Britney Did NOT Steal 'Perfume' Credits!

Arckangel

Perfume (Sia Full)
Sia Perfume Lyric Video

Sia - Perfume (Solo) Note by the uploader: The song "Perfume" is written by Sia and sold to Britney Spears. The record is combined of: Britney Spears' "Perfume" instrumental, Sia's "Perfume" acapella, Sia's acoustic version of "Perfume". This exclusive combined version is found nowhere else but here. Enjoy.

Britney Spears - Perfume (Official Lyric Video)

Am I missing something? Britney's version has two more verses:

Do I imagine it, or do I see your stare
Is there still longing there?
Oh I hate myself, and I feel crazy
Such a classic tale
Current girl friend, ex girlfriend, I'm trying to be cool
Am I being paranoid, am I seeing things?
Am I just insecure?

[...]

I wanna fill the room, when she's in it with you
Please don't forget me
Do I imagine it, or catch these moments
I know you got history
But I'm your girlfriend, now I'm your girlfriend
Trying to be cool
I hope I'm paranoid, that I'm just seeing things
That I'm just insecure

Perfume was written by Britney Spears, Sia Furler and Christopher Braide, produced by will.i.am and co-produced by Keith Harris and Christopher Braide. Sia originally wrote it, but it appears Britney added in two verses. Did Sia actually write those two verses?

And what about the music, the instrumental of the final Britney Jean version? Is the final instrumental composition the exact same as the one composed by Sia? Any change in the music composition may warrant a credit—Britney can also craft instrumentals; she's the sole writer of Someday I Will Understand.

Why is Britney still accused of stealing that songwriting credit? I'm referring to Part 4 of Deep Dive's series. They may have meant well, but they're not helping her by spreading false allegations.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a documentary or interview that Sia did in 2014 where she alluded to writing all of Perfume…does anyone else remember this??

edit: 5:30

The only BJ writing credit I’m convinced of is hold on tight tbh cause didn’t she say that her friend Afro Jack came over with a guitar and helped write it with her??

• Super Mods
3 hours ago, Circuit said:

I remember a documentary or interview that Sia did in 2014 where she alluded to writing all of Perfume…does anyone else remember this??

The only BJ writing credit I’m convinced of is hold on tight tbh cause didn’t she say that her friend Afro Jack came over with a guitar and helped write it with her??

I agree , Hold On Tight is very much like someday and what the real Britney would sing about. It felt very natural. 

never believed she wrote perfume, she was hyping it up in interviews so you know it was Larry trying to ride the Sia trend, you know damn well he pushed for that when Britney wanted Alien as she pushed to have it on the POM set list and saying it was gonna be a single anyways.

@Circuit Once again, Britney's version has two more verses. Sia sings part of one of them in that clip, but in her demo, the verses are absent. And the final instrumental is not the same. I have a point songwriting is not just about lyrics, obviously.

Listen to the demo of Tik Tik BoomBritney Spears - Tik Tik Boom (Demo) Compare w/ the final version: Britney Spears - Tik Tik Boom (Audio) ft. T.I.. Are the lyrics exactly the same? No, there are obvious changes (+ T.I.'s verse). Is the music the same? No.

As for Body Ache, Myah Marie confirmed the second verse was left open for Britney and Anthony Preston to write it. Passenger has minor changes. Don't Cry sounds quite personal, so does Chillin' With You, obviously. As for the other tracks, there is no indication of theft. Britney was never one to take undue credit.

6 hours ago, Circuit said:

Britney hangs out with Afro jack? :gerlwat_sunglasses_cigarette_looking_what_blink:

Britney and Sia talked about what Britney wanted to sing about. Britney told her the story of what she was going through and Sia turned that story into Perfume and the unreleased song Cologne. This is why Britney is credited as writer. Sia should have been more clear, but I wouldnt be surprised if team Britney didnt want anyone to know.

:lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: BRITNEY IS NOT A SONG CREDIT THIEF, though I do think some of the writing credit on BJ are questionable.

Britney technically should have writing credits for more songs, but refuses because she felt her input and changes were so minimal. 

I guess we will never know since they faked the credits for the entire album.

But her input was very minimal on that song if she had one. Same for Alien. The demo just lacked a verse.

