Sia snaps at autistic actor who questioned why no autistic people were included in her new film

48 minutes ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

I mean Brokeback Mountain was about closeted gays that aren't even gay in real life...I don't see anyone complaining about that and as long as they play their role as they should, I think it's fine. PS: I LOVE Brokeback M.

HOWEVER... her response was uncalled for. 

But brokeback mountain was one of the first mainstream LGBTQ+ movies. Its been well over 15 years since its release if I am not mistaken. no one cared because it was opening doors and starting new conversations. gay marriage had yet to be legalized on a national scale and Hollywood was overwhelmingly cis and straight. it was good, for its time (I am not talking about the acting or writing because of course that was excellent, but rather who we chose to cast to tell authentic stories) 

We need to move beyond that type of casting and welcome new faces, new talents, and new stories. 
I don’t think any of this would be an issue if autistic, gay, or BIPOC had greater opportunities in Hollywood or the global film industry in general. Sadly they aren’t, which is why I understand the frustration from the person on Twitter 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Invitation said:

this looks like a lock for Razzies. There’s a reason why this film was made years ago and only released now - because it’s bad. I don’t know about Maddie’s acting in other films, but her performance looks like a parody.

Autistic people aren’t entitled to be given a job, but how can anyone watch this trailer and still think she has done even research to make a movie about it?

Yes. Fully agree with everything you just said. 
I have nothing against Sia or Maddie (in fact I think they’re both excellent in their respective fields as a singer songwriter and dancer). No shade at all, but genuinely Maddie is making this look like a parody and I kind of understand why some people might feel uncomfortable with her portrayal if it isn’t even accurate. 
like the morale of the film is what, that autistic people can sing and dance? Then why not assist those people outside of your film LOL. This isn’t 2005 anymore where we need exposure to difference to be handed to us in a more digestible way by casting white, fully able-functioning, well known entertainers who just want to flex their acting muscles and get the woke card thrown at them. 
there isn’t necessarily a problem with actors taking on other roles, however if we keep up with that mentality we will never get to a place where we are all offered equal opportunity. We can’t keep having the same practices which ultimately result in no change. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Ok yeah, that trailer is pretty questionable. All I see is Maddie acting the same way she always does in Sia's music videos. :eyes_britney_laugh: Then again, I've only ever interacted with one person that was very obviously on the spectrum, so... :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: This feels like one of those situations where people say, "Them being autistic isn't a detriment - they are just very unique and special, and their autism is actually a gift." In theory, I don't think there's anything wrong with that if it makes an autistic person feel more included, but I wonder how actual autistic people feel when people call them unique, special, and gifted. :plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised: I think there's some truth to autistic people having a unique kind of awareness and perception since (from what I've heard) some autistic people don't understand social cues the same way regular people do, so they don't have the same inhibitions that hold regular people back. And to me that trailer almost takes this to the level of caricature, but hey, maybe I'm completely off. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

• Love 2
  • Content Curators
12 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Ok yeah, that trailer is pretty questionable. All I see is Maddie acting the same way she always does in Sia's music videos. :eyes_britney_laugh: Then again, I've only ever interacted with one person that was very obviously on the spectrum, so... :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: This feels like one of those situations where people say, "Them being autistic isn't a detriment - they are just very unique and special, and their autism is actually a gift." In theory, I don't think there's anything wrong with that if it makes an autistic person feel more included, but I wonder how actual autistic people feel when people call them unique, special, and gifted. :plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised: I think there's some truth to autistic people having a unique kind of awareness and perception since (from what I've heard) some autistic people don't understand social cues the same way regular people do, so they don't have the same inhibitions that hold regular people back. And to me that trailer almost takes this to the level of caricature, but hey, maybe I'm completely off. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

You’re right! They see the world with a different perspective, but the portrayal is so outdated. I interact with quite a lot of autistic people, and they’re nothing like that.

I just think Maddie’s performance is so off like a parody of Autistic people that they could have done better. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Invitation said:

You’re right! They see the world with a different perspective, but the portrayal is so outdated. I interact with quite a lot of autistic people, and they’re nothing like that.

I just think Maddie’s performance is so off like a parody of Autistic people that they could have done better. 

I have been working with autistic kids for over 5 years now. And I can tell you for a fact there are ones who act exactly like this in the trailer.

It's a spectrum, therefore there isn't "one" way to act. Clearly they are focusing on someone at the more disabled end of the spectrum. But there are people who are more towards the middle and don't show many autistic behaviours/mannerisms.

But to the point of the topic, to be honest, if you're making a movie, you want someone that can act. That is literally the job of an actor.

• Love 2
  • Like 3

Good for her!

So tired of this cancel and shame culture. It's getting to the point where people won't want to support any cause or help bring any issues to the forefront in fear of retaliation. These people and groups are only hurting themselves in the long run.

• Love 2
  • Like 4

I laughed, ngl, but I had no idea about the whole situation because I don't really follow her work. After seeing the trailer, I am questioning if  she even took any actual actors in consideration before giving the role to her protégé, who is not even known for acting. 

I don't know how accurate was Maddies portrayal of an authistic person, as it is a spectrum. We'll have to wait for the whole thing to be released. 

autists always feel so entitled and special... this is a frequent trait of autists. they just feel they are better have it harder and why nobody rewards them

EDIT: sorry for being categorical. it is my raw and emotional , perhapst wrong, opinion, it is just my experience. poor life experiences with autists i have known. in the future, i need to make contact with better autists than i have made so far. deal? :-)

in short i admit i am wrong. sorry for any inconvenience

4 hours ago, Godney'sSweetCheeks said:

Love her response. The world needs to be more Sia tbh. Sick of professional victims making demands. Actors act. It's not about having a certain disability it's about portraying a character who so just so happens to have that disability. Pc culture wants to ruin everything. Push people too far and the backlash ends up ruining progress. 

“PC Culture”...you nailed it!

I recently watched a reaction video to Hilary Duff’s “Dignity” album and they wouldn’t even say the name of the track “Gypsy Woman” because it was derogatory.

Like seriously?! That’s the name of the song!!!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block