"Main pop girls" DON'T exist, stop with this non-sense

I don't understand, so your problem is with the term we use here (I didn't know it was exclusive to Exhale, though?), or with the idea behind it? It's just a way of separating one hit wonders from artists with longevity. Call that whatever you want. "Main pop girls" works perfectly for me.

Ariana and Rihanna are DEFINITELY here for the long run, and they already made enough pop history to be remembered by if they'd like to retire now.

I wouldn't call Kesha a "main pop girl", but I wouldn't discard her either.

PS: Can you name me artists from 200 years ago?

• Love 1
  • Like 5

This kinda makes sense. The widespread labeling in the music industry is becoming toxic, especially how most people use it to discredit hardworking artists. They tend to label the minority of artists as flops like Meghan Trainor, Carly Rae Jepsen, Bebe Rexha etc., though these artists have their fair share of contribution in pop culture. :mhmnod_yes_agree_nodding:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

I don't understand, so your problem is with the term we use here (I didn't know it was exclusive to Exhale, though?), or with the idea behind it? It's just a way of separating one hit wonders from artists with longevity. Call that whatever you want. "Main pop girls" works perfectly for me.

Ariana and Rihanna are DEFINITELY here for the long run, and they already made enough pop history to be remembered by if they'd like to retire now.

It's just a  very ephemeral and shallow concept, if "main pop girls" were a real thing it would change all the time depending on norms, cultures, decades etc, like... who were the MPGs of the 80s? Madonna, Paula Abdul, Cindy Lauper, Janet Jackson ? It's not something that stays glued in time forever. Sounds, mentalities and cultures evolve way too fast and in 100-200 years people will probably listen to something else they wont be listening to Dua Lipa or Ariana Grande anymore.  Beethoven is an artist from 200 years ago but you can't compare Beethoven to Dua Lipa lol

Beethoven was a visionary pioneer and literally invented a music genre which isn't the case for 2010s popstars who just follow the trends and are clones of previous 2000s popstars.

53 minutes ago, ALBAVEASP said:

This kinda makes sense. The widespread labeling in the music industry is becoming toxic, especially how most people use it to discredit hardworking artists. They tend to label the minority of artists as flops like Meghan Trainor, Carly Rae Jepsen, Bebe Rexha etc., though these artists have their fair share of contribution in pop culture. :mhmnod_yes_agree_nodding:

Yes, i don't like how some people undervalue artists and reduce them to their amount of sales or #1s

• Like 1

Like I said, claiming there are "main pop girls" doesn't mean you have to discard the others. CHARLI XCX, BEBE REXHA, TINASHE, Marina and the Diamonds, Meghan Trainor, Carly Rae Jepsen... They are all amazing, but they haven't blow out of proportion like the most famous ones. And when they do, that usually happens because they are special or have something extra to offer, usually a worldwide appeal, and that separates them from the rest.

Now comparing Dua or whoever with Beethoven... Girl you're alone on that conversation, I'm out.

• Like 3

Hey - people still listen to Beethoven and he died 195 years ago. All things considered, he was probably a “main pop bish” of his time. I would bet big money people will still be listening to Britney Spears/Mariah/Ariana/Gaga etc. in 200 years 🤷🏼‍♀️ #Facts 

however- music is such easier to get and put out into the world, it’s not just the main pop girls that will stand the test of time. So many amazing artists will be rediscovered years from now because everything is digital and stays online somewhere forever now lol.

• Love 2

I feel like this main pop girl thing has its ebbs and flows. Yes I do believe it in and billboard can attest to this. We have had some great eras of main pop girls.

- Mariah, Whitney, Janet, Toni, Madonna

- Brandy, Monica, Aaliyah 

- Britney, Christina…. Can’t think of anyone else 

- Beyonce, Shakira, Fergie, Nelly Furtado and Gwen

- Rihanna, Ke$ha (Ke dollar sign ha) Katy Perry,  Nicki Minaj and lady Gaga. 

- Ariana, Dua, Taylor, Doja 

When there isn’t a high of main pop girls you have someone like P!nk that gets to have a number 1 hit. Aka strike while no one is hot!

tenor.gif

• Love 2
  • Haha 2

I think each generation will inspire another generation of musical talent. I think we've already hit a peak unless of course we discover new theatrics to elevate live performances (like hover boards). Will it resonate as hard, as say, Britney? Probably not. But for each generation, that artist may have meant something to them and will impact that person in a different way (if not more potentially than what Britney did for us). Much like how Madonna changed so many lives that we all couldn't truly understand unless we lived and grew in that era. So instead, I'd say we should just celebrate all musical talent together. In 200 years, maybe even Britney would be some fleeting name that gets mentioned or thrown around much like how we reminiscent over Joan of Arc these days, but it doesn't take away the impact and influence it has done for us all. In that, we should just salvage the memories and hope that other generations that come will be as impacted and moved by her artistry and talent. Because for some of us, Britney is life. She instills and inspires so much that without her, life feels a lot less brighter and her star truly shines. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I would not put Ariana in the same category as Rihanna. 

• Like 1

I feel like I read "IT pop girl" or "IT songwriter" or "IT producer" all the time, on Billboard, NME, The Guardian, etc. I don't really see "Main Pop Girl" as any different. It does suck that it seems to write off some other artists, but I suppose that's really only if you take any of this that seriously. But the term has certainly been used well outside of Exhale. 

• Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block