Madonna's new V magazine covers, gets backlash for interview

• Leader

A serve :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

She's getting heat for a few of the things she said in her interview though. Namely about normal work hours and vaccinations.

JOH: Whenever I’ve been asked to teach, they tell me, “How do you write a good play or a play that people care about?” I say, “I can’t tell you how to do that.” All I can do is tell you to write toward failure. To write off the cliff. So that maybe it won’t work. Because the chance to get burned is the reason to do the thing. Do you feel like that’s what Madame X was for you?

M: Well, first of all, everyone told me not to do it because it was too ambitious. Because there were too many people on the stage. I was trying to tell too many stories. I was trying to share too much of the things that I love in one space and time. Because the overhead was going to be so big and, in a theater that only holds 1500- 2000 people every night, I was gonna barely make any money at the end of the day, especially with union rules. If I was half an hour late, or even when we were in pre-production rehearsals. I didn’t know this, but the union rules in theaters are so crazy and their hours are nine-to-five. And I’m like, “Who works those hours?” And I said, “Can’t they just shift the hours from four to midnight?” That’s so much more conducive to our mentality—when we work, when we’re alive. And they refused. And so anything after five is overtime. So you can imagine the bills I incurred just in rehearsals because we rehearsed every night till three in the morning. We had to and we still weren’t ready when we were open. I started off with 16 people, and then I decided to bring in 36! “I can’t just have eight Batukadeiras!”

Jeremy O. Harris: One of my first questions I wanted to ask you is about one of the quotes that opens Madame X which is “Artist’s are here to disturb the peace.” I wanted to know for you, where is peace right now? There’s a global pandemic, there’s billionaires wrecking the economy and every sector of our world. Where do you think there’s peace to disturb?

Madonna: It’s interesting because peace is subjective. The way people think about the pandemic, for instance, that the vaccination is the only answer or the polarization of thinking you’re either on this side or the other. There’s no debate, there’s no discussion. That’s something I want to disturb. I want to disturb the fact that we’re not encouraged to discuss it. I believe that our job is to disturb the status quo. The censoring that’s going on in the world right now, that’s pretty frightening. No one’s allowed to speak their mind right now. No one’s allowed to say what they really think about things for fear of being canceled, cancel culture. In cancel culture, disturbing the peace is probably an act of treason. We could start right there, and then we can just talk about our work as artists. The work that you do is very disturbing, but not in a bad way. When I watched Slave Play my mind was so ****ing blown for so many reasons. You talk about things that aren’t encouraged to be spoken about. You deal with topics that are not discussed in everyday society, even though we’re supposed to be so woke. That, to me, and what you do is exactly what James Baldwin is talking about. Have you heard his speech about an artist’s integrity? It’s so awe-inspiring.

--
JOH: Has there been any thing that you’ve heard or seen recently that are cute?

M: I mean, the only thing that I’ve heard recently that has inspired me is Kanye’s record Donda. There are very few artists that are working toward failure. And I feel like he is.

JOH: He’s staring at an abyss right now.

M: Totally. I can’t say that I agree with all of his politics and the way that he thinks of women, or unmarried people having s**, or the gay community. But his work is on the razor’s edge, and it’s inspiring and it’s rare. Everybody was waiting so long for his record to come out and then finally when it came out, everybody else’s record came out, too. And he still stood out.

madv.jpg.deb49e448e57e4ed929919ef81c9beb2.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block