Give EXPLANATION : Britney Spears wasn't Banned from the Radio

12 minutes ago, Applejack said:

its important to note the ban was effective a few weeks after slave debuted

How do we know this? I  always thought the ban began whenever it was decided that Britney wasn't going to use Clear Channel for her upcoming 2001 tour. This decision was likely made well before Slave4U's debut.

I don't know how accurate this wikipedia information is but it states that HBO knew they were going to film Britneys upcoming tour back in March of 2001, before "Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know" was even released.

On March 1, 2001, HBO announced that a Las Vegas show at MGM Grand Arena would be broadcast on November 18, 2001

2 hours ago, aspireone said:

Sad How US radio treated the Britney Era.

Meanwhile, the Britney Singles + Anticipating and That's where you take me were successful in my country.

It would have been fine, everytime she had a cd single, she would go top ten or top 15, it's noticed her hot 100 track record improved during the iTunes era, so fans wanted physical singles, but Jive main focus was albums only. 

20 minutes ago, cubasterd said:

How do we know this? I  always thought the ban began whenever it was decided that Britney wasn't going to use Clear Channel for her upcoming 2001 tour. This decision was likely made well before Slave4U's debut.

I don't know how accurate this wikipedia information is but it states that HBO knew they were going to film Britneys upcoming tour back in March of 2001, before "Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know" was even released.

because CCE did give Slave some airplay in September 2001, which did not happen at all with the other singles, that's why people have always called it the ~ban~

Spoiler

and the decision to switch was made news in september, slave and dwad debuted in september, the tour was first announced in july and they definitely switched tour promoters because of the movie -- so that was pretty likely a very late decision (development on crossroads started filming in march 2001). it's possible they had it clear before slave's debut, but it was a pretty late decision nonetheless

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Applejack said:

because CCE did give Slave some airplay, which did not happen at all with the other singles, that's why people have always called it the ~ban~

Hide contents

and the decision to switch was made news in september, slave and dwad debuted in september, the tour was first announced in july and they definitely switched tour promoters because of the movie -- so that was pretty likely a very late decision (development on crossroads started filming in march 2001). it's possible they had it clear before slave's debut, but it was a pretty late decision nonetheless

I figured Crossroads had something to do with it. Clear Channel likely felt obligated to give 'Britney Spears's' lead single some airplay on their biggest stations as to not make it so obvious that they were blacklisting her.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Girl, Slave alcanzó su punto máximo en el # 27 y Overprotected en el # 86, y ninguno de los otros se ubicó en los EE. UU.  giphy.gif 

As I understand it, in their first albums Jive did not release the singles in material format, therefore they only counted the radio reproductions.

6 minutes ago, PZHSB said:

She was blacklisted from clear channel. Her songs would play on the top 9 at 9 on z100 but weren’t in any daily rotations. 

I remember this. Fans would listen to Z100 online and request the song all day but it wouldn't get played until the top 9 at 9.lol

1 hour ago, Easy There said:

Welp her scores or whatever it was called were bad with audience. So ofc she was played less 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, cubasterd said:

:heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams: Thats not true. If it were, Clear Channel would have surely used that as a defense when they were forced to defend themselves in front of the Senate. Instead, they claimed the exact opposite

They say she was so popular in 2002 that they couldn't help but play her music because thats what the listeners wanted.......yet they still gave her little to NO airplay on their stations. :nothavingit_whitney_houston_mad_annoyed_stare_whatever_irritated:

Nnnnnn not 'Slayney' hater Easy There getting clocked here right and left giphy.gif

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, stanLOONA said:

Maybe it was added that Jive never pushed CD singles? They were very important because they DID matter before, but Jive preferred fans buying the full album than physical CD singles.

Wasn't that only in the US? I think all of the singles got a physical release in the UK, otherwise they never would have charted well. The UK Singles Chart was purely sales based in the late 90s/early 2000s and has never counted radio play. Britney had many top 10s back then and a few number one singles so it had to be down to people buying the CD singles. But in the US, I think Jive didn't issue CD singles for a few singles not just by Britney, but by some other artists signed to their label. I think Sometimes was one of them and that explains why it only reached as high as #21.

And then the opposite happened with Stronger because a CD single for the song WAS issued in the US which helped it to top the Billboard Hot Singles Sales chart. But on the Hot 100, it peaked at #11 because its radio airplay let it down a bit.

Edited by Isla
  • Love 1

How much did radio count towards the Billboard Hot 100 back in 2004? Because I always thought that even without complete radio support her physical single sales should've been high enough for her songs to do well on the chart since she had a massive fanbase at the time. 

3 minutes ago, Stefani said:

How much did radio count towards the Billboard Hot 100 back in 2004? Because I always thought that even without complete radio support her physical single sales should've been high enough for her songs to do well on the chart since she had a massive fanbase at the time. 

I don't know but radio airplay was a big reason for Toxic's success. In 2003, I think thats when physical CD sales started majorly declining. By 2006, I think most single sales were digital.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Her last 10 Million global seller was 2003's In the zone, the sales decrease from her first album of the millennium to in the zone, was one of the most fastest sales drop ever, usually an artist as hot as Britney was, would see a sales increase, but that wasn't the case, her numbers kept dropping, the more creative control she was given. 

