted this as well. I don't think I have any doubts that it was Britney's idea. I think that as time went on, the label did push the *** agenda with Britney and they "pressured" (for a lack of a better word) to keep that image. Maybe she never imagined the backlash she would get, or maybe she thought at first she would have more control or she could control it. But at that time, giving the circumstances she was in and that she was living THE dream, I do think it was her idea.

But maybe we'll never know for certain.

30 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

You seriously think a 16 year old GIRL had more say than execs with LOTS of money to risk? :weirdmeout: maybe she did create the whole schoolgirl image but it seems very unlikely that a 16 year old would want that kind of controversy to make it big no matter how much you want to be a star. Most 16 year olds don't even know what they want for breakfast let alone how to court controversy 

Evidence is evidence.  And in that clip she takes credit for wearing school uniforms.  Now whoever decided to blow up the music video on MTV/Disney Channel is who's responsible for the controversy.  

And I think the Rolling Stone Cover was more controversial because there are like 10 girls dressed the exact same way as Britney in the video and she's only in the school girl outfit for a third of the video.

47 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

See I used to think like you, but it's not like that. Sometimes the artists actually get their way when they have the execs realize it's a good idea.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/ryanschocket2/zendaya-talked-about-the-time-she-ran-****-in-a-room-disney

Britney was marketed as that innocent little girl but she was far from it. It was her idea to unbutton her blouse in that David LaChapelle shoot when Larry walked out of the room.

5 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

See I used to think like you, but it's not like that. Sometimes the artists actually get their way when they have the execs realize it's a good idea.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/ryanschocket2/zendaya-talked-about-the-time-she-ran-****-in-a-room-disney

Britney was marketed as that innocent little girl but she was far from it. It was her idea to unbutton her blouse in that David LaChapelle shoot when Larry walked out of the room.

Yeah but this wasn't in the 90s when the charts were ruled by manufactered pop acts & isn't zendaya older here than Britney was during baby? Plus she was already on a disney show previous so she had that experience & probably knew the disney execs well enough to voice her opinion like britney did later on in her career with Jive. Jive were still trying to control everything even when Britney was old enough to make her own decisions like going to the radio with mona lisa, i don't doubt britney had a say but I don't think she had that much control at 16

2 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

Yeah but this wasn't in the 90s when the charts were ruled by manufactered pop acts & isn't zendaya older here than Britney was during baby? Plus she was already on a disney show previous so she had that experience & probably knew the disney execs well enough to voice her opinion like britney did later on in her career with Jive. Jive were still trying to control everything even when Britney was old enough to make her own decisions like going to the radio with mona lisa, i don't doubt britney had a say but I don't think she had that much control at 16

The charts are still ruled by manufactured pop acts LOL. All pop acts are manufactured. Everything is a gimmick.

Zendaya is older now but at the time of the story, she was 16, just like Britney.

Jive pulling the plug on Original Doll wasn't "controlling" at all. Britney took a raw demo and serviced it to a Top 40 radio station herself without the label knowing and passed it off as her lead single. You think Jive wasn't going to be pissed? Britney is under contract and she can't just air new demos on national radio without label permission.

1 minute ago, BoyToySoldier said:

The charts are still ruled by manufactured pop acts LOL. All pop acts are manufactured. Everything is a gimmick.

Zendaya is older now but at the time of the story, she was 16, just like Britney.

Jive pulling the plug on Original Doll wasn't "controlling" at all. Britney took a raw demo and serviced it to a Top 40 radio station herself without the label knowing and passed it off as her lead single. You think Jive wasn't going to be pissed? Britney is under contract and she can't just air new demos on national radio without label permission.

I know most pop is manufactured in fact I feel that further proves my point I still don't believe Britney had much say as a newbie at 16 but we will agree to disagree, and I don't know much about disney or its stars now to compare. You think Britney wasn't pissed that as a grown woman she couldn't make the music she wanted? Of course jive would be pissed but I can understand it from her point of view why should would rebel against them. 

