Rosalía dragged for calling herself a Latin artist

1 hour ago, Elvira_fr said:

As a fellow user has already explained, Latin means that comes from a Latin speaking country: France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Romania. She is not latin american, she is latin. That is not a mistake. Why the hate? 

It is not cultural apropiation, she is making spanish music (Flamenco) with urban influences. JLO and Ricky martin used Flamenco in their songs and nobody complaint.

Edit: Sorry the complete list of Latin countries are: Italy, France, Moldova, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Monaco, San Marino, Andorra, and the Vatican City.

''JLO and Ricky martin used Flamenco in their songs and nobody complaint''

the reason why they did it ,its because puertoricans(Ricky Martin is puertorican and Jennifer is from New York but she is a descendant of puertoricans),are a '''Free Associated State of United States of America'' they simply share the idea with America that Spain and latinamerica are the same thing.So latinamerica is tired to tell them that ''Spain is an European country and that  flamenco is from Spain'' ''not everybody in latinamerica speaks spanish'' and so on.

And ''Latinamerica'' is a term that needs to be changed. 

2 hours ago, jukaperci said:

She is European. Not Latin.

Spain is curious ... many people call Spaniards Latin but they literally live attached to France ... so, the French are also Latin?

Yes they are. Americans gave the word Latino their own meaning to refer to Latin Americans, but Latin Europe exists. It takes 2 minutes to google what Latin and Roman societies are.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

This is always so overly complicated when it shouldn’t be... Im Spanish/Italian with other things mixed in as well, including Native American, I’m constantly placed in a box of being Hispanic or Latin, have used both but lean towards Latin lately (unpopular opinion, I don’t mind the term Latinx (pronounced Latin-ecks), I think it’s more blanketed for people like me 🤷‍♂️)

but then you fill out government paperwork or things for a job, and Have to put “white” for race because the options are so limited and then they follow up with ethnicity (Hispanic/latin)... why does it have to be so confusing? Ugh. She should be allowed to participate in the Latin Grammys... 

• Like 2

As a "Latino" I really don't care tbh

Music from Spain has always been consumed here in Latin America, as we consume music from artists that are Mexican, Colombian, Argentinian, etc. I think many artists that come from Spain are actually more popular in here than they are in their country, such as La Quinta Estación or Mónica Naranjo. I don't even know a song by Rosalía lol but if we never complained about Enrique Iglesias, Alejandro Sanz, Miguel Bosé and the likes for being nominated at the Latin Grammy's, why start with her now?

I don't know how European awards (if they exist) manage their categories, having so many languages, but here in America it's always been mostly about English or non-English music, and that includes Spain. It could include French or whatever, but French music isn't that consumed in here.

The now extinct Latin VMA's used to nominate even English speaking artists in some categories, and again, no one complained, because we consume all that kind of music.

If any, the only issue I see here is the US not consuming music in other languages, or if they do, cataloguing it on a different basket. Here we would have on our main tops both a Britney song and a Paulina Rubio song, but you would never see Paulina Rubio on TRL despite how popular she was in the early 2000's, because they just don't consume "Latin" music. Not that they're obliged to do so, but I say it mostly because the US has slept on a lot of awesome music from all around the world over the years, due to their lack of openness to other languages, and they're only doing it now with one of the worst genres, urban music. But anyway, that's another topic :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, algebus said:

As a Spaniard myself, I'm sure she got confused and meant to say Hispanic. Because we speak SPANISH and we have that in common.... among other small things like,... well... we conquered America. 

We, Spaniards are white Europeans, and proud of it.

All Latin people whining about this make me laugh. Chill the **** out and enjoy her music.

She is not confused. It's how some people in Spain see themselves.

Yeah Spain conquered america and gave us the lenguage but many LATIN countries fought for their freedom and the only thing is common now it's the lenguage not anything else.

Rosalia is EUROPEAN not LATIN.

21 minutes ago, xzede25 said:

She is not confused. It's how some people in Spain see themselves.

