"Main pop girls" DON'T exist, stop with this non-sense

"I've never heard anyone outside of pop forums and stan twitter mention this term" Well sis that's because pop forums are the exact place where you would expect people to talk about music in specific terms. Main pop girl is just a way to categorize a female pop singer/s that has passed a certain threshold in terms of sales, success, influence over the industry ,Iconic-ness ,etc..

The gp may not casually use the term MPG but they intrinsically understand there's a difference between a Beyonce and a Kelly Rowland. We're just putting a label on it. Everyone literally understands MPG , no matter the words they use to identify it.

You sound pressed cause your fave is a not main. it's okay sis:deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

• Love 1
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, ObsessedBritFan1 said:

I think each generation will inspire another generation of musical talent. I think we've already hit a peak unless of course we discover new theatrics to elevate live performances (like hover boards). Will it resonate as hard, as say, Britney? Probably not. But for each generation, that artist may have meant something to them and will impact that person in a different way (if not more potentially than what Britney did for us). Much like how Madonna changed so many lives that we all couldn't truly understand unless we lived and grew in that era. So instead, I'd say we should just celebrate all musical talent together. In 200 years, maybe even Britney would be some fleeting name that gets mentioned or thrown around much like how we reminiscent over Joan of Arc these days, but it doesn't take away the impact and influence it has done for us all. In that, we should just salvage the memories and hope that other generations that come will be as impacted and moved by her artistry and talent. Because for some of us, Britney is life. She instills and inspires so much that without her, life feels a lot less brighter and her star truly shines. 

Beautiful post! And actually smart...

56 minutes ago, Samsung44 said:

If they don’t exist then how do you explain Olive Oildrigo :4music_britney_2013_uk_annoyed_irritated_mad:

:haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

• Love 2
9 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I don't understand, so your problem is with the term we use here (I didn't know it was exclusive to Exhale, though?), or with the idea behind it? It's just a way of separating one hit wonders from artists with longevity. Call that whatever you want. "Main pop girls" works perfectly for me.

Ariana and Rihanna are DEFINITELY here for the long run, and they already made enough pop history to be remembered by if they'd like to retire now.

I wouldn't call Kesha a "main pop girl", but I wouldn't discard her either.

PS: Can you name me artists from 200 years ago?

I still slutdrop to Beethoven. He's got BOPS :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

• Love 2
  • Haha 4

Sounds to me that you kind of seem bothered by the term but your real criticism is towards pop stars in general and their transcendence or relevance in the long run? Am I right? I mean, authentic question cause I really don`t think the term matters as much as the idea behind it and what gives it substance. Which yeah, it is highly debatable in many snenses. But before I open my big mouth, are you criticizing the label or the whole idea behind being a pop star and what it means?

19 hours ago, Korb said:

"I've never heard anyone outside of pop forums and stan twitter mention this term" Well sis that's because pop forums are the exact place where you would expect people to talk about music in specific terms. Main pop girl is just a way to categorize a female pop singer/s that has passed a certain threshold in terms of sales, success, influence over the industry ,Iconic-ness ,etc..

The gp may not casually use the term MPG but they intrinsically understand there's a difference between a Beyonce and a Kelly Rowland. We're just putting a label on it. Everyone literally understands MPG , no matter the words they use to identify it.

You sound pressed cause your fave is a not main. it's okay sis:deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

i don't have a fav i'm not  14 anymore

and MPGs is a fictional concept invented by gays who only listen to mainstream corporate cookie-cutter pop music.

Most people who use these pop forums are pop music stans that listen to nothing else and live in their own tiny bubble , they care so much about charts, "critical acclaim" (lol), certifications, statistics, pop cultural impact,  whether someone is a flop or not, they talk more about the success, marketing side of things , rather than THE SOUND or THE MUSIC. They reduce the value of an artist to the amount of #1s hits they had, or the amount of Grammys they won. It's just part of stan culture you know? I rarely see discussion purely about music on here. It's always a popularity contest. So like... It's weird when u guys pretend that these pop girls will be remembered for their music :)

On 5/11/2021 at 11:32 AM, Dreams said:

It's just a  very ephemeral and shallow concept, if "main pop girls" were a real thing it would change all the time depending on norms, cultures, decades etc, like... who were the MPGs of the 80s? Madonna, Paula Abdul, Cindy Lauper, Janet Jackson ? It's not something that stays glued in time forever. Sounds, mentalities and cultures evolve way too fast and in 100-200 years people will probably listen to something else they wont be listening to Dua Lipa or Ariana Grande anymore.  Beethoven is an artist from 200 years ago but you can't compare Beethoven to Dua Lipa lol

Beethoven was a visionary pioneer and literally invented a music genre which isn't the case for 2010s popstars who just follow the trends and are clones of previous 2000s popstars.

Yes, i don't like how some people undervalue artists and reduce them to their amount of sales or #1s

You sound like you get offended at everything and make stupid points.  I would definitely not be sitting at your table. It's literally another term for "it girl" and there are literally people dying from a pandemic right now.

Knock It Off Eye Roll GIF by Ryn Deanyou cant sit with us mean girls GIF

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block