Britney Did NOT Steal 'Perfume' Credits!

Arckangel

13 hours ago, Louis_j said:

I guess we will never know since they faked the credits for the entire album.

But her input was very minimal on that song if she had one. Same for Alien. The demo just lacked a verse.

I think she wrote on It Should Be Easy, Till It's Gone, Don't Cry, Chillin' With U, Hold On Tight, Brighest Morning Star and Now That I Found You.

Which is 7 on 13 songs. There was no need to fake the writing credits.

Once again, Myah Marie stated the second verse of Body Ache (she wrote) was left open for Britney and Anthony Preston to write. She was very specific there, and there is no indication she was lying about that in particular. Body Ache was also written by David Guetta, Giorgio Tuinfort, Luciana Caporaso, Nick Clow, Richard Gonzalez and Jose Luna. Songwriting can be about the lyrics and/or the melodies, the music. If a writer creates a melody that becomes part of the instrumental (they may, for instance, sing a riff melody to a musician who will play it or play it themselves), they will receive a credit for it.

You'll notice how songs nowadays may have multiple writers (Body Ache's got nine). That's in part because of the way songs are oftentimes written nowadays, the way technology and song production have evolved, etc. Sebastian Ingrosso revealed in an interview how he did not write any lyrics or melodies for Work ***** but still surprisingly received a songwriting credit just for assisting with production. Source: https://www.mtv.com/news/1714757/sebastian-ingrosso-britney-spears-work-*****/

I feel saying Britney may/must have stolen those credits is an insult to her intelligence, like she's not smart enough to write, but all those other writers are. Britney's written Someday I Will Understand alone and co-wrote many more songs over the years incl. some songs for other artists and some unreleased tracks. There is no absolute proof she stole anything.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

Once again, Myah Marie stated the second verse of Body Ache (she wrote) was left open for Britney and Anthony Preston to write. She was very specific there, and there is no indication she was lying about that in particular. Body Ache was also written by David Guetta, Giorgio Tuinfort, Luciana Caporaso, Nick Clow, Richard Gonzalez and Jose Luna. Songwriting can be about the lyrics and/or the melodies, the music. If a writer creates a melody that becomes part of the instrumental (they may, for instance, sing a riff melody to a musician who will play it or play it themselves), they will receive a credit for it.

You'll notice how songs nowadays may have multiple writers (Body Ache's got nine). That's in part because of the way songs are oftentimes written nowadays, the way technology and song production have evolved, etc. Sebastian Ingrosso revealed in an interview how he did not write any lyrics or melodies for Work ***** but still surprisingly received a songwriting credit just for assisting with production. Source: https://www.mtv.com/news/1714757/sebastian-ingrosso-britney-spears-work-*****/

I feel saying Britney may/must have stolen those credits is an insult to her intelligence, like she's not smart enough to write, but all those other writers are. Britney's written Someday I Will Understand alone and co-wrote many more songs over the years incl. some songs for other artists and some unreleased tracks. There is no absolute proof she stole anything.

Nobody ever said she stole them. However, her management did indeed list her as a writer on tracks that she did not write. I doubt it was at her request. 

And I do think its bull**** that if you change a word or letter to a song you are given writing credit. I also think its bull**** that 10 writers contributed to an awful track. 

The proof is in that most of the tracks were already mostly complete by the time they even made it to her team. But you're really saying that this is a stretch when there are entire tracks on Britney Jean with only 5% (and that's being generous) of Britney's actual vocals? Wouldn't you say that is "stealing" someone's vocal credit?

Or do you not know that Myah is 90% or more on Work ***** and Chilling With You?

And when it comes to Myah, I don't trust what she has to say at all. She has never met Britney in a professional capacity. She has also lied to us, insisting she's only a background vocalist on BJ when that is clearly not the case. There are songs that clearly have Myah vocals and she's not even credited as background vocalist.

