Producer and Director ELC Talks about Britney: "What was going on with Britney was not a secret." The industry: "you don’t talk about Britney Spears" "And I am really impressed that she is calling people out"

16 hours ago, One More Time said:

In light of the reignited Britney and Christina tension, filmmaker Erin Lee Carr, director of the 'Britney Vs Spears' documentary on Netflix, says during the creation of the doc, she attempted to include a number of celebrities, but many of them declined to participate. 

Originally, the film was slated to take a closer look at Britney's legacy, but the creators pivoted to focus on investigating her abusive conservatorships.

"Many of the celebrities I reached out to speak on the legacy of Britney Spears did not respond or when I followed up (through their PR person) declined immediately, Carr said.

"This was before the film was strictly about the conservatorship and it made me feel like there was this “you don’t talk about Britney Spears” in the celeb community," Carr continued. "It was disheartening and I get ppl not wanting to be interviewed but no one?"

"What was going on with Britney was not a secret. And I am really impressed that she is calling people out. I tried to do what I could being a documentary filmmaker but it’s now about her being able to use her voice, to say whatever she wants. Something she hasn’t being able to do for more than a decade."

SHE SAID

- many of the celebrities I reached out to speak on the legacy of Britney Spears did not respond or when I followed up (through their PR person) declined immediately.

-What was going on with Britney was not a secret.

-this was before the film was strictly about the conservatorship and it made me feel like there was this “you don’t talk about Britney Spears” in the celeb community.

-It was disheartening and I get ppl not wanting to be interviewed but no one?  

-What was going on with Britney was not a secret.  

-And I am really impressed that she is calling people out. I tried to do what I could being a documentary filmmaker but it’s now about her being able to use her voice, to say whatever she wants. Something she hasn’t being able to do for more than a decade

.-The music industry doesn’t talk about the  music industry. #MeToo has not caught up with this industry in the way it was done with film. Certain predators singled out versus the abusive practices that has been in place since forever. (my opinion)

bvs.jpg.b0cd1a25f124f0218ce41a8d71e5105d.jpg

Great. I strongly doubted Britney wrote that but there is no way for me to know, and I agree with the post. I agree with ELC. I myself have been so angry about all silent celebrities so I 1000% understand if Britney is angry or just want to call out those that allowed her to almost be killed, tortured and trafficked as a slave. Like almost everyone. Max Martin is someone I am thinking of a lot. Didn’t he break through with Britney?

48 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Her face, as well as her tone of voice, read as disinterested and disengenious.

It wasn't an "omg so sad" face, if anyone else made the same expressions, it would be read the same way.

It's literally on video.

I saw that too. She had that face on photos with Britney even on the Mickey Mouse club. I remember when they were presenting together at an awards show. Christina looked like she was consumed of hate and jealousy, I saw that back then already. 

• Like 1

really, look at Anthony Preston's post

It gives many implications, but the main takeaway is that her team was an abusive nightmare to work with and we know lots of people had weird interactions with them, but many came out saying it was "Britney's fault" or that "Britney's weird and loony". But people noticed Britney was the one who was always at their hands, suffering, and some, without better ways to protect her, decided to be quiet as to not "disappear". Or the implications were simply too much for them to speak out, as Anthony's case.

I get why Anthony, Tish Yates, Felicia stayed quiet. But lots of people knew Larry, Adam, Robin,...Jamie! It seems they had a reputation in the industry.

Also, I don't doubt Xtina and Britney bonded as kids over their father trauma. Do you wonder how much Xtina, Justin, Ryan Gosling and others knew about her dad from their days in the MMC? Because someone who was there with them said he knew her family was weird. ...And they all let it be, they did not use their platforms for anything. Do you think Lance knew about how Britney felt about Jamie? ...He let it be too.

But it was pretty much an open secret in the industry that Britney was living this Orwellian nightmare with her team AND family AND court system. It's clear people don't want to talk about her or her legacy or her situation. Or not even mental illness stigma.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

I know she probably feels empowered and I get that she is angry but I hope she does not go down that road of calling people out. She is not that girl and is too old to be doing that on social media. The public will rip her apart for a start . It's also a bit egocentric, the world doesnt revolve around her and other people shouldn't have to talk about you all the time for your pain to be justified. I fear she has nobody around her to make her think twice. Where's Felicia? I hope they are back in contact. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, cubasterd said:

Are you basing Will.I.Am not knowing Britney was in a conservatorship on that interview from Fox news where he said " When I heard that she was under a conservatorship, I was baffled!"

