Let’s Talk About It: Avril Shading Britney

• Super Mods
Just now, sodapopbritney said:

Ah I remember being a little girl in the 2000’s and this attitude was the norm. Things seemed to change really quick the past few years because even in the early 2010’s being “not like other girls” was cool and that attitude wasn’t being critiqued yet. Being girly wasn’t cool, neither was pop music, and Britney represented both

She got so much hate :canthandleit_cry_katy_sob_sad_tears:

That was before. Things must have changed now. And also, we gotta admit, issues like this helped with Britney's popularity. It shows how sweet and kind she was. I remember her responding with 'Avril Lavigne's' when someone asked her about what kind of image would she like to have. Then she did the "Do Something".

Also, it's more of a tease only too as Avril's band members were openly all fans of Britney.

Pink also showed disrespect toward Britney at one point but she's changed now as they've grown to be more matured, and they did not deny it.

• Like 1

Even back when Avril was just starting out she still acknowledged ‘Toxic’ as a good pop song. I remember she was guest hosting a radio program in 2003/4 and said something like “every once in a while a really great pop song comes around”  and that she enjoyed it despite being mostly into rock. This was after she had made some sort of comment about Britney months earlier, and I remember being so pleased that even Avril could be civil and know good music when she heard it. 

Glad all these girls matured into the women they are today. 

• Love 3

I mean, mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, was there any need to be mean to Britney? She's always being known for being the sweetest and the kindest girl out there and never had anything bad to say about anybody. So it pisses me off to see someone freely doubting her choices regarding her choreographies, her outfits and whatnot. Keep those opinions to yourself :surething_britney_eyeroll_rolling_eyes_um_okay:

At the same time, Avril was 17 years old, and teenagers most of the times sometimes do or say things they regret later on. She might have wanted to represent a different type of music and gather other kind of people for her fandom, people who probably weren't into Britney because they thought she was fake. And it feels like the media kinda stuck to what she said forever. She's said later on she had nothing against Britney but to this day she's still thought to be anti-Britney. That's the media, I guess...

• Like 1

I love Avril, and I respect her legacy (her first 3 albums are amazing), but I have to laught at the fact that she jumped in the Britney hatewagon.... just to have Max Martin/Dr. Luke bubblegum pop eras few years later. I hate the word but her fans are not wrong when they call her sell-out. :ohi_okay_chewing_gum_well_welp:

Also.. all the Britney trash talkers have had the exact same issue; they got success for being different, then struggled to maintain the success and are now trying to cash in with nostalgia. She's almost 40 and still tries to act like she's 16 :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

• Like 2

Sorry but she can **** right off. She was more manufactured than Britney ever was in my opinion. That was her whole “gimmick” and I think her label pushed her into being “Anti Britney” because that was the “in” thing at the time. Anyway, she ended up flopping everywhere but Japan after her 2nd album, didn’t she?. That “Ho” comment was gross, but she did pick Britney over Christina when asked…Oprah So What Is The Truth GIF

• Love 3
  • Like 4

Tbh I feel like her label pushed her to be like this for marketing, Britney was the biggest pop girl at the time and anything somebody said about her created headlines :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: Ofc Avril still shouldn't have done it, and I'm sure if she was asked about Britney now she would say veey different things, she seems to have changed a lot over the years :typing_keyboard_computer:

• Like 2
  • Super Mods
1 minute ago, Az4Angela said:

Tbh I feel like her label pushed her to be like this for marketing, Britney was the biggest pop girl at the time and anything somebody said about her created headlines :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: Ofc Avril still shouldn't have done it, and I'm sure if she was asked about Britney now she would say veey different things, she seems to have changed a lot over the years :typing_keyboard_computer:

Avril had no right to try and bring Britney down :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block