Britney only had 1 number song until 2008 !

We all know that Womanizer was Britney second number one song in the US.

And it's insane to think that from 1999 until 2008, she only had 1 number one song in the US compared to her peers like Christina Aguilera and Jlo who both had 4 number ones already at the time.

Did people were even thinking about in the early 2000s during the peak of her career ?

P.S : i know why she only had 1 number one song

41 minutes ago, Mp mar50 said:

We all know that Womanizer was Britney second number one song in the US.

And it's insane to think that from 1999 until 2008, she only had 1 number one song in the US compared to her peers like Christina Aguilera and Jlo who both had 4 number ones already at the time.

Did people were even thinking about in the early 2000s during the peak of her career ?

P.S : i know why she only had 1 number one song

I lived in the UK and Sweden those years and she was constantly number 1. 🤣

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

She was NEVER taken seriously by the media nor the GP. If you're a Britney stan, then you really do love her! Then around 2008-09 there was a weird love for her which lasted very briefly. It seems to me that's what happens right after everybody go super hard at any given really big artist (2007 for Britney). It's such a sick, toxic way for people and the media to relate to celebrities. It's like "ok we've thrown everything at her and she didn't complain much, we love her back now... until we decide we don't." It's awful :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

It wasn’t weird she was serving and older version of primeney and ppl were here for it. But once the cship was permanent her performances, interviews, etc went to **** and the gp caught on. During circus only her fans noticed she didn’t dance as much(how could she with that stage) but her performances were still Britney standard as some of the circus tour performances are more entertaining than primeney. She was BACK…when she got stiff and off beat she got rightfully called out 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Mp mar50 said:

Ironicly, she is the only one that remained on the scene! her first 2 albums alone outsold all of her peer careers combined! out of her peers she is the only one that remained relevant and popular! She is one of the best selling touring artist of all time! She has more #1 albums/ streams/vevo certified videos/ her songs are gainging billion of streams on TikTok reaching out to a yet younger generation of Britney Army! 

If I have to chose to have many number #1s in my early career and then be a fad? which option do you think I would select?

On the other hand, Toxic and Ops were not number ones but they have become such a classic that people would sing them even after 100 years from now. I wouldn't say the same about any of her peer songs or even the #1 songs of today! I mean do you think people will remeber Anti-hero after 5 years from now ? Never, but they will always remeber Toxic or Gimme More! 

Britney is a phenomenon

1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

She was NEVER taken seriously by the media nor the GP. If you're a Britney stan, then you really do love her! Then around 2008-09 there was a weird love for her which lasted very briefly. It seems to me that's what happens right after everybody go super hard at any given really big artist (2007 for Britney). It's such a sick, toxic way for people and the media to relate to celebrities. It's like "ok we've thrown everything at her and she didn't complain much, we love her back now... until we decide we don't." It's awful :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

So true. I love you for this. :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Love 1

Billboard changes rules like I change underwear. There were different rules back then. Now you can get a #1 from Tik Tok :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: I remember when they changed the rule to let Harlem Shake chart, because everyone was using that for that one challenge. Then they changed the rule back :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: now you can even get every single song from your album to chart because of streaming, like when Taylor was all Top 10 songs on the Hot 100 :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: how it’s fair to compare numbers these days to years ago, I will never know 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Donavan Ward said:

It wasn’t weird she was serving and older version of primeney and ppl were here for it. But once the cship was permanent her performances, interviews, etc went to **** and the gp caught on. During circus only her fans noticed she didn’t dance as much(how could she with that stage) but her performances were still Britney standard as some of the circus tour performances are more entertaining than primeney. She was BACK…when she got stiff and off beat she got rightfully called out 

Not you saying "RIGHTFULLY called out" when she was caged, manipulated, and drugged up for 13 years :wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Kletus said:

Billboard changes rules like I change underwear. There were different rules back then. Now you can get a #1 from Tik Tok :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: I remember when they changed the rule to let Harlem Shake chart, because everyone was using that for that one challenge. Then they changed the rule back :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: now you can even get every single song from your album to chart because of streaming, like when Taylor was all Top 10 songs on the Hot 100 :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: how it’s fair to compare numbers these days to years ago, I will never know 

Actually I think they changed the rules like a day before blackout came out

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Kletus said:

preach :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

• Love 1

There's a couple of reasons that explains this though.

A lot of Britney's singles weren't released physically in the US, which essentially halted their chart performance as a lot of them were charting solely from airplay, AND her airplay was being suppressed in the US after 2001 due to the Pepsi/Clear Channel situation. The reason some of her singles didn't get a physical release was because Jive did this with a lot of their artists at the time as it drove physical sales of their albums higher, and it worked which is why Britney's album sales are far higher than her contemporaries from that time.

Her songs began to chart a lot higher from Blackout onwards because by that point it was the digital age, physical sales had started to become obsolete and songs were charting mainly from digital sales and her airplay had started to recover.

42 minutes ago, 3IsACharm33 said:

Actually I think they changed the rules like a day before blackout came out

They did that too :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney: I think it was DURING the charting week, so it was already obvious blackout was going #1 and midway through the week they were like nope.    homophobia at its finest :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

She would have had another #1 with Oops if they released it as a single. She wasn't rnb enough to get another #1 after that time. She tried transitioning with Slave but it wasn't enough. Maybe if it had a rap feature it would have done better. Toxic made a sound but the timing wasn't right which is why it wasn't even selected as the first single. It wasn't rnb enough. She regained traction on the charts after Fergie, Nelly and Gwen made a splash on the charts with their dance infused hits. This sorta ended rnb for a bit and introduced dance which Britney was an expert on and that's why she got more #1 hits. The musical scene changed a bit since then so she has to fit herself in the new wave of music to get another hit. Something Gaga and Katy couldn't do yet.

15 minutes ago, Body ache said:

The musical scene changed a bit since then so she has to fit herself in the new wave of music to get another hit. Something Gaga and Katy couldn't do yet.

Hmm not sure that is true considering Gaga has had two #1 singles in the last three years, one of which being a huge smash in both sales and streaming (Shallow). Gaga has done very well considering how much the landscape has changed since her debut and the fact that many people counted her out commercially after ARTPOP.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block