Aw look at her dancing at the end. She's so cute. It's amazing how much she'd got on to achieve!

also, I'm so glad she doesn't do these kinds of performances for dance numbers anymore. I'm here for great dancing, or sweet live vocals, but not non existent dancing for the sake of vocals. It makes a boring performance. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Lucky said:

The prophetical stuff both her and the presenter said at 1:52 though... :calculating:

Sometimes it makes me sad to see videos like this. There was another one I saw years ago of a talk show (I think Rosie O'donel) where Rosie said something about how she hopes she remains a level headed girl throughout fame. She was so young and had no idea of the road ahead:bthink:

9 hours ago, Shadow. said:

She was a popstar who made chart music and was pretty much owned by a record label who wanted the next big thing, her opinion didn't mean ****. They wanted a popstar and they made her one. I don't doubt later in her career she maybe had more say especially with ITZ but in the very beginning I doubt she had more say over execs who had risked money to make her a star.

Well, the execs wanted a power manager animated video lol

Look, I'm not a britard, but Britney deserves credit where it's due 

12 hours ago, Shadow. said:

I know most pop is manufactured in fact I feel that further proves my point I still don't believe Britney had much say as a newbie at 16 but we will agree to disagree, and I don't know much about disney or its stars now to compare. You think Britney wasn't pissed that as a grown woman she couldn't make the music she wanted? Of course jive would be pissed but I can understand it from her point of view why should would rebel against them. 

I get what you're saying, that as a brand, the label wanted to make sure it was controlled by people who studied the trends and knew what was in and what was not (Max Martin, Bubblegum Pop, MidNasal vocals etc.). I doubt Britney had a ton of control over her music or brand when she first came out, but I do think that the label recognized that Britney was also part of the demographic they wanted to appeal to. As much as someone could study the trends and think they know what teens wanted, they had someone who was a teen. she was also in the industry a few years too.

I[m not saying Britney went into label excexs and said ''My name is Britney Spears, I am an artist this is the future: I want this, this and this for my vision,'' or they asked Britney what she wanted to do with BOMT: the album, but I'd say the label recognized that there was a market for the barely legal, wink wink nudge nudge girl next door appeal/wanting to be cool and trendy, and cute that Britney had in the BOMT.... video. So if Britney said ''I think we should do school girl.....'', they would've considered it and then said ''yes, this works better than super hero, lets do that, Britney is comfortable with this too'' if that makes sense?

They're a brand, and Britney was a newbie they wanted to sell, and once they realised that this Girl next door look worked, and knew Britney wasn't shying from it either, they ran with that.

11 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

I get what you're saying, that as a brand, the label wanted to make sure it was controlled by people who studied the trends and knew what was in and what was not (Max Martin, Bubblegum Pop, MidNasal vocals etc.). I doubt Britney had a ton of control over her music or brand when she first came out, but I do think that the label recognized that Britney was also part of the demographic they wanted to appeal to. As much as someone could study the trends and think they know what teens wanted, they had someone who was a teen. she was also in the industry a few years too.

I[m not saying Britney went into label excexs and said ''My name is Britney Spears, I am an artist this is the future: I want this, this and this for my vision,'' or they asked Britney what she wanted to do with BOMT: the album, but I'd say the label recognized that there was a market for the barely legal, wink wink nudge nudge girl next door appeal/wanting to be cool and trendy, and cute that Britney had in the BOMT.... video. So if Britney said ''I think we should do school girl.....'', they would've considered it and then said ''yes, this works better than super hero, lets do that, Britney is comfortable with this too'' if that makes sense?

They're a brand, and Britney was a newbie they wanted to sell, and once they realised that this Girl next door look worked, and knew Britney wasn't shying from it either, they ran with that.

I agree I don't think Britney was forced in any way, its obvious she is very comfortable with her sexuality even from a young age, my point was that I doubt Britney had a lot of input like you said at the beginning, i don't doubt she probably did come up with the schoolgirl idea but I don't think she was the mastermind behind her image. Her label knew what they wanted and they created that and props for them cuz it worked. Its still weird to think that she was only 16/17 though

39 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

I agree I don't think Britney was forced in any way, its obvious she is very comfortable with her sexuality even from a young age, my point was that I doubt Britney had a lot of input like you said at the beginning, i don't doubt she probably did come up with the schoolgirl idea but I don't think she was the mastermind behind her image. Her label knew what they wanted and they created that and props for them cuz it worked. Its still weird to think that she was only 16/17 though

Oh definitely not. I mean the big thing for me is how she talks about her music and image etc. Her interviews were like a slightly more naive FF, everything was like.... cool...and trendy....and y'know.....like......y'know? 

