Buzzfeed News- Beyond Britney: Abuse, Exploitation, and Death Inside America’s Guardianship Industry

3 minutes ago, Matou said:

You just see it today ? https://s6.gifyu.com/images/gifgit15.gif

You don't know my low observation powers, I work 16 hours a day with Britney on my mind imagine my stress and somehow still manage to read court docs, when free I need a thanks from her in writing :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao:

BH is my side tab these days, imagine my life you seem to be obsessed with Gimme more how many times you have watched it? :billie_eilish_green_chuckle_cackle_lol_lmao_haha_hehe_laugh:

• Love 1

I'm not even through reading the entire article and already I have a million questions for the judicial system.

On a related, and important, note -- The state of California is currently accepting questions that they'll consider addressing at an upcoming webinar, which the public can sign up to attend. I've already submitted 2 questions, and you all should consider sending in any questions you have, too. As long as this system goes unchecked, it'll foster corruption. We've gotta hold these people accountable if we want to end conservatorship abuse.

• Love 2
  • Like 4
36 minutes ago, Prachi said:

You don't know my low observation powers, I work 16 hours a day with Britney on my mind imagine my stress and somehow still manage to read court docs, when free I need a thanks from her in writing :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao:

BH is my side tab these days, imagine my life you seem to be obsessed with Gimme more how many times you have watched it? :billie_eilish_green_chuckle_cackle_lol_lmao_haha_hehe_laugh:

You must be tired ! https://s6.gifyu.com/images/gifgit1b75e51878260db1a.gif Give you a break sis :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts:

I've watched it like 20 times I guess, one more today, my PFP is slaying me https://s6.gifyu.com/images/gifgit14.gif

• Love 1

this is literally Britney's story

People whose capacity is in question are often struggling with physical and mental conditions that make caring for them unquestionably difficult. But guardianship is such an extreme measure that in most states, judges are required by law not to impose it unless no other options are available. Too often, however, they opt for full guardianship in hearings that can last just minutes, without considering any alternatives. Many state laws allow hearings that determine if someone is incapacitated to be held without notifying the person in question, meaning someone can be placed under emergency guardianship without having an opportunity to fight back. Some people are placed under guardianship without even undergoing a medical examination. And people who have been declared incapacitated generally lose the right to appoint their own lawyers or represent themselves, which means that once guardianships are in place, they are often impossible to escape.

:icant2_britney_nope_smh_head_shake_disappointed_everytime: it's incredible that this has been going on for so long

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Rebecca Fierle made millions while controlling the lives and finances of more than 500 people before she was charged last year with abuse and neglect of an older adult ward who died after she had him placed under a DNR and allegedly told doctors to cap his feeding tube. When police raided her office, they found urns containing the cremated remains of nine former wards on display. An analysis of thousands of court records by BuzzFeed News sheds new light on her practices.

:umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide:

In some states, guardians (sometimes referred to as conservators) control both a ward’s personal life and their money, while others assign a separate person to manage financial matters. These roles can be assumed without a degree in law, social work, or accounting — and some states require no more than a few hours of education before guardians are empowered to assume control of people’s lives.

Guardians are required to file annual reports on their wards' well-being and financial affairs, often reviewed by low-paid, overstretched court clerks who lack formal training in spotting fraud. Many clerks are also charged with vetting people seeking to become professional guardians — but troubling cases can slip through.

Great article and glad it's being talked about!  Thanks for posting.  The film "I Care A Lot" that just came out last year (2020) is a good illustration of how someone can be put in a conservatorship through the courts much too easily and stripped of rights and dignity and I think it was in some ways inspired by Britney..many people reviewers say the movie is 'far-fetched' and glorifying the main character (who is a professional conservator ala Jodi Montgomery) which shows how ignorant most of the population is to these kinds of crimes beyond what's happening to Britney.

However, I see the movie as a warning and enlightening of what can happen and DOES HAPPEN EVERY DAY, even if on a cinematic level it was not always the greatest storytelling.  It is starting a conversation about what kind of mentality and greedy capitalistic mindsets allow these things to happen.  This movie is not fantasy it's the reality for THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people being abused, manipulated, imprisoned, legally stripped of their money and lives.  Spread the word, conservatorships are mostly corrupt and they need to be changed with better laws and more restrictions.  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_care_a_lot  Animated GIF

• Love 3
  • Like 2

There needs to be federal oversight and a trial needs to take place just as thorough as a criminal trial since the effect is ppl's human rights being taken away...also ppl in conservatorships don't need ppl making decisions for them but ppl helping them with their decisions...they need to be treated like ppl...

• Love 2