Have any of you been to Kentwood? What is there to do there?

I'm going to Louisiana in a few months and I thought it would be fun to take a day or a half day and go to Kentwood to see where our girl is from. I have no idea what there is to do there. Have any of you been or have any suggestions? Britney's fave lunch spot or anything? I know the Britney Spears Museum used to be there, is it still there? Thanks for any info!

No I never been but I always wanted to go to New Orleans. That would be great to visit Kentwood for a day and check out where Britney came from!   Generally its not much to do down South unless you are in New Orleans or Atlanta however the food is always AMAZING, I never been to one bad restaurant down south.

If you are Black or a POC you will come across some racist bigots or see confederate flags on people lawns or in their car in some form.   Its not like the big cities where racism is more subtle & behind your back. Its more in your face but tbh I prefer that, lets me know where we stand with each other. lololol

• Like 2

Yes in 2009, but I was passing through the highway with friends and we did a loop around the main road in. I wanted to ask my friend to drive past serenity but it sounds a bit weird to people who aren't fans!

The town museum wasn't open that day, its only open 2/3 days a week so do check. The town is a bit sad looking, I saw a sonic and a Ford dealership, and loads of shanty looking homes. Have a look on google street view to see what I mean.

You should go. Louisiana is beautiful with all sorts of ecosystems and historical places to explore. The South has some of the kindest people you will meet too and they are very down to earth. If the Britneyseum is open you should go and take pictures for us and I’m sure Kentwood would appreciate the tourism :tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OCBoy1985 said:

No I never been but I always wanted to go to New Orleans. That would be great to visit Kentwood for a day and check out where Britney came from!   Generally its not much to do down South unless you are in New Orleans or Atlanta however the food is always AMAZING, I never been to one bad restaurant down south.

If you are Black or a POC you will come across some racist bigots or see confederate flags on people lawns or in their car in some form.   Its not like the big cities where racism is more subtle & behind your back. Its more in your face but tbh I prefer that, lets me know where we stand with each other. lololol

I'm glad you said this, especially about the blatant racism -- that's a top reason why my Black self has no desire to visit Britney's hometown, even though Black people are there. It's still very segregated from what I know. but I'll say that there is A LOT to do down south and not just in New Orleans or Atlanta. Cities like Charleston, Nashville and yes, Montgomery, offer many things to do. I visited Texas and there was stuff to do there too, which surprised me a little because it wasn't the most popular city.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, ZoneGirl said:

I'm glad you said this, especially about the blatant racism -- that's a top reason why my Black self has no desire to visit Britney's hometown, even though Black people are there. It's still very segregated from what I know. but I'll say that there is A LOT to do down south and not just in New Orleans or Atlanta. Cities like Charleston, Nashville and yes, Montgomery, offer many things to do. I visited Texas and there was stuff to do there too, which surprised me a little because it wasn't the most popular city.

As a southerner, I can confirm that the south is pretty facking racist, I always kind of suspected it was until I moved to Michigan and couldn’t believe how much better it was than the south (I say that realizing that I am not a POC but I refer only to what I see and hear). :martini_telling_talking_preaching_couch:

25 minutes ago, ZoneGirl said:

Same! I'll visit it though a virtual tour of someone else's pictures! 

There’s nothing really worthy left to see. The museum can be seen on YouTube and it’s super run down at this point. The locals are either kind, or annoyed that you’re in their town. Lots of homophobia(god hates f*gs signs can be found on some lawns)and racism so be careful. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OCBoy1985 said:

One of the reasons why I hate other people and can no longer get along with others.I can endure something like this less and less.:nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus: I'm sorry,what you had to go through.Don't take it personally. Something is very wrong with such people.

1.You should definitely visit the museum,Britney ́s  youth room is there orginal built with her things.A deceased fan has inherited his collection.And Britney ́s Femme Fatal wings hang there.For a few dollars you can take a photo with them.Find that but ok,the museum has to fight quite a bit.But it is only open three days a week.

2.They have a Britney sign, you should check this out.

3.Serenity

4.Her family home (her father has in the garden the bird of the femme fatal tour) + Jamie's fitness center nearby

5.NYLA´s Burger Basket:Brit loves to eat chicken there. You can seat at her favorite table. They have a lot of framed posters from her and autographs.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nylas-burger-basket-osyka

PS:Of course, a lot can have changed.Check it before you drive.Wish you a good trip and have a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to go in jan/Feb.

