Every Generation Has A Blackout Level Game Changing Album

Every decade a holy trinity of albums that come along from female pop stars that define the sound of their decade. These albums are innovative and/or game changing for the indie and commercial music scene.

These are my picks...

80s -

Kate Bush "Hounds of Love",

Madonna "Like A Prayer",

Janet Jackson "Control"

Honorable Mention: Sade "Diamond Life"

90s -

Bjork "Post/Homogenic",

Janet Jackson "The Velvet Rope",

Missy Elliot "Supa Dupa Fly"

Honorable Mention: Madonna "Ray of Light"

00s -

M.I.A. "Kala",

Aaliyah "Aaliyah,

Britney "Blackout",

Honorable Mention: Robyn "Robyn"

10s -

Almost Everything by Lana Del Rey,

Rihanna "Anti", 

Grimes "Visions",

Honorable Mention: M3LL155X FKA Twigs

20s -

Grace Ives "Janky Star", 

Rosalia "Motomami"

Dua Lupa "Future Nostalgia"

Honorable Mention:  Charli XCX "Crash"

What are yours?

• Love 2
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, Joshyworld said:

What? “Blackout” didn’t do anything except inspire the likes of Ashley Tisdale and Charli XCX.

“…Baby One More Time” on the other hand was a cultural reset. There was music before and after that album which ultimately shifted the landscape of pop. Some of you Britney fans are extremely delusional lol.

LMAO

There would be no Gaga Fame/Fame Monster without LAMB by Miss Stefani, Kala By MiA and Blackout by Britney.

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, JankyStan said:

LMAO

There would be no Gaga Fame/Fame Monster without LAMB by Miss Stefani, Kala By MiA and Blackout by Britney.

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

You’re really delusional. Gaga recorded the majority of ‘The Fame’ before ‘Blackout’ was released. Not to mention, RedOne and Danja/Timbaland’s sounds couldn’t have been anymore different. If anything, Gaga’s ‘The Fame’ visuals and sonics were mostly inspired by David Bowie and 80’s glam pop. Hell, even ‘Oops’, ‘Britney’, and ‘ITZ’ had more impact on pop music than ‘Blackout’.

Edited by Joshyworld
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Joshyworld said:

You’re really delusional. Gaga recorded the majority of ‘The Fame’ before ‘Blackout’ was released. Not to mention, RedOne and Danja/Timbaland’s sounds couldn’t have been anymore different. If anything, Gaga’s ‘The Fame’ visuals and sonics were mostly inspired by David Bowie and 80’s glam pop. Hell, even ‘Oops’, ‘Britney’, and ‘ITZ’ had more impact on pop music than ‘Blackout’.

How old were you during that era of pop music? LMFAO. Everything Gaga did sounded either inspired by the electro dance pop Britney and Gwen Stefani already started bumping in 2003/2004 half of the fame sounds very Gwen Stefani and/or MIA's Arular and Kala albums. I mean never mind "Paper Gangster".

I mean c'mon. Even "Telephone" sounds like a Blackout cut. ahahahahah. Oh, wait! wasn't that originally written by her and Darkchild for Britney?

I really respect Gaga as an artist but let's not act like she's not the cher/celine of her generation

Edited by JankyStan
  • Love 1
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, JankyStan said:

How old were you during that era of pop music? LMFAO. Everything Gaga did sounded either inspired by the electro dance pop Britney and Gwen Stefani already started bumping in 2003/2004 half of the fame sounds very Gwen Stefani and/or MIA's Arular and Kala albums. I mean never mind "Paper Gangster".

I mean c'mon. Even "Telephone" sounds like a Blackout cut. ahahahahah. Oh, wait! wasn't that originally written by her and Darkchild for Britney?

I really respect Gaga as an artist but let's not act like she's not the cher/celine of her generation

Exactly. Even Gaga's dark aesthetics were inspired by Blackout photoshoot 

Hx1YSjS.gif

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Henry. said:

Exactly. Even Gaga's dark aesthetics were inspired by Blackout photoshoot 

Hx1YSjS.gif

I get annoyed by other stan bases when they come for Blackout's music, artwork and videos.

Gaga has the Bornt This Way covers. And has certain videos that her PR team buried 

Like it kinda makes you wonder Bianca Jean who.