I think she wrote on It Should Be Easy, Till It's Gone, Don't Cry, Chillin' With U, Hold On Tight, Brighest Morning Star and Now That I Found You.

Which is 7 on 13 songs. There was no need to fake the writing credits.

11 minutes ago, Avatar said:

Britney and Sia talked about what Britney wanted to sing about. Britney told her the story of what she was going through and Sia turned that story into Perfume and the unreleased song Cologne. This is why Britney is credited as writer. Sia should have been more clear, but I wouldn't be surprised if team Britney didn't want anyone to know.

:lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: BRITNEY IS NOT A SONG CREDIT THIEF, though I do think some of the writing credit on BJ are questionable.

Britney technically should have writing credits for more songs, but refuses because she felt her input and changes were so minimal. 

I feel like a singer should have a writing credit if he comes with the concept of the song, even if he doesn't write a single word. That's a hard job to do and not everyone can do it. Also if he comes with the melodies.

But tweaking a couple of words in an already elaborated song doesn't deserve a writing credit to me. 

3 minutes ago, Louis_j said:

I feel like a singer should have a writing credit if he comes with the concept of the song, even if he doesn't write a single word. That's a hard job to do and not everyone can do it. Also if he comes with the melodies.

But tweaking a couple of words in an already elaborated song doesn't deserve a writing credit to me. 

I agree, unless that one word changes the whole song. Didn't they say that Born To Make You Happy was originally DIE to make you happy? lol

I don't believe she wrote on a single track for Britney Jean. Sorry, I just don't. 

Myah Marie is the last person I'd believe on anything. 

Like most people have said on here most of the songs existed almost fully complete by the time they made it to Britney's "team."

I still to this day think there is something very sinister about selling the album as Britney's "most personal" and then delivering a shockingly horrible album with only 15% of her vocals. I believe adding her name to all writing credits was an additional form of sabotage as if to make her take the blame for the whole debacle. This is an album where they have someone else duet with her sister and try to pass it off as a moment between the two. I can't look at this album as anything other than the giant abomination it is.

And unfortunately it has casted doubt on Britney's songwriting skills for me. I definitely look at it sideways now. I used to buy into the narrative that Britney would never take songwriting credit for things she wouldn't do. But now I am not so sure. I mean we know she was selling her Candie's collection as if she designed all of it when in fact she probably did not. And then there was the slip up that she apparently (according to her) doesn't know how to play the piano?

That's not what we were led to believe in the beginning. Even with a song on Glory on her IG last year she said something like "I helped write this song" not "I co-wrote this song." I don't know...sadly lately I don't believe much on how they've sold her in the past. But hey if the only songs she's ever written are Everytime and Someday I Will Understand then those are great. That's two more songs than I've ever written at least. lol 

15 minutes ago, Louis_j said:

I think it's just hard to connect with the song, which is why most people don't like it.

The problem with Perfume for me mainly is the chorus. The verses and the bridge are nice. (Does it even have a bridge? I don't remember lol)

The chorus though I feel like is stretching her vocals too thin. Like she's trying to do a Sia impersonation instead of singing it like Britney. I also believe that the lyrics on the chorus specifically are awkward. It could have benefited from a small rewrite/adjustment. 

A lot of the lyrics are awkward as hell to me.

Ex: Trying to be coo

sometimes it feels like there's threeeeeeeeeeee

mark my territoryyyyy

Its a shame because Britney sounds nice on some parts of this song. But it does seem like it was rushed. And specifically written to sell her perfumes. Similar to Private Show, it could have been great with some small adjustments. Private Show is a great song. If they would have just used a different take for the chorus and pitched the vocals down instead of going full chipmunk it would have been 10x more iconic.

19 minutes ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

I don't believe she wrote on a single track for Britney Jean. Sorry, I just don't. 

Myah Marie is the last person I'd believe on anything. 

Like most people have said on here most of the songs existed almost fully complete by the time they made it to Britney's "team."

I still to this day think there is something very sinister about selling the album as Britney's "most personal" and then delivering a shockingly horrible album with only 15% of her vocals. I believe adding her name to all writing credits was an additional form of sabotage as if to make her take the blame for the whole debacle. This is an album where they have someone else duet with her sister and try to pass it off as a moment between the two. I can't look at this album as anything other than the giant abomination it is.

