Sia snaps at autistic actor who questioned why no autistic people were included in her new film

10 hours ago, QZeusLiquorQ said:

By the way i think they shouldn't think they cannot help themselves at all? Or what is your opinion on it (just curious) (i am not trying to fight, Jesus, just curious :) )

as the opposite, maybe you can share something positive about what you know about autists?

i really want to, selfishly, end this dumb way things went from me with a positive note

who knows i just might be a little fearful about autists, but you have better thoughts?

I don’t think you’re trying to fight. I wouldn’t call this fighting. But I think you’re completely oblivious to how insensitive you’re coming off. Is English your first language? I ask that respectfully. Because if it’s not I would be a lot more understanding.  

Just now, halfdressed said:

I don’t think you’re trying to fight. I wouldn’t call this fighting. But I think you’re completely oblivious to how insensitive you’re coming off. Is English your first language? I ask that respectfully. Because if it’s not I would be a lot more understanding.  

Well yeah, i don't know if it is a win or what, but yes, English is NOT my mothertongue

what about it?

i guess i need to apologize because i just have had a really bad experience with people who are either autistic or have these inclinations.

for example one of them was a total pervert. and i am really angry that i invited him to my home, if even for once or twice.

however, i really must confess to myself that not all autists are the same. i shouldn't had thought he is the allimmensive prime example of autists.

• Like 1
On 11/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, sugarspiceandnice said:

But brokeback mountain was one of the first mainstream LGBTQ+ movies. Its been well over 15 years since its release if I am not mistaken. no one cared because it was opening doors and starting new conversations. gay marriage had yet to be legalized on a national scale and Hollywood was overwhelmingly cis and straight. it was good, for its time (I am not talking about the acting or writing because of course that was excellent, but rather who we chose to cast to tell authentic stories) 

We need to move beyond that type of casting and welcome new faces, new talents, and new stories. 
I don’t think any of this would be an issue if autistic, gay, or BIPOC had greater opportunities in Hollywood or the global film industry in general. Sadly they aren’t, which is why I understand the frustration from the person on Twitter 

Imagine legitimately downvoting this because you believe that these people shouldn’t have greater opportunities lmao

didnt say anything controversial here aside from that ya, Hollywood can’t just be casting white straight ppl for every role LOL. 

You guys are dumb. 

9 hours ago, whoisit said:

if the story can’t be told with the use of a real authentic autistic actor you might not want to start filming in the first place it will always cause the wrong representation in the end and not the real deal. 

sweety what is your problem? why you don't understand the difference between a movie and a documentary?
this is so ignorant 

On 11/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Not trying to say these people are in the wrong, as I'm not autistic and don't understand the struggle (if anything, I don't think there's a right or a wrong in this situation). However, I found the profiles of some of these people to be borderline annoying:

Capture.png 

They're so quick to slap 86 labels on themselves and then wonder why people find them annoying - none of this stuff says anything about who you are as a person. Stop, you're so much more boring than you'd like to think... :notfeelinit_ny_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_meme_sunglasses_bed_mad_waiting_crossed_hands:

Yes totally agree with both your comments. And I dont like how twitter and all social media, gave people this sense of "I can say what I want to who I want and be rude" and thats exactly why we have ACTORS to play roles and represent a story, a group, a person. If the movie is sending a positive message we should be happy. Its not Sia's purpose to give work to the autistic.

1 hour ago, whoisit said:

No you are ignorant 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film

Film, also called movie, motion picture or moving picture, is a visual art-form used to simulate experiences that communicate ideas, stories, perceptions, feelings, beauty, or atmosphere through the use of moving images.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_film

A documentary film is a non-fictional motion-picture intended to "document reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction, education, or maintaining a historical record".

educate yourself ignorant :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film

Film, also called movie, motion picture or moving picture, is a visual art-form used to simulate experiences that communicate ideas, stories, perceptions, feelings, beauty, or atmosphere through the use of moving images.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_film

A documentary film is a non-fictional motion-picture intended to "document reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction, education, or maintaining a historical record".

educate yourself ignorant :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

Ok but I don’t even think the issue is that all non autistic actors were hired, obviously it would be a plus. I think it’s more so Sia dismissing this person you know? Like the movie is supposed to be about autistic people being able to sing and dance. Even if you don’t want to hire someone who is autistic to take on the role, it would be nice to know that the movie was somehow helping out autistic people off screen in some way with the same vision as Maddie’s character. I hope I’m making sense! I’m trying to approach this with empathy and non judgement because I doubt you’re a bad person, and I just want us to have an understanding of both our points. 

I agree that actors should act, I just think it would be cool to see a diversity of actors one day. Not like a serial killer playing a serial killer (lmao), but like.. idk! Like, representation on screen or simply like donations to help autistic children in the performing arts as the movie seeks to promote? Idk 

3 minutes ago, sugarspiceandnice said:

Ok but I don’t even think the issue is that all non autistic actors were hired, obviously it would be a plus. I think it’s more so Sia dismissing this person you know? Like the movie is supposed to be about autistic people being able to sing and dance. Even if you don’t want to hire someone who is autistic to take on the role, it would be nice to know that the movie was somehow helping out autistic people off screen in some way with the same vision as Maddie’s character. I hope I’m making sense! I’m trying to approach this with empathy and non judgement because I doubt you’re a bad person, and I just want us to have an understanding of both our points. 

I agree that actors should act, I just think it would be cool to see a diversity of actors one day. Not like a serial killer playing a serial killer (lmao), but like.. idk! Like, representation on screen or simply like donations to help autistic children in the performing arts as the movie seeks to promote? Idk 

I understand your point of view but hire someone just to play himself it's the worst role possible for an actor.
Autistic actors should be free to act in every role possible, don't put them in a box

On 11/21/2020 at 4:52 AM, lili_ballet said:

i have autism but i agree with what sia says, tho not necesarily how she said it

i still dont think the movie will be any good just like any movie where a characters disablity is their only personality trait

Agreed. For any disabled person- mental or physical- there is so much more to them than just THAT. 

At the very least, make characters dynamic with multiple facets other than their disability. Making a whole character whose main trait is a disability is outdated and boring. 

But I also get where Sia is coming from. Could have delivered the response different tho.

Ok yeah don't like her. I like some of her songs and her personality seemed cool, but her response was terrible and just nasty and on top of that and her not even using people who are actually disabled, but instead making a buck off of them? Wow. The money from the song and video should be donated to a good organization. She's clearly greedy.

• Like 1
On 11/21/2020 at 4:50 AM, lili_ballet said:

ok so after research tjey did audition ppl on the spectrum so the fake outrage can stop now

sias relationship w maddie is still creepy but thats a whole other debate

also the movie has reportedly links w autism speaks and therefore can burn in hell

It's super creepy. I might be the creepy one for finding it creepy, but honestly something in that dynamic seems off

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block