Stylist magazine has the Spice Girls on the cover, credits them for redefining feminism In the 90s

Stylist Magazine announced a Spice girls special issue to celebrate 25 years of the best selling girl group..

Still amazes me only 3 studio albums, 1 greatest hits and 11 singles that equals 90 Million records sold worldwide in their press release announcement..

The fact they are 10 Million shy of 100 Million has me on cloud 9. 

The issue is called Woman Power and it credits Posh, Baby, Scary, Ginger and Sporty spice as Redefining Feminism and what it was like to be a Girl in the 90s..

For Mel B it was we don't men to complete us, we control our own destiny and our own lives, we don't need men, it's the other way around, they need us. 

For Geri, it was because feminism in the 90s was a dirty word, ir translated to her as Burning your bra (these days women prefer no bras as it's more comfortable, to go bra less).

Melanie C for her meant if you can't beat em, Join em.

Emma Girl power meant, he does the chores and more of the dishes (she's much different now, but old interviews she admitted while living with the girls, she would ditch them on a chore night she hated, leaving someone else to do the dishes, she only stayed if it was laundry day, which is weird. Male or female it seems doing the laundry is the most loved chore of them all)

Victoria for her it meant ditching her fiance and finding the family in her girls, whoo she really found her soul mate at an event in 97, where david Beckham was being honored and she had Melanie C (the football fan) set her up the right way, training in all aspects of the sport to impress him. 

But, most of all the message of girl power was male or female of the hetero***ual kind can actually be friends..

There is this myth that it's impossible for the opposite s** to be friends with no ***ual feelings or any romantic ideas involved, to the girls it was extremely important that this message was to get out there. Friends can happen, after all the best relationships happen to be your best friend that you fall in love with, naturally.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Stylist Magazine announced a Spice girls special issue to celebrate 25 years of the best selling girl group..

Still amazes me only 3 studio albums, 1 greatest hits and 11 singles that equals 90 Million records sold worldwide in their press release announcement..

The fact they are 10 Million shy of 100 Million has me on cloud 9. 

The issue is called Woman Power and it credits Posh, Baby, Scary, Ginger and Sporty spice as Redefining Feminism and what it was like to be a Girl in the 90s..

For Mel B it was we don't men to complete us, we control our own destiny and our own lives, we don't need men, it's the other way around, they need us. 

For Geri, it was because feminism in the 90s was a dirty word, ir translated to her as Burning your bra (these days women prefer no bras as it's more comfortable, to go bra less).

Melanie C for her meant if you can't beat em, Join em..

Emma Girl power meant, he does the chores and more of the dishes (she's much different now, but old interviews she admitted while living with the girls, she would ditch them on a chore night she hated, leaving someone else to do the dishes, she only stayed if it was laundry day, which is weird. Male or female it seems doing the laundry is the most loved chore of them all)

Victoria for her it meant ditching her fiance and finding the family in her girls, whoo she really found her soul mate at an event in 97, where david Beckham was being honored and she had Melanie C (the football fan) set her up the right way, training in all aspects of the sport to impress him. 

But, most of all the message of girl power was male or female of the hetero***ual kind can actually be friends..

There is this myth that it's impossible for the opposite s** to be friends with no ***ual feelings or any romantic ideas involved, to the girls it was extremely important that this message was to get out there. Friends can happen, after all the best relationships happen to be your best friend that you fall in love with, naturally..

They like to say equality. I think Spice Girls were a true example of empowering that people couldn’t understand. They were ahead of their time.

• Like 1

I know they all grew up and did their solo endeavors, but I wish at some point after they disbanded they would've gone back to releasing stuff together, and not just for the reunions. Like, they could've kept their individual projects, and parallel to that they could've still released an occasional single or album every couple of years or something. They didn't have to go full power like it was the 90's. They didn't even have to tour, just keep releasing music every now and then.

1 hour ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

How have they sold 90 million? If I remember correctly, their albums have solar a total of 40 million (23 + 13 + 1). 

Selling 50 million in singles back then sounds a little too much.

That was in the announcement they did. 

Spice sold 30 Million worldwide and Spiceworld sold 25 Million so it's not impossible. Especially the album sales was astonishing for a girl group 

• Like 1

I remember being super young and having this new (spice) world of inclusivity and empowerment being shown at me through super fun and s/xy music and videos. They really were pioneers in that, and I wouldn't have had such an open mind at such a young age if they hadn't showed me that, so I'll be forever grateful to them for that <3

1 hour ago, FemmeFataleBrit said:

How have they sold 90 million? If I remember correctly, their albums have solar a total of 40 million (23 + 13 + 1). 

Selling 50 million in singles back then sounds a little too much.

Are you serious? They were H-U-G-E back then. Naming their second album "Spice World" was not a reach.

2 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I agree with this, but there are many other Fierce & Fabulous Ladies of that era.  :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I get what it means, the impact on our generation was felt more, cos Britney I believe wasn't a feminist at that time when she started. 

I think it meant it defined feminism for the millenials I was 13 when they hit, and it impacted us more than the messages of Madonna and others including Janet and Mariah Carey who was incorporating ***uality and adult themes, so that was unrelatable to a 13 year old then it would be a mid 20s or early 30s. 

4 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

That was in the announcement they did. 

Spice sold 30 Million worldwide and Spiceworld sold 25 Million so it's not impossible. Especially the album sales was astonishing for a girl group 

I highly doubt Spice sold 30 million. The album sold about 7 million copies in the US. If it sold 23 in the rest of the world then the album wouldn’t be too far behind Thriller.

Also, Spice World sold 13 million, maybe 15 today.

I feel like their success is a bit exaggerated now that I look back. Their career, while hugely successful, spanned less than half a decade. Compared to acts to Girls Aloud, Sugababes, PCD and more recently Little Mix, they pale in comparison in terms of longevity. 

1 hour ago, bas che said:

I feel like their success is a bit exaggerated now that I look back. Their career, while hugely successful, spanned less than half a decade. Compared to acts to Girls Aloud, Sugababes, PCD and more recently Little Mix, they pale in comparison in terms of longevity. 

The problem was they weren't designed to last. Even biography magazine called them a fad, and they even admitted after Geri left, so did the fans. 

Cos the friendship never ends turned out to be a lie. 

Geri said, they were exhausted but they couldn't rest, anybody would have left, not being home for two years, that's not normal. 

I haven't seen my mother for a year, my father died and to be told I couldn't go to his funeral, you would eventually call it quits that your family wasn't important to business people running your lives. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

The problem was they weren't designed to last. Even biography magazine called them a fad, and they even admitted after Geri left, so did the fans. 

Cos the friendship never ends turned out to be a lie. 

Geri said, they were exhausted but they couldn't rest, anybody would have left, not being home for two years, that's not normal. 

I haven't seen my mother for a year, my father died and to be told I couldn't go to his funeral, you would eventually call it quits that your family wasn't important to business people running your lives. 

Sad to see such practices are still apparent in the kpop scene, occasionally leading to not so happy endings. But it’s good for the fans bc they keep the F E D all throughout. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block