And unfortunately it has casted doubt on Britney's songwriting skills for me. I definitely look at it sideways now. I used to buy into the narrative that Britney would never take songwriting credit for things she wouldn't do. But now I am not so sure. I mean we know she was selling her Candie's collection as if she designed all of it when in fact she probably did not. And then there was the slip up that she apparently (according to her) doesn't know how to play the piano?

That's not what we were led to believe in the beginning. Even with a song on Glory on her IG last year she said something like "I helped write this song" not "I co-wrote this song." I don't know...sadly lately I don't believe much on how they've sold her in the past. But hey if the only songs she's ever written are Everytime and Someday I Will Understand then those are great. That's two more songs than I've ever written at least. lol 

:well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black: :well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black: :well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black:

This.

Sorry, I just can’t believe that Britney (or anyone) would let someone else sing the songs that she supposedly wrote and were supposedly her most personal songs. And for Britney Jean being supposedly her most personal album, it sure was an era that got dropped quick and hasn’t been really used in POM/tours since.

Britney has been demonstrating time and time again that she hasn’t been wanting to do what she’s been doing for the most of the past 15 years. Whether it was her marriage to Jason Alexander or K-Fed, her writing letters saying she thinks she would rather start developing other artists/her own label, to seemingly self-sabotaging and/or just trying to rebel and gain control with the head-shaving, to her looking miserable during the FF era and releasing an album that had no actual connection to her real personal life and was basically a Dr. Luke/Max Martin album, to letting someone else sing her album for her while marketing the album as her most personal, to her saying for years that she is most excited in her life to settle down and have a family. 

Britney Jean, to me, is just something else she felt forced to do under the conservatorship. I don’t think she wrote much or any of it, and I don’t think she cared for it at all.

2 hours ago, Urbanney said:

:well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black: :well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black: :well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black:

This.

Sorry, I just can’t believe that Britney (or anyone) would let someone else sing the songs that she supposedly wrote and were supposedly her most personal songs. And for Britney Jean being supposedly her most personal album, it sure was an era that got dropped quick and hasn’t been really used in POM/tours since.

Britney has been demonstrating time and time again that she hasn’t been wanting to do what she’s been doing for the most of the past 15 years. Whether it was her marriage to Jason Alexander or K-Fed, her writing letters saying she thinks she would rather start developing other artists/her own label, to seemingly self-sabotaging and/or just trying to rebel and gain control with the head-shaving, to her looking miserable during the FF era and releasing an album that had no actual connection to her real personal life and was basically a Dr. Luke/Max Martin album, to letting someone else sing her album for her while marketing the album as her most personal, to her saying for years that she is most excited in her life to settle down and have a family. 

Britney Jean, to me, is just something else she felt forced to do under the conservatorship. I don’t think she wrote much or any of it, and I don’t think she cared for it at all.

Exactly this. BJ has been appropriately paid dust. And it's absolutely no coincidence at all that they did NOT invite Myah back for Glory.

I think in a way Britney herself might have felt ashamed for "her" output with BJ. It might have lit a fire under her *** to release something of quality as I am sure even if she wanted to retire she may have at least wanted to go out on top. 

But I agree with you. Britney was 100% checked out at that point. So her taking that much of an active role in BJ makes no sense to me. Of course we can go with the fan rumors that the record label in the end always ended up going in a different direction so Britney would always lose interest/give up. And maybe she initially started to write for said eras. Who knows? But they even gave her writing credit on SITS. Honestly after the BJ debacle I look at every writing credit other than Someday, Everytime, and My Baby kind of sideways. I do like to believe she had a heavy writing influence on In the Zone. She's listed as executive producer for Blackout but at the end of the day who knows? She did seem to at least be trying to take creative control in that era (look at her outline for Piece of Me music video that leaked in the e-mails.) But anything past Blackout at this point I am just like 

tell the truth GIF

To me if you're taking credit for creating fashion designs that you didn't design, and are given credit to a whole album you didn't write it just makes me skeptical. Prior to Britney Jean people actually praised Britney for not jacking other people's song writing credits like other artists! I really don't blame her for any of this. Her team has been managing her in the worst most unprofessional way since Femme Fatale. 

Archived