Do you really think that Britney designed the entire line of Candie's as well? I've got a bridge to sell you, if that's the case. 

Nobody is calling Britney stupid or incapable of writing a song. We are merely highlighting the shadiness of her management and her label. 

Period GIF by MOODMAN

it's a touchy subject for sure. 

Britney herself has never been the one to claim credit for herself, when it wasn't rightfully due. 
But we have to remember that she hasn't been her own "master" for over a decade. I don't remember reading about a popstar as big as her that had soooo many project/ideas shoved under the rug as she had. For what we're told, Blackout / FF / BJ all had completely different concepts when she first started working on them. Even Original Doll, which she took upon herself to bringing it to a radio and playing one of the songs (which indicates an envolvement like never before) was completely dismissed by her label (which feels that was done just out of spite for her actions).
It looks like she didn't want to bring the BJ album out as it was. They phoned it in and brought someone else to finish the songs, and her team label were the ones who made the credits fiasco. She did say it was a personal album, and at some point during the sessions it must have been, but I personaly don't remember she referencing it so afterwards, nor claiming the credits

She's humble and really professional. I can't see the girl who used to refuse credit for just changing a couple lyrics in a song go from that to upright stealing credits for mediocre music. Her team did it and she droped the whole project as protest, not promoting more than a couple songs in a residency and never addressing it altogether.
Notice how it was a tipping point, given the major change in treatment BJ and Glory received. She's promoted Glory, had the songs be featured in commercials, talked about it endlessly. They may have her contractually comply into releasing the BJ album under name and brand, but what was up to solemnly her (performe the songs in live) they never managed to. It speaks volume about how the situation is.

About the piano thing, we all know she's no trained pianist. On her own account, she "learned" to play it over a weekend with Justin (who's also not that gifted in piano playing himself). She's created (beautiful) riffs and plays it moderately well, for someone without a classic training; but she wouldn't go about (as some other artists do) claiming that she plays the piano, as like she was about to make a whole concert around it.

And finally, I think it's time we all make peace with the fact that Britney is not the artist she desired to be. The music we know she created/wrote herself has nothing to do with the majority of her discography. It's a common thing to happen with musicians just starting, but unusual to last this long as it has with her. Which it's a pity, because she's truly talented. And when she connects to it, you can't help but to closely watch it happen. Is there a more beautiful maternal song in history than "Someday"? Whenever I remember that she wrote it playing the piano 15 days before finding out about the pregnancy, it gives me goosebumps

She's always being ethical with her work, that's something that we can't take away from her. But she's a popstar, and popstars are not genuine/original artists in the critics' eyes. They are always gonna be discredited to some degree. Heck, it's happend to Michael Jackson(people taking creadit for his dancing, his musicality, his input, his singing, his whole act as a performer) who's arguably the biggest star in the planet... why would it be a surprise that they would do it to someone who's been unable to defend herself and state her opinions for such a long time?

If you ever doubt Britney's credit to her own stardom, just remember that the Baby One More Time video, which catapulted her to an unprecedented level of fame, was her own idea and concept. 

13 hours ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

I still to this day think there is something very sinister about selling the album as Britney's "most personal" and then delivering a shockingly horrible album with only 15% of her vocals.

According to the allegations and all of the analyses (incl. stems and "Myah Jean" videos), it's rather 50% of her vocals (though not all fans agree on everything). Let's not exaggerate things. That era was tainted enough, we don't need to make it even worse.

Just now, Arckangel said:

According to the allegations and all of the analyses (incl. stems and "Myah Jean" videos), it's rather 50% of her vocals (though not all fans agree on everything). Let's not exaggerate things. That era was tainted enough, we don't need to make it even worse.

I Said What I Said Real Housewives Of Atlanta GIF by Bravo TV

I believe 50% is generous. But let's agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Buffybot said:

I was so happy when I saw Dev Hynes sent demos... His sound would be great for her, but I believe she didn't even heard the songs.

