Is Beyonce the most prestigious, respected figure in pop music today?

Given Renaissance’s release today, I was thinking about who the most prestigious artists in pop music are right now, and I feel like Beyonce has to be the one. I don’t even consider myself a fan of hers, nor do I dislike her, but I can’t think of a bigger, more prestigious and respected artist than her.

There’s the older legends like Madonna, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, etc. but they are not as well known for younger generations. A lot of the biggest acts in the 2000s and 2010s have faded: Katy Perry, Kesha, Nicki Minaj, Justin Timberlake, Usher, Justin Bieber. Lady Gaga is pretty up there, but I almost feel like she’s more known for her acting and live performances than her new music and discography. Britney is a huge name, but she’s been “tainted” ever since her breakdown, the conservatorship, and now her IG posts have hurt her prestige, I think.

Dua Lipa is pretty big right now, but I think she’s too fresh to be considered a legend or on the level of Beyonce. Ariana Grande seemed to be getting pretty up there in the mid to late 2010s, but she’s kinda been forgotten about since. Kanye West was huge, and arguably still is, but so much of his respect and prestige has faded with each of his controversies. The Weeknd has been pretty big, but he’s still more underground. Parents don’t really seem to know about him. Cardi B was extremely successful in the late 2010s, but she’s too controversial and unknown for older generations.

I just genuinely can’t think of a more respected, prestigious, A-list name in pop music than Beyonce, even if she hasn’t always been as successful on the music charts or singles wise, she still has a huge persona. 

Thoughts?

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Given Renaissance’s release today, I was thinking about who the most prestigious artists in pop music are right now, and I feel like Beyonce has to be the one. I don’t even consider myself a fan of hers, nor do I dislike her, but I can’t think of a bigger, more prestigious and respected artist than her.

There’s the older legends like Madonna, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, etc. but they are not as well known for younger generations. A lot of the biggest acts in the 2000s and 2010s have faded: Katy Perry, Kesha, Nicki Minaj, Justin Timberlake, Usher, Justin Bieber. Lady Gaga is pretty up there, but I almost feel like she’s more known for her acting and live performances than her new music and discography. Britney is a huge name, but she’s been “tainted” ever since her breakdown, the conservatorship, and now her IG posts have hurt her prestige, I think.

Dua Lipa is pretty big right now, but I think she’s too fresh to be considered a legend or on the level of Beyonce. Ariana Grande seemed to be getting pretty up there in the mid to late 2010s, but she’s kinda been forgotten about since. Kanye West was huge, and arguably still is, but so much of his respect and prestige has faded with each of his controversies. The Weeknd has been pretty big, but he’s still more underground. Parents don’t really seem to know about him. Cardi B was extremely successful in the late 2010s, but she’s too controversial and unknown for older generations.

I just genuinely can’t think of a more respected, prestigious, A-list name in pop music than Beyonce, even if she hasn’t always been as successful on the music charts or singles wise, she still has a huge persona. 

Thoughts?

nene GIF

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

I agree that Beyonce is one THE biggest Music Persona of this generation and also that Britneys pop persona has dwindled since the conservatorship.  Even Lady Gaga is a bigger Pop Persona than Britney. However, Britneys breakdown in 2007 and her instagram life today only adds points to her pop persona.

Britney is THE biggest Artist and the biggest name in music of this generation. Her music ,new and old, is known and celebrated by all demographics of people; even if is just BOMT, OIDIA, and TOXIC. Aside from Single Ladies ,and maybe 1 other song that I can't think of, Beyonces music is not that well known outside of pop/ urban American communities. Even Single Ladies is not universally known anymore.

As for  the most prestigious and respected, I would say that Lady Gaga holds that title.

So there we have it!

Beyonce - Best Pop Persona from a Musical Artist

Britney - Best Pop Musical Artist

Lady Gaga - Most Respected Pop Musical Artist

• Love 5
  • 3 weeks later...

In all honesty, right now, yes she is. But overall it’s Britney and Beyoncé. Britney takes Act I (1998-2010), she had the biggest debut of all time and became the most fascinating pop star for over a decade.  This includes her rise, fall, and rise again. Beyoncé takes Act 2 (2010-2020), this is where she established herself as a solo super star and the best entertainer of the past decade. She created an image of an untouchable, respected icon. Act 3, right now is Beyoncé, but if Britney makes a comeback, she could easily take Act 3 only if she takes her career as seriously as Beyoncé. Britney has curated an image of an unpolished, real, pop icon which contrasts Bey’s highly polished, high fashion image. 

Either Beyoncé remains the undisputed Queen, or Britney makes a comeback and reminds the world who the EFF she is!

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block