If so, that doesn't mean he didn't know about it when it first started in 2008. And after all these years he only now chose to speak out against the conservatorship when it became evident that it was going to end soon.

People in the music industry talk. Its just a big workplace where coworkers gossip about each other. These people didn't know the legalities behind the conservatoprship because they didn't research it like we did, but they saw the injustice first hand or heard about the things that happened from other people. They know more stories about the things that happened while Britney was under the conservatorship than we do. All we had were the facts that were made public. 

Well, that's your assumption, but I think precisely part of why this lasted for so long is because how secretive they all were about the whole scheme. Do you really believe Lou Taylor and co were gonna be telling all their plans and the whole scam to random people in the industry? Even people that appeared in the documentaries were like, the rule was don't ask or question anything about the conservatorship

Other than knowing her father was an ogre, I don't know what else you think they were supposed to know. And again, if anything, the people that may have known or seen something must've been lesser employees, like dancers, directors, etc. not people like Beyonce or whatever

19 hours ago, HisNameisChase said:

If you think about Britney's success with Circis and Femme Fatale whilst not putting in passion or effort, imagine with how massive and huge and successful she would have been if she wasn't under such restraints.

There is no denying a lot of people envied Britney's success and some are probably even salty she got a second chance and made a huge comeback.

Britney being controlled benefited other artists, specifically female artists. No one is going to try to get their competition free to even be more competition.

I’m not one to wish poorly on others but I truly hope Britney gets to take her control back and shake the industry up (if that’s what she wants). The entire industry and her peers did her so so so wrong, and that’s a huge understatement. I just know these girls are quivering and worried about their careers, but if they prioritized that over one of their peer’s literal freedom and well-being, well…I hope they lose it all, and I’m even not sorry for feeling that way Happy Hour Drinking GIF

• Love 2
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, HisNameisChase said:

If you think about Britney's success with Circis and Femme Fatale whilst not putting in passion or effort, imagine with how massive and huge and successful she would have been if she wasn't under such restraints.

There is no denying a lot of people envied Britney's success and some are probably even salty she got a second chance and made a huge comeback.

Britney being controlled benefited other artists, specifically female artists. No one is going to try to get their competition free to even be more competition.

I don't think people were jealous of Britney's success or worried about her as a competitor, but afraid of the "industry" that could erase their careers. Look at what happened with Kesha, Katy and even Xtina.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, The Queen said:

I don't think people were jealous of Britney's success or worried about her as a competitor, but afraid of the "industry" that could erase their careers. Look at what happened with Kesha, Katy and even Xtina.

Many were jealous. Especially Christina Aguilera. I even think that Shakira was jealous and wanted to “beat” her. 

• Like 1

This sort of manufactured silence with people is disgusting! Everyone thinks it’s none of their business. Britney had a choke hold on her and frankly…..she’s lucky to have made it out alive. With the #freebritney movement and guardian angels she is FREE AT LAST! Freedom of speech. Never be silent again. It’s a lesson all of us can learn from.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

No offence but Americans are fairly individualistic. When have they ever been conscientious of other peoples' needs? (ok, I get I'm overgeneralizing but it isn't surprising when the culture favours self-interests over social welfare).

I think it is even worse when Americans try to be woke and care and then goes and support terrorism in other countries, appropriates cultures and conflicts they know **** about and pick a side although not having the right or actual knowledge about history and the present situation to be so vocal and hateful about it. I am talking about Americans funding the IRA and fuelling hate and civil war in a European country while not having the right to appropriate their conflict, same people who are antisemitic and heavily favours Palestine not knowing **** about the history of the area or the full picture of the civil war. Nothing worse than selfish and culture centric Americans who think the world  revolves around the United States trying to be “compassionate” and go way over board into extremism, pure Stalinism, terrorism etc. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Xavierleleon said:

I think it is even worse when Americans try to be woke and care and then goes and support terrorism in other countries, appropriates cultures and conflicts they know **** about and pick a side although not having the right or actual knowledge about history and the present situation to be so vocal and hateful about it. I am talking about Americans funding the IRA and fuelling hate and civil war in a European country while not having the right to appropriate their conflict, same people who are antisemitic and heavily favours Palestine not knowing **** about the history of the area or the full picture of the civil war. Nothing worse than selfish and culture centric Americans who think the world  revolves around the United States trying to be “compassionate” and go way over board into extremism, pure Stalinism, terrorism etc. 

:clap_clapping_britney_xfactor_red_excited_yay_cheer: :wigsnatched_point_you_wow_yes_yas:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block