Jump to content

Give EXPLANATION : Britney Spears wasn't Banned from the Radio


Recommended Posts

So, I read this on ATRL somebody posted on Twitter and I remember a complete different picture as I lived in California for 3 years during her 'Britney Era' I remember her being less thats why I bought those small mp3 to connect to my dad's car when we went out!

I remember being it a regional thing, but legally no radio channel can ban you as we all know her singles didn't do well like oops came into top 10 and then 'Britney' era was flop single wise big time but she still managed to sell 6M albums in US during that time itself - I do not understand this. 

Also, her radio chart positioning here is some of them is low please explain who is educated. 

Screen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-35-12-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-35-26-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-35-44-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-36-03-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-36-15-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-36-25-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-36-46-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-36-57-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-15-at-3-37-15-PM.png

Link to comment

Well there was so much controversy over the lyrical content on slave 4 U, there was this NBC unauthorized special, where they interviewed little girls all under the age of 10 during this era  .

 

One still sticks out

 

"The problem is it's not that she cant sing, it's the songs she sings"

 

This is where at 19 going on 20, was the beginning of her image and Music being trashed by mothers of little girls, that's why I felt Jive did the mature/teen pop route, cos they knew she was about to alienate a huge portion of her audience.  

 

Sadly they were right, Britney the first album she had any major input sold 4 Million in the US and I believe 15 Million worldwide, each album where the material would get more grown up, would sell less than the other album. 

 

Her last 10 Million global seller was 2003's In the zone, the sales decrease from her first album of the millennium to in the zone, was one of the most fastest sales drop ever, usually an artist as hot as Britney was, would see a sales increase, but that wasn't the case, her numbers kept dropping, the more creative control she was given. 

  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Well there was so much controversy over the lyrical content on slave 4 U, there was this NBC unauthorized special, where they interviewed little girls all under the age of 10 during this era  .

 

One still sticks out

 

"The problem is it's not that she cant sing, it's the songs she sings"

 

This is where at 19 going on 20, was the beginning of her image and Music being trashed by mothers of little girls, that's why I felt Jive did the mature/teen pop route, cos they knew she was about to alienate a huge portion of her audience.  

 

Sadly they were right, Britney the first album she had any major input sold 4 Million in the US and I believe 15 Million worldwide, each album where the material would get more grown up, would sell less than the other album. 

 

Her last 10 Million global seller was 2003's In the zone, the sales decrease from her first album of the millennium to in the zone, was one of the most fastest sales drop ever, usually an artist as hot as Britney was, would see a sales increase, but that wasn't the case, her numbers kept dropping, the more creative control she was given. 

Yep agreed, but if you remember during 'Britney' era CD sales itself declined by 47% as piracy came into picture. 

I believe radio ban cannot be possible, but some of her chartings on the radio is very low if you see. I remember people being pressed about Slave 4 U video as she became something people weren't expecting but with her first 4 album she sold 60M and this is all pure, US chartings are weak for her but her WW hits on charts are less than Shakira, Madonna and RiRi only. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

there was a thread about exactly this same topic last year or so (even based on the same ATRL post) 

but I need to find it

Oh, explain this situation some pressed ATRL hater posted it and I saw in on Twitter so posted it here to understand. 

Link to comment
  • Super Mods
1 minute ago, cubasterd said:

The singles from the 'Britney' album weren't banned, they were blacklisted from getting normal rotation.  This meant that no how much the song was requested or how popular it was, Clear Channel radio gave orders to radio stations to not give her songs regular airplay. Clear channel did this to punish major artists who did not sign contracts with their touring agency.

In 2004, the FCC revealed the results of their investigation into clear channel and that is when the public/ fans had proof of we suspected for years. Britneys name was on the the list of punished artists, along with a few others well known artists.

 

1 minute ago, Prachi said:

Oh, explain this situation some pressed ATRL hater posted it and I saw in on Twitter so posted it here to understand. 

basically it was that, it's not that she was completely eradicated from radio, but they were giving her significantly less airplay. It was because she toured with a different agency 

  • Like 8

 I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, cubasterd said:

The singles from the 'Britney' album weren't banned, they were blacklisted from getting normal rotation.  This meant that no how much the song was requested or how popular it was, Clear Channel radio gave orders to radio stations to not give her songs regular airplay. Clear channel did this to punish major artists who did not sign contracts with their touring agency.

In 2004, the FCC revealed the results of their investigation into clear channel and that is when the public/ fans had proof of what we suspected for years. Britneys name was on the the list of punished artists, along with a few others well known artists.