The label and people like Larry tries to sell the "party *** teenage girl" music since forever.

Ray of Light is amazing, I'd love to see Britney with full control.

1 hour ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

Sorry, while I appreciate your post. It was not a good album. Fans didn't drop the ball at all in the era. They are already getting the absolute least. The least the label could do is (their job) and put out good music...

How exactly was it a good album? It was a weird mix of ***** **** and Jesus juice. The album was not cohesive at all. It had no direction. Every track sounded like an unfinished demo. Alien had a glitch. TI had a line about beating a ***** til somebody called PETA. The songs that stans cling onto for dear life (BMS & Hold on Tite) Britney does not sound very good in, if I'm being completely honest. The songs were horribly produced and mastered. 

Britney did bare minimum promo for Blackout and the album stands on its own. There is no excusing how bad Britney Jean was. In fact I would go on to wager that never in my life have I heard an album that bad. In fact, Britney Jean was so bad that it ruined her otherwise flawless metacritic score. It literally brought down her entire catalogue. Chilling with You is an abomination. I would understand if maybe 1 or 2 songs were not that great but the problem runs deep on the entire album. And to top it off you have Myah's struggle vocals invading from every corner. 

If Britney had actually put out a great or even just good album then that era would not be remembered with so much ire. Sometimes I fantasize and wonder what would life had been like if she would have released Glory right before PoM and after FF. Send me to that parallel universe, please. 

The original concept that she worked on was great (these are the three known Dev Hynes demos):

4 hours ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

The proof is in that most of the tracks were already mostly complete by the time they even made it to her team. But you're really saying that this is a stretch when there are entire tracks on Britney Jean with only 5% (and that's being generous) of Britney's actual vocals? Wouldn't you say that is "stealing" someone's vocal credit?

Or do you not know that Myah is 90% or more on Work ***** and Chilling With You?

Let's go over the analyses (many here agree with) again... PerfumeIt Should Be Easy and Don't Cry have Britney as the lead singer. Sia sings backups on Perfume and Myah sings backups on It Should Be Easy (the bridge) and Don't Cry.

Alien and Brightest Morning Star have Britney as the lead singer (except for the "take me home" part of Alien, the "Not alone" hook of Alien and the chorus of Brightest Morning Star).

Tik Tik Boom has Britney as the lead singer (except for a few words here or there and the ad-libs at the end). Note: I do not consider Myah's ad-libs dubbing at all. Some pre-BJ Britney songs have background vocalists taking over or being louder in certain parts. (Change Your Mind) No Seas Cortés and Swimming In the Stars reportedly have a bit of that too. Myah's louder in the pre-chorus of Circus, but Britney and Claude Kelly are definitely in there too.

Now That I Found You has Britney as the lead singer maybe except a few parts (the "Yeah" parts of the chorus maybe). (Britneys***** on YouTube thinks Myah sings "I Am Blown Away" in the chorus and "All my life I’ve..." and "For this day I’ve..." in the bridge.) Myah's credited for backups on it.

Hold On Tight has Britney as the lead singer for a good part of the track. Some parts are dubbed by Myah, and some parts are Britney and Myah duetting.

Passenger has Britney as the lead singer except for "...over the keys" in the first verse, "My co-pilot, yeah, that’s right/Now I can just enjoy the ride" in the second verse and the bridge: "And now we're finally falling/'Cause I was giving you half now I'm all in/My hands in the air while you're driving/This is living/This is living/This is living/Yeah".

According to some, Body Ache has Myah as the lead singer and sole vocalist for the whole track, but according to others, Myah dubbed the second verse (with a deeper tone) only.

As for Chillin' With You, Myah dubbed all of Britney's parts except for the second "...'bout a thing" in the first verse, the very last "'bout a thing" and a several other parts.