I'm from Canada and my work is planning to send us to new Orleans for a conference... since it's free flight I'm wanting to spend an extra day or two to drive to Louisiana. I would never have the opportunity again... I just hope covid doesn't cancel this one too as I've missed the past 2 (Mexico and San diego) conferences for various reasons (last year covid)

I think it would be so cool to see Louisiana being both a britney and a trueblood fan and I just imagine it to be so totally different from Vancouver (I've never really traveled before... I've only ever known the wet coast)

I’m Canadian and did a road trip of most of the USA summer of 2015. Kentwood was one of the stops and honestly it was kind of creepy and run down. It was a dark afternoon cause a storm was coming and I think that added to me feeling a sense of unease lol 

I drove around looking for Nyla’s burger basket but didn’t really wanna get out and ask for directions. that’s really the only spot I wanted to check out since I know she liked to eat there and it’s a local restaurant! 

I wished I had tried harder to find it but it was getting dark and I don’t like to drive looking for a hotel/motel after dark. 

But yeah it’s a small place. I think half a day would suffice. Or just a couple hours lol 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ZoneGirl said:

Oh I forgot all about Nashville, its the birthplace of Country, Blues & Rock right?  My cousin loves Nashville she just got back and goes at least 2xx a yr and she always says how much its to do down there.

If not for the blatant racism, asinine laws (like w**d not being decriminalized) & hard to get a good paying job then I would be all here for moving to Atlanta!  I like how its a lot of Black people doing major things there and how friendly they are regarding LGBTQ community.  It would probably still be a major adjustment moving from a big city like Philly to Atlanta .. its probably hard finding a man too 😂

How was Texas they have some cute boys down there?  I also noticed that a lot of gays are moving down there too.

Have you ever heard of sundown towns down south and in middle America?  Basically there are these towns where almost no black people reside and if Black people are caught there in said town after the sun goes down they are arrested, sometimes goes missing, ********, harassed by the locals & cops etc.

15 hours ago, OCBoy1985 said:

Oh I forgot all about Nashville, its the birthplace of Country, Blues & Rock right?  My cousin loves Nashville she just got back and goes at least 2xx a yr and she always says how much its to do down there.

If not for the blatant racism, asinine laws (like w**d not being decriminalized) & hard to get a good paying job then I would be all here for moving to Atlanta!  I like how its a lot of Black people doing major things there and how friendly they are regarding LGBTQ community.  It would probably still be a major adjustment moving from a big city like Philly to Atlanta .. its probably hard finding a man too 😂

How was Texas they have some cute boys down there?  I also noticed that a lot of gays are moving down there too.

Have you ever heard of sundown towns down south and in middle America?  Basically there are these towns where almost no black people reside and if Black people are caught there in said town after the sun goes down they are arrested, sometimes goes missing, ********, harassed by the locals & cops etc.

19 hours ago, patr!ckjean said:

As a southerner, I can confirm that the south is pretty facking racist, I always kind of suspected it was until I moved to Michigan and couldn’t believe how much better it was than the south (I say that realizing that I am not a POC but I refer only to what I see and hear). :martini_telling_talking_preaching_couch:

But I was racially profiled in California too. I'm black and a racist is gonna be a racist no matter where they are in America or the world.

There are sooo many things to do in Nashville, yes! I think people believe NYC is the only place to be but it's really not.

Idk about it being hard to get a good paying job down south. I've seen six figure job postings  -- it's all about your industry. Plus you can get more bang for your buck.I hear that so much from people who love to buy houses down south. The  w**d thing he hella lame. Like, hella hella. I know people who really need it to calm down. Healthcare is no picnic! The other stuff I've heard is a problem for even major southern cities. like D.C. 

Yeah, I'm familiar with sundown towns. I've mostly heard they're a middle of America thing. That's all from way back with interstate development, green books the whole bit. And yeah, it still exists today. I couldn't imagine driving cross country as a black woman through those places. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, PZHSB said:

There’s nothing really worthy left to see. The museum can be seen on YouTube and it’s super run down at this point. The locals are either kind, or annoyed that you’re in their town. Lots of homophobia(god hates f*gs signs can be found on some lawns)and racism so be careful. 

WOW!  So not only are they racist bigots they are also homophobe's too, why why why doesn't that surprise me? 

I will never understand how U hate someone based on their skin color, race or ethnicity & also how U hate on someone cause of what they do in their own private life or who they indenity by? 

Who I sleep with or not doesn't have anything to do with so & so and its not hurting anyone w/e I do in my damn bedroom smh.  Quiet as kept it's a LOT of racism and segregation in the LGBTQ community but that's an ENTIRELY different conversation. 🤦🏽‍♂️