As much as I can remember britney was played very less during those times but it's been too long! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I remember hearing Boys (Co-ed remix) on the radio in b markets alot, given it was released via Madonna's Maverick label through the Austin Powers in goldmember soundtrack, but ironically both Bey and Brit, couldn't deliver the radio smashes that Madonna and Lenny Kravitz experienced with "Beautiful stranger " (#19 on the hot 100 based off of radio play alone, imagine had they issued a cd single in the US, top 5 indeed given the songs massive popularity at that time) and "American woman".

 

Mel B saw her single "Word Up" given an international release by Virgin/Maverick (My Bad she was Mel G A/K/A Scary Spice) and that was a huge hit in several countries sadly, the US Virgin label refused Maverick to release the track, this would be a huge issue For any Spice girls solo music in the US.

 

Never be the same again would have been huge in the US, given it was A Spice girl and the most beloved member of TLC on one hot record, and Virgin US refused to take advantage of this massive girl power track which went #1 in several European markets. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Twitter Team
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, cubasterd said:

The singles from the 'Britney' album weren't banned, they were blacklisted from getting normal rotation.  This meant that no how much the song was requested or how popular it was, Clear Channel radio gave orders to radio stations to not give her songs regular airplay. Clear channel did this to punish major artists who did not sign contracts with their touring agency.

In 2004, the FCC revealed the results of their investigation into clear channel and that is when the public/ fans had proof of what we suspected for years. Britneys name was on the the list of punished artists, along with a few others well known artists.

Yeah pretty much this. If the singles had more radio play in the US they probably would have charted better at the time. 

I think I remember a thread with someone saying that the US government almost got involved with this. It’s wrong either way, and all just because Britney didn’t sign a contract with Clear Channel for DWAD.

Edited by Isla
  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Isla said:

Yeah pretty much this. If the singles had more radio play in the US they probably would have charted better at the time. 

I think I remember a thread with someone saying that the US government almost got involved with this. It’s wrong either way, just Britney didn’t sign a contract for Clear Channel for DWAD.

The US government did get involved. There use to be an official statement on  some government website stating the results of the Clear Channel investigation. Anytime someone would call the 'Britney' era a flop, I would quickly link them to that government statement. lol I'm trying to see if it still exist. It was issued by either a congressman or house rep. I forgot.

  • Love 3
  • Like 6
Link to comment
  • Super Mods
Just now, cubasterd said:

The US government did get involved. There use to be an official statement on  some government website stating the results of the Clear Channel investigation. Anytime someone would call the 'Britney' era a flop, I would quickly link them to that government statement. lol I'm trying to see if it still exist. It was issued by either a congressman or house rep. I forgot.

I'm looking for the same thing, all this stuff was pulled in the thread I'm talking about, but I can't find it 

  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

 I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

Link to comment
Just now, PokemonSpears said:

I'm looking for the same thing, all this stuff was pulled in the thread I'm talking about, but I can't find it 

I'm doing a google search for years 2004 to 2006. I can't find it. I know we fans didn't hear about the results until 2004

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Twitter Team
3 minutes ago, cubasterd said:

The US government did get involved. There use to be an official statement on  some government website stating the results of the Clear Channel investigation. Anytime someone would call the 'Britney' era a flop, I would quickly link them to that government statement. lol I'm trying to see if it still exist. It was issued by either a congressman or house rep. I forgot.

Lol I thought so.... I mean the album and DWAD tour still did well in the US so it wasn’t a complete flop. The singles also charted well internationally.

Link to comment

And Clear Channel eventually became the tour giant Live nation, which would be under several investigations, the biggest one was buying Ticketmaster, which unfortunately killed AEG Live!, because they couldn't use Ticketmaster and had to create their own ticketing purchase site, so eventually they became owners to several arenas or stadiums which Live nation has to pay them for bookings. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Super Mods
3 minutes ago, cubasterd said:

I'm doing a google search for years 2004 to 2006. I can't find it. I know we fans didn't hear about the results until 2004

yeah I remember I searched for that congressman letter or something, but there was a thread last year about someone who posted these same images of the radio lists, telling the same thing, that Britney wasn't banned, and that it was just fans' excuse to justify she flopped 

 I am a performer. I am a Mom. I am funny. I am your friend! I am Britney Jean

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

yeah I remember I searched for that congressman letter or something, but there was a thread last year about someone who posted these same images of the radio lists, telling the same thing, that Britney wasn't banned, and that it was just fans' excuse to justify she flopped 

Getting close... I'm almost positive that the goverment House Rep. was Howard L. Berman . During the time he was rep. , the statement was posted on his official goverment  page. But since he is no longer a house rep. , he no longer has an actual page.  The statement was posted on congress.gov . I'm searching the archives for it now. :snooptoya_jackson_snooping_looking_magnifying_glass_glasses_search:

  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block