Mariah Carey sued for copyright infringement over 'All I Want For Christmas is You’

Cqleb

• Content Curators

Mariah is being sued for at least $20 million in damages by Andy Stone, who says he co-wrote and recorded a song called "All I Want For Christmas Is You" a couple years before Mariah dropped her track with that same title.

According to the lawsuit, Andy claims he recorded his back in 1989 in Nashville, and says it got extensive airplay and even made it to the Billboard charts during the 1993 Christmas season, and he even filmed a music video. 

Andy claims Mariah and her camp never sought or obtained permission to use that title.

Edited by Caleb Ellis

I guess Andy never got the memo. 

Joe Francis tried to sue Madonna for the same thing but was proven she's not the only one with that copyright infringement title of "Girl Gone Wild", it came and it went cos ot was gonna be denied before a trial wasn't gonna be approved over a frivolous stupid thing. 

In the words of Tatum riley.

Tap the guy with sucker hard to make a sound over a head so everybody hears " Stupidity, Link!!!"

1 hour ago, Caleb Ellis said:

Mariah is being sued for at least $20 million in damages by Andy Stone, who says he co-wrote and recorded a song called "All I Want For Christmas Is You" a couple years before Mariah dropped her track with that same title.

According to the lawsuit, Andy claims he recorded his back in 1989 in Nashville, and says it got extensive airplay and even made it to the Billboard charts during the 1993 Christmas season, and he even filmed a music video. 

Andy claims Mariah and her camp never sought or obtained permission to use that title.

@Caleb Ellis

Mariah Carey Kiss GIF 

• Haha 4
  • Super Mods

OMG This is RIDICULOUS!

Seriously there are SO many songs with the same name and you dont see the singers suing the others for "copyright infringment"!

And also why now after 27 years, do they sue?

If they were serious, they should've sued right when Mariah's came out.

This shows they are desperate for money and want to get Mariah's :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:

5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I don't think you can copyright song titles... :plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised:

like how many thousands of songs share the same title with another artist's song in the entire world 

you can sometimes trademark a title, but even that can be difficult....but copyrighting  a song title doesnt happen...otherwise I'm sure Mariah would've sued Kelly Clarkson for using All I want for Christmas as a song title. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Isla said:

And he waited until now to sue her?

Do the songs sound alike? Because if they don't then there should be no issue. There's plenty of  songs with the same title as each other that aren't alike.

There’s no comparison. None. Just the title.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block