:emma:

10 minutes ago, JankyStan said:

I get annoyed by other stan bases when they come for Blackout's music, artwork and videos.

Gaga has the Bornt This Way covers. And has certain videos that her PR team buried 

Like it kinda makes you wonder Bianca Jean who.

Gaga literally called Britney one of her biggest inspirations so Blackout's impact on The Fame and Born This Way is obvious. How can people listen to these albums and not hear it? It's not only about sound but also about energy, vibes, attitude. Only jealous and delusional stans try to deny it.

Hx1YSjS.gif

Edited by Henry.
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, JankyStan said:

‘Blackout’s sound was the direct result of albums like ‘FS/LS’, ‘Paris’ and ‘Loose’. Hell, she even hired Timbaland’s protege after being inspired by what was on the radio then. Like I said before, ‘The Fame’ was mostly inspired by 80s glam pop. In fact, most of the songs from ‘The Fame’ such as “BDR”, “Summerboy”, “Paparazzi”, “Brown Eyes”, “Retro Dance Freak”, “Disco Heaven”, “Boys Boys Boys”, were written and recorded from November 2006 to May 2007. She sent those songs to Interscope which got her the deal on May 30th, 2007. Throughout the summer of 2007, she spent most of her time performing at local clubs, festivals and that’s when Interscope convinced her to write and produce more songs. She then met with producers Kierszenbaum and RedOne for the first time in August of 2007 where she ended up recording “The Fame”, “Money Honey”, “Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)”, etc.

Keep in mind that this all happened before ‘Blackout’ was released. Musically, ‘The Fame’ was inspired by 80s electropop and synth hooks with a more modern dance twist to it. She's referenced David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Blondie, etc. as the main influences on the album. RedOne also verified this as well. Kierszenbaum even added that ABBA and even a small group like Fun Factory inspired songs like “Eh Eh” and “Summerboy”. Now did Britney’s actual fame during the release of ‘Blackout’ conceptualize themes for Gaga during her debut era? Absolutely, yes but again, as the result of the media spectacle surrounding Britney. Britney's persona and relationship to the media was a main influence of the concept behind ‘The Fame’ era but less so the actual album. You can tell that the songs and visuals for songs like “Paparazzi” were as a direct result of Britney’s personal life. Not to mention, Darkchild was already diving into futuristic electropop sounds from all the way back in 2002 with TLC. The reality is that outside of the few Britney gays on Exhale/Twitter and stan journalists who love to play revisionist history, no one thinks anything of ‘Blackout’ considering there were far more influential albums made in the 2000s. I mean, even ‘(2001) Britney’’s good girl gone bad theme and “Toxic” alone on ‘ITZ’ were more groundbreaking than ‘Blackout.’ Let’s do some research next time, thank you!

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Joshyworld said:

‘Blackout’s sound was the direct result of albums like ‘FS/LS’, ‘Paris’ and ‘Loose’. Hell, she even hired Timbaland’s protege after being inspired by what was on the radio then. Like I said before, ‘The Fame’ was mostly inspired by 80s glam pop. In fact, most of the songs from ‘The Fame’ such as “BDR”, “Summerboy”, “Paparazzi”, “Brown Eyes”, “Retro Dance Freak”, “Disco Heaven”, “Boys Boys Boys”, were written and recorded from November 2006 to May 2007. She sent those songs to Interscope which got her the deal on May 30th, 2007. Throughout the summer of 2007, she spent most of her time performing at local clubs, festivals and that’s when Interscope convinced her to write and produce more songs. She then met with producers Kierszenbaum and RedOne for the first time in August of 2007 where she ended up recording “The Fame”, “Money Honey”, “Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)”, etc.

Keep in mind that this all happened before ‘Blackout’ was released. Musically, ‘The Fame’ was inspired by 80s electropop and synth hooks with a more modern dance twist to it. She's referenced David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Blondie, etc. as the main influences on the album. RedOne also verified this as well. Kierszenbaum even added that ABBA and even a small group like Fun Factory inspired songs like “Eh Eh” and “Summerboy”. Now did Britney’s actual fame during the release of ‘Blackout’ conceptualize themes for Gaga during her debut era? Absolutely, yes but again, as the result of the media spectacle surrounding Britney. Britney's persona and relationship to the media was a main influence of the concept behind ‘The Fame’ era but less so the actual album. You can tell that the songs and visuals for songs like “Paparazzi” were as a direct result of Britney’s personal life. Not to mention, Darkchild was already diving into futuristic electropop sounds from all the way back in 2002 with TLC. The reality is that outside of the few Britney gays on Exhale/Twitter and stan journalists who love to play revisionist history, no one thinks anything of ‘Blackout’ considering there were far more influential albums made in the 2000s. I mean, even ‘(2001) Britney’’s good girl gone bad theme and “Toxic” alone on ‘ITZ’ were more groundbreaking than ‘Blackout.’ Let’s do some research next time, thank you!