Album sales started dropping for everyone given the new digital era. Yes, her sales werent as high as BOMT yet, she remained doing excellent numbers in a time where people started downloading songs without necessarily buying the entire album. 

The same goes for other major acts like Madonna. Her first albums were BOMBS but compared to Ray of light, Music or Confessions On A Dance Floor the album's decrease was significant despite being commercially successful as well, on their own standars. 

Doing ITZ numbers in 2021 would be giant. The only ones doing those high numbers currently are Adele or Taylor I think. Adele is an amazing vocalist but she hasnt released anything in years so the anticipation is huge but Taylor has had to sacrifice artistic growth in order to remain appealing to a generation of young pre teens with silly goofy songs and imagery. So I do agree with what Britney said in that mtv interview, she chose to make something she was proud of rather than another max martin dated bubblegum album. Thanks to that we got the Onyx Hotel Tour and the ITZ music videos and album which in the long run was a smarter choice that gave her more longevity than random faded #1's no one would remember the next year.

MIN 07:50

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Stefani said:

Well, apparently a lot as Billboard cited Beyonce as 2000s best selling female artist, in fact Britney was behind Alicia Keys as well but both of these artist have still not touched 20m album sales in US while Britney has more than 36M - Toxic didn't had any physical release but still charted at number 9 on BB but Britney has been credited the best selling female artist from 1999-2010 WW! 

If we see her charts history on BB after baby one more time her 2nd number one was with Womanizer but with Britney era, CD sales in US alone was declined by 47% and still Britney album managed to sell more than 15M WW - only 38% sales of Britney comes from US showing how WW she is. US credits heavily for radio plays which Britney severely lacked otherwise in no world Britney can be behind Alicia Keys or Beyonce for that matter! Beyonce singles in the US ruled the radios. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, cubasterd said:

The singles from the 'Britney' album weren't banned, they were blacklisted from getting normal rotation.  This meant that no matter how much the song was requested or how popular it was, Clear Channel radio gave orders to radio stations to not give her songs regular airplay. Clear channel did this to punish major artists who did not sign contracts with their touring agency.

In 2003, the US Senate held a hearing to investigate Clear Channel and that is when the public/ fans had proof of what we suspected for years. Britney was named as one of the punished artists.

TEACH US, KING!

2 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

Album sales started dropping for everyone given the new digital era. Yes, her sales werent as high as BOMT yet, she remained doing excellent numbers in a time where people started downloading songs without necessarily but the entire album. 

The same goes for other major acts like Madonna. Her first albums were BOMBS but compared to Ray of light, Music or Confessions On A Dance Floor the album's decrease was significant despite being commercially successful on their own standars. 

Doing ITZ numbers in 2021 would be giant. The only ones doing those high numbers currently are Adele or Taylor I think. Adele is an amazing vocalist but she hasnt released anything in years so the anticipation is huge but Taylor has had to sacrifice artistic growth in order to remain appealing to a generation of young pre teens with silly goofy songs and imagery. So I do agree with what Britney said in that mtv interview, she chose to make something she was proud of rather than another max martin dated bubblegum album. Thanks to that we got the Onyx Hotel Tour and the ITZ music videos and album which in the long run was a smarter choice. 

MIN 07:50

Well, Britney and ITZ can be seen as a flop to many because her first 2 album has sold more than 40M WW by these 4 albums Britney has sold more than 60M in pure alone these numbers are not done by Taylor but only Adele - only Adele is dominating single and album sales. Also for Adele's '25' she managed to sell more than 3.5M in a week because of her catalog not being available on streaming platforms ( I remember this because I bought the CD only because of it) 

Adele will be the only artist who will surpass Britney - though if you see RiRi has sold more than 400M records which is a joke as she has sold more than 350M with singles including features so RiRi fans are now comparing her to Madonna which is not true. As much as I love RiRi the mix sales of albums and singles is not a right way to show success that too featured singles where both artists get the royalty + a single coming from 0.69 cents cannot be compared with 5.99$ album sales. 

If we see Chartmasters they are also wrong for Britney as Jive itself in 2011 told Brit has sold more than 105M in pure till 2011 including DVDs so Britney is sitting around 145M with just albums if we count streaming. 

Probably selling 180-190M singles, these kinds of records will only Adele will do now. 

54 minutes ago, Isla said:

Wasn't that only in the US? I think all of the singles got a physical release in the UK, otherwise they never would have charted well. The UK Singles Chart was purely sales based in the late 90s/early 2000s and has never counted radio play. Britney had many top 10s back then and a few number one singles so it had to be down to people buying the CD singles. But in the US, I think Jive didn't issue CD singles for a few singles not just by Britney, but by some other artists signed to their label. I think Sometimes was one of them and that explains why it only reached as high as #21.

And then the opposite happened with Stronger because a CD single for the song WAS issued in the US which helped it to top the Billboard Hot Singles Sales chart. But on the Hot 100, it peaked at #11 because its radio airplay let it down a bit.

Maybe. For what I remember, they did released in the US but as soon as the album was doing good some week they pulled back or something like that. Or limited copies.

In some YT video they explained how a lot of people in the US know Britney's songs even when they weren't charting well, because of radio. If I remember correctly Toxic would've been #1 if they were counting downloads by the time of release.

Bottom line is Jive always pushed albums sales over singles.

• Like 2