As for 'Til It's Gone, Myah dubbed it all except for, in the first verse, "...from the tears that fall like rain/So lost ever since you went away", "My heart's never gonna be the sa-a-ame" and, in the second verse: "...night to turn the page/But daylight can't confine me to a cage/In my mind, the life we had replays"

According to some, Work ***** was fully dubbed except for repetitions of "Work. Work. Work...", "Work it out. Work it out. Work it out..." (except the whispers) and the last two "You better work *****". According to others, it is mixed—a mixture of Britney's lead, Myah's lead + their background vocals). Note: The booklet credits Britney Spears, Myah Marie and Anthony Preston for background vocals.

That pretty much sums up all of the allegations. Not everyone agrees on all those points (for instance, some hear some more of Brit in Chillin' With You and 'Til It's Gone), but yeah... According to the analyses above, Britney roughly sings 50% of the record (the whole record incl. the instrumental parts).

The deluxe edition of Britney Jean (excluding The Dreaming Mix of Perfume) has a running time of about 47 minutes. 50% amounts to close to 24 minutes. 15% would mean less than 10 minutes of vocal time...

On Twitter, Myah Marie denied dubbing the chorus of Passenger, and she claimed to have been overjoyed to hear Britney's vocals on Body Ache. She also told a fan: "I have no vocals featured on Britney Jean besides a few backgrounds that u cNt hear... Again, get your facts straight." A few vocals that one cannot hear? I agree that Myah was not being so truthful.

Myah Marie ended up (on her Spotify playlist and her SoundBetter profile in the credits section) admitting to singing background vocals on Body AcheIt Should Be EasyAlien, Don't CryHold On Tight and Brightest Morning Star for which she was not credited in the booklet. And she reportedly stated an engineer, Serban Ghenea (who's worked on Britney's records for a long time), had put some of her vocals louder by mistake.

Myah Marie Langston's playlist: 

To conclude, I totally understand how you feel about that record. I personally love it ('cause I really like the songs, the music). I just tell myself it's Brit singing w/ Myah enhancing her voice. Of course, some of the dubbed parts are so obvious it's hard to suspend disbelief, but yeah... I just tell myself that.

If we focus too much on Myah, we won't be able to enjoy the record at all, and Britney, the main artist herself, doesn't seem to care at all, and I don't think she ever did or she would have made a stink about it and demanded the album be corrected or she would not do Piece of Me. Did she stand her ground, the album would have been fixed, but she didn't care much at all!

15 hours ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

Sorry, while I appreciate your post. It was not a good album. Fans didn't drop the ball at all in the era. They are already getting the absolute least. The least the label could do is (their job) and put out good music...

How exactly was it a good album? It was a weird mix of ***** **** and Jesus juice. The album was not cohesive at all. It had no direction. Every track sounded like an unfinished demo. Alien had a glitch. TI had a line about beating a ***** til somebody called PETA. The songs that stans cling onto for dear life (BMS & Hold on Tite) Britney does not sound very good in, if I'm being completely honest. The songs were horribly produced and mastered. 

Britney did bare minimum promo for Blackout and the album stands on its own. There is no excusing how bad Britney Jean was. In fact I would go on to wager that never in my life have I heard an album that bad. In fact, Britney Jean was so bad that it ruined her otherwise flawless metacritic score. It literally brought down her entire catalogue. Chilling with You is an abomination. I would understand if maybe 1 or 2 songs were not that great but the problem runs deep on the entire album. And to top it off you have Myah's struggle vocals invading from every corner. 

If Britney had actually put out a great or even just good album then that era would not be remembered with so much ire. Sometimes I fantasize and wonder what would life had been like if she would have released Glory right before PoM and after FF. Send me to that parallel universe, please. 