There is not many music journalists that will agree with your very narrow view of the music you are referencing. And no one has conversations about the albums you are citing anymore. Nelly Furtado had a great debut album, a so-so sophomore effort and then did the NEW WAVE electronic dance pop sound that Aaliyah, Gwen Stefani and Britney were already all doing. Many would argue Timbaland's best music, post Missy Elliot came when he had Danja as part of his creative team. Danja went on after those records to make Britney a better one lmfao.

And furthermore you can take that lame *** atrl side thread with that Paris inspiring any albums ever bull**** lmao.

Paris's debut album moved not a single needle kid. And then you have the audacity to talk about stan journalists? LMFAO wtf did the album Paris inspire? Female artists to sing better? Ditch scott Storch? Not sound so basic? Or b-movie? Granted it has its camp charms but let's not be ******* ridiculous now girl. LMFAO

There is not a single person who will quote any of the albums you mentioned as being original. FS/LS is prince on Timba remix. LOOSE sounds like Timbaland's early **** with some of that New wave Gwen Stefani was pushing in LAMB with a sprinkle of MIA in "NO HAY IGUAL" Gaga's image, how ever original it may have been to queens like you (who think her albums were the highest selling and most influential things to happen to the gay community since high school musical) can have several seats on that street corner ya'll hustling them half baked motorcycle Gaga head Born This Way cover posters on.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

For the Gaga stan trying to deny Blackout's impact on music: idk a single record from that decade that has the atonal synth slab punk bravado of "Piece of Me" or its actually brilliant lyrics, the trend-setting future dub-step influence of "Freakshow", the 90's inspired electro R&B mind melt of "Get Naked" and distorted disco, spiraling out of control epicness of "Gimme More" and "Heaven On Earth". The Janet Jackson on acid mid-tempo groove of " Break the Ice" and "Perfect Lover", the Oompa De Urban Loompa of "Hot as Ice"

Even if its a producers album? WHO CARES?! Literally every dance pop album usually is. Blackout is the Clockwork Orange of its time. It not only borrowed liberally from its contemporaries, it basically threw all their sounds into a blender and spliced itself into the modern make up of all future dance music. You can still hear people, even straight people, bumping to its tracks. And its influence on music artists now, whether they admit it or not. It shares the same legacy and influence as albums like KALA by MIA and Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, JankyStan said:

For the Gaga stan trying to deny Blackout's impact on music: idk a single record from that decade that has the atonal synth slab punk bravado of "Piece of Me" or its actually brilliant lyrics, the trend-setting future dub-step influence of "Freakshow", the 90's inspired electro R&B mind melt of "Get Naked" and distorted disco, spiraling out of control epicness of "Gimme More" and "Heaven On Earth". The Janet Jackson on acid mid-tempo groove of " Break the Ice" and "Perfect Lover", the Oompa De Urban Loompa of "Hot as Ice"

Even if its a producers album? WHO CARES?! Literally every dance pop album usually is. Blackout is the Clockwork Orange of its time. It not only borrowed liberally from its contemporaries, it basically threw all their sounds into a blender and spliced itself into the modern make up of all future dance music. You can still hear people, even straight people, bumping to its tracks. And its influence on music artists now, whether they admit it or not. It shares the same legacy and influence as albums like KALA by MIA and Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem.

Not to mention the very first line of the very first song on the album gave us this for the very first time:

Jimmy Fallon Britney GIF

How's that for game-changing?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Joshyworld said:

"In retrospect, the album has been cited as a career highlight for Spears and has been praised for its significant impact on the ensuing 2010s decade of pop music, being credited for bringing the electropop and avant-disco genres to mainstream prominence. Referred to as the "Bible of Pop" due to its influence, Blackout has been listed among the best albums of all time by publications such as The Guardian and Rolling Stone."

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block