When had more control, even a little, she was able to talk about it more than just cool and trendy (which haunts us now) haha

....did we just agree? haha

Just now, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Oh definitely not. I mean the big thing for me is how she talks about her music and image etc. Her interviews were like a slightly more naive FF, everything was like.... cool...and trendy....and y'know.....like......y'know? 

When had more control, even a little, she was able to talk about it more than just cool and trendy (which haunts us now) haha

....did we just agree? haha

She's never been good at talking about her music because there isn't much to talk about, most of her songs don't have any deep meanings and I know that music doesn't have to be all serious all the time but I would love to see her take a different direction with her music. 

She definitely seemed more passionate about ITZ than any of her records and it still shows to this day, I don't blame her though its her best album imo. 

And yes we did lol, as i've said before I wouldn't have quoted you in that other thread if I didn't wanna discuss, I welcome differing opinions because sometimes that can point out things for me that I didn't think about. It just annoys me when people assume because I don't like the show it means I hate Britney or i'm not a fan when i've supported Britney even through her flops :tiffcackle:

I still don't find anything controversial about the BOMT outfit, or the whole image in general. Well, the virginal, lolita, yet overly sexualized that was the rule in the BOMT era in general, I would probably get it, but the uniform image specifically, or anything from the BOMT video, still seems very normal to me. Maybe for the US there exists this connotation about uniforms and catholic schools, and that kinda makes it more outrageous, like the Blackout photoshoot with the priest, because it comes as playing with something that is almost "sacred" or meant to be "pure". But for the rest of the world it was just an average student girl, with an average uniform, which I believe is what made her universally relatable. It's not like she was wearing a mini-skirt and high heels or something.

Plus at the time, I've always said people looked older at a younger age, if that makes any sense lol Well, actually the thing is that people is looking younger and younger each time, like the trend is to look as young as possible, whereas before they became adults more rapidly, again, if that makes any sense. Like, before a 40 years old was almost an ancient person, now a 40-something can still pass as juvenile. I remember my cousins which are around Britney's age, they looked and behaved like little adults at that age, driving cars, taking care of us, the younger cousins, buying stuff on their own, etc. I'm 24 now, and I'm basically a bearded pre-teen that barely knows how to take the bus lol I think she was just more precocious too.

I don't see it as Britney being in control of everything, but it doesn't surprise me if she had more input than what we would imagine, because overall I think it was already a big risk for them to release an artist like Britney in the middle of an era that was ruled by pop bands, pop bands of young adults, so it's not like she was being the boss, but they were just listening to her ideas, because she knew better the audience she was aiming for, or they were aiming for. She says in that Much interview that she of course didn't have a lot of input in the music itself, because she had to trust the experts in that field, and yet she made sure the lyrics were relatable to people her age, and yet she said she pushed for a song she co-wrote, I'm so Curious, to be part of the record, which wasn't, but ultimately was released as the B-side of Sometimes, so she was actually fighting for her ideas since the beginning, and the record label was kinda listening to her ideas and giving them a try one way or another without interfering with their main plans.

Also, it's not like she came right from her town, she had been part of the MMC before, many musicals or theater plays, I don't know how you call them, been to many auditions, etc, so she already knew a little bit about the industry, at least enough to not be scared to speak her mind about what she liked or what she didn't. Any other person, that is scared to lose their opportunity would've gone with the animated video idea without hesitation, because of the fear of getting fired. But Britney was very clear in what she wanted and what she didn't, and I think it reflected in a lot of the stuff from her early years.

Who would have thought it will change so much years later, with her most of the times being unable to say no to people.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:37 PM, Shadow. said:

she was 16. she didn't think what she was doing was controversial. IN her 16 year old mind, (like most 16 year olds) she though it was a cute outfit and cute idea. Stop over sexualizing  things. She probably saw it as no different than the outfits she wore for gymnastics and dance recitals when she was a kid.

Archived