For me this album told a story of a woman who felt out of place and an out sider. She was determined and worked incredibly hard to obtain everything a person could ever want. Even though she longs for love and showers people with gifts all she receives is their ravenous lust and greed that tirelessly consumes. That she became bitter and explosive. That when you are young and yearning to be loved you torture your body into perfection  and yet all you see is flaws. Then as you mature you appreciate your temple and see yourself with kinder eyes. Everything fades so be appreciative as much as possible. That she learned how to relax and trust again after all the betrayals and being led astray. Thats sometimes you just need to chat with your sister over a bottle of wine. That through her struggles she found an inner solace and a strength to fight and that sometimes fighting is just keeping a firm grip. That not only has she come out of a dark difficult place but that she feels revived and joyful. 

Being an artist and exposing yourself to extremely harsh opinions is absolutely terrifying. So I try to keep that in mind when something isn’t my vibe. I also try to not let someone else’s perspective alter my experience of art. I think art in all of it’s forms is very personal thing. 

Criticism is the death of Creativity

yep there are some changes I would of made if it were mine but the artwork isn’t mine. It’s hers and if she is proud of it I am supportive and proud for her. But thats just my views and they often don’t gowith the flow lol

3 hours ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

That's beautiful and all but sadly this was the story of Myah Marie. I am glad that you can enjoy her work. 

failed ewan mcgregor GIF
star wars no GIF

Mission Abort:

Unfortunately at this time your capabilities to transport from the parallel universe infested with 8 years of old drama are malfunctioning. Fear not. We’ll keep trying😁 Til we meet again Myah Jean. May the force be with you Betch

Fitness Workout GIF by Eric Leija

18 hours ago, Buffybot said:

I was so happy when I saw Dev Hynes sent demos... His sound would be great for her, but I believe she didn't even heard the songs.

The label and people like Larry tries to sell the "party *** teenage girl" music since forever.

Ray of Light is amazing, I'd love to see Britney with full control.

im so in line with this, just listened to this demo and im speechless, its unbelievably good, i love the vibe:

so over the whole edm washed out sounds and cheesy ***kitten lyrics, enough already. i want a mature, experimental britney aka ray of light. its one of my facvourite albums, because it still sounds so fresh today and madonna dared to take a risk by working with an unknown underground electronica producer, she basically introduced the late 90s mainstream to electronica and explore deep subjects such as motherhood, spirituality...

13 minutes ago, Oops2000 said:

im so in line with this, just listened to this demo and im speechless, its unbelievably good, i love the vibe:

so over the whole edm washed out sounds and cheesy ***kitten lyrics, enough already. i want a mature, experimental britney aka ray of light. its one of my facvourite albums, because it still sounds so fresh today and madonna dared to take a risk by working with an unknown underground electronica producer, she basically introduced the late 90s mainstream to electronica and explore deep subjects such as motherhood, spirituality...

I agree. Britney is almost 40, she needs more mature/sofisticated sound and lyrics.

Trying to please radio won't help her anymore, she's already "too old" for radio. She should focus on quality, fresh and talented producers, something less mainstream.

I lowkey would love an album with (real) rock influences.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:35 AM, Avatar said:

Britney and Sia talked about what Britney wanted to sing about. Britney told her the story of what she was going through and Sia turned that story into Perfume and the unreleased song Cologne. This is why Britney is credited as writer. Sia should have been more clear, but I wouldnt be surprised if team Britney didnt want anyone to know.

:lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack: BRITNEY IS NOT A SONG CREDIT THIEF, though I do think some of the writing credit on BJ are questionable.

Britney technically should have writing credits for more songs, but refuses because she felt her input and changes were so minimal. 

Exactly this.  Just like so many celebs 'write' books and auto-biographies.  They don't actually write it, they sit in a room, tell their story and a professional writes it.

But unlike those celebs, Britney does actually write and is a talented writer at that.  But I believe in the case of Perfume, she worked with Sia on it and maybe added her own 2 verses if they didn't write it together.

18 hours ago, Britney2001 said:

The original concept that she worked on was great (these are the three known Dev Hynes demos):

I've never heard these before!  Those instrumentals are fire and would have been epic if Brit recorded those!!!

Archived