The First Straight Male Artist to Openly Suport the LGBTQI+ In His Music in the Balkans and Here's Why That's Big

Wow, this is so cool. The video is so creative, colorful, and unlike any other music video I've seen. I felt hypnotized. The song is kinda ominous in a good way too. All around, very unique, and great to see the creative perspective of other parts of the world.

The fact that it's also supporting the LGTBQ+ community just makes it even better.

Thank you for sharing! Featured!

• Love 2
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, Urbanney said:

Wow, this is so cool. The video is so creative, colorful, and unlike any other music video I've seen. I felt hypnotized. The song is kinda ominous in a good way too. All around, very unique, and great to see the creative perspective of other parts of the world.

The fact that it's also supporting the LGTBQ+ community just makes it even better.

Thank you for sharing! Featured!

Oh wow thank you so much for featuring this :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:it means a lot to me! I hope a lot of Exhale folks see this and feel inspired the way I was :yay_britney_excited_ftr_for_the_record_2008_cheering_clapping: I am very happy you liked it!

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, myonlywish said:

That was refreshing to watch, thank you for sharing. I feel like music outside of North America is very progressive, but this must be monumental in Western Europe. I hope this song opens more inclusivity with straight men's music around the world.

GilbertBaker2.gif

It definitely is. Europeans have their way around music that's very original :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm: In case you're interested in more great music from where I'm from, lemme know. I have tons of awesome songs to send :yay_britney_excited_ftr_for_the_record_2008_cheering_clapping:

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
29 minutes ago, setib47631 said:

The song is actually really cute, the hair scenes are amazing. Am I the only one who spotted the Madonna / Love Profusion ref ?

The men are handsome. :OMGney_britney_surprised_no_way_shocked_wide_eyes:

I had *** with the guy at 3:17 :straddle_britney_pink_yoga_meditation_bounce_legs_spread_gym: No joke, he's from Belgrade like me :riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand:

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, BUWYGF said:

Balkan Penninsula is the region in South-Eastern Europe which generally runs late after the Western Europe (economically, traditionally etc.) and naturally, LGBTQI+ rights, although very good, are still not subpar with those in the Western part of Europe. Moreover, LGBTQI+ community is still not represented nearly enough in the music and movies. 

However, this is changing. One of the biggest artists in the area, Dino Merlin, who is a straight white male, has openly given his support to the LGBTQI+ community in his new song "Mi" which translates to "Us." The music video speaks for itself, however it is the lyrics that strike very hard, here's a part of it translated: 

"We are the wine that you mustn't drink, we're the secret that you mustn't tell, we're the song you mustn't sing whenever your soul is hesitating. We are the love you cannot hide, we are the colors that always disagree, the brothers that argue till the end, but love one another to the sky and back."

Basically, the verse is repeated in the haunting female voice and the whole text is ridiculing the overall traditional opinion of *******uals in the area. Thank you Dino, for recognizing us for the first time ever :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad: This will bring a lot of change in the near future :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

Screenshot20-4-1024x531-1.jpg

LGBTI Rights good at the balkans? Where? All gay people I know my age have either left their country (me included) or are planning to, partially because of money, but also partially bcz they can't live openly (the serbians being one of the more aggressive nations on the balkans)

• Super Mods
37 minutes ago, CloseMyEyes1457 said:

LGBTI Rights good at the balkans? Where? All gay people I know my age have either left their country (me included) or are planning to, partially because of money, but also partially bcz they can't live openly (the serbians being one of the more aggressive nations on the balkans)

It's usually gays that leave these countries that complain the most. The situation is not nearly as bad as you present it to be. Montenegro legalized partnerships this year, Serbia is doing it this summer. Serbia is definitely not the most aggressive nation, Belgrade and Novi Sad are extremely gay liberal, I openly held hands with my bf in Belgrade last year. Moreover, Belgrade will be the gay capital of Europe in 2022. Balkans are not as nearly as discriminatory as most gays who left think so, and this comes from a guy who is half Dutch and half Serb, and can leave at any point because I was born with Dutch citizenship lol. Maybe you come from rural small towns? Those tend to be horrible when it comes to gays

• Super Mods
17 minutes ago, Nate Archibald said:

I absolutely loved the song and music video. It really is a big deal that one of the greatest Balkan  musicians supports the LGBTQI+ community.

I am from North Macedonia and he is  adored  here. 

Yess tbh :crying4_britney_crying_stages_tears_sad:Thank you daddy Dino for supporting us like a true King you are :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, BUWYGF said:

It's usually gays that leave these countries that complain the most. The situation is not nearly as bad as you present it to be. Montenegro legalized partnerships this year, Serbia is doing it this summer. Serbia is definitely not the most aggressive nation, Belgrade and Novi Sad are extremely gay liberal, I openly held hands with my bf in Belgrade last year. Moreover, Belgrade will be the gay capital of Europe in 2022. Balkans are not as nearly as discriminatory as most gays who left think so, and this comes from a guy who is half Dutch and half Serb, and can leave at any point because I was born with Dutch citizenship lol. Maybe you come from rural small towns? Those tend to be horrible when it comes to gays

I didn't leave my country up until last year and I came from the capital. Sure, there are/were gay echo chambers (and their allies) - but the overall consensus is hardly positive (overwhelmingly negative).

I guess I cannot claim things for Belgrade, since I'm not from Serbia, but you putting all gays leaving their country in a basket of whiny people that want to complain is super ****ed up and inaccurate. We felt and we lived through discrimination and hatred before we left it, otherwise I would be more than happy to say that I come from a loving place. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block