Yeah Spain conquered america and gave us the lenguage but many LATIN countries fought for their freedom and the only thing is common now it's the lenguage not anything else.

Rosalia is EUROPEAN not LATIN.

Let me just add, even after freedom most latin american countries kept being Catholic (more than in spain nowadays) so it is much more than just the language.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Reading all the comments made me realise...in the European Union the administration "classifies" people according to nationality and religion/no religion but ethnicity is never brought up. In the news, if something happens they will say "male, spanish nationality" or "female, italian nationality", they will never say "white male".  Basically because, well, WW II and all that happened back then...

14 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Singer Rosalía, from Spain, called herself Latin in a video she made for Billboard in a segment called "Growing up Latino." 

It started a keyboard war about whether Spanish people should be considered / are latino. 

There's an article on The Washington Post about this titled Does Rosalía’s music belong at the Latin Grammys? It’s complicated.

I don't feel like it's my place to comment on. Is the outrage justified? Exhale, thoughts? 

rosalia.jpg.5f2d5d2096faa05625c125e530903f8f.jpg

Spain, Portugal, France, Italy or Romania are latin countries from Europe. They are the roots from latin culture, especially Spain for Latin America. Spain shares the language and so many other things with the latin culture of South America. 

By the way, so many spanish artist were nominated and awarded at the latin Grammys the same way Spain nominated and awarded so many latin american artist in several and important award ceremonies. We share the language, we share the culture and we share the music. Spanish are not latin american but they belong to the latin culture as so many other countries from both sides of the ocean. This is not new, so, where's the point??? I don't understand the hate, why some people is not capable to appreciate the love? 

Rosalia belongs to the latin culture; the same way Alejandro Sanz, Mónica Naranjo, Natalia Jiménez, Enrique Iglesias or Miguel Bosé. Why is the hate when some people where so happy to say Christina Aguilera or Selena Gomez are "latinas" when they make english pop and they can't even talk in spanish. C'mon...cmon son GIF

• Love 4
  • Like 1

I'm latino myself and I can see how it might generate anger for some people someone like her calling herself a latina. It's not just a matter of the language, but the struggles that a lot of people from those "third world countries", like people from USA and Europe in general like to call, have to deal with and everything, and how it can be hard for people to break this, to have someone like her to feel entitle to say that and only claim that because being latino might be popular now. :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

I don't even know Rosalia, and I'm not that bothered with all of this, but I can see why people are reacting like that.

People need to find better things to worry about, but in response to the OP, no, she's not Latin. Spain is a European country. I mean Canada has it figured out, you have French Canadians but they would never identify as strictly French just because they speak the language.

• Like 2

Es muy fácil confundir conceptos cuando la educación o las ganas son insuficientes. 

¿Qué significa ser latino?
Latino es un adjetivo que proviene del vocablo latinus y que se refiere a aquél o aquello que es natural de los pueblos que hablan lenguas derivadas del latín. El concepto tiene diversas aceptaciones y suele prestarse a confusión. En el lenguaje coloquial, latino se asocia a latinoamericano.

Releer esta parte:

El concepto tiene diversas aceptaciones y suele prestarse a confusión. En el lenguaje coloquial, latino se asocia a latinoamericano.

No les queda claro? Busquen ahora el significado de: "En el lenguaje coloquial" y "se asocia"

Si siguen teniendo dudas les recomiendo volver a estudiar. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, 2K16NEY said:

She’s from Spain which makes her European and not from Latin America. They should really call it the Spanish Music Awards.

y en la región de españa se hablan varios idiomas que de los 4 que hay, 3 provienen del Latin, por lo que la señora Rosalia es latina ya que habla español o castellano que son lenguas que provienen del latin, como el Frances, el italiano, catalán, gallego, portugues y algunos que debo dejarme... y que yo sepa los premios se llaman los Grammy Latinos... no los Grammys de la Sudamérica latina. Thanks

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Style. said:

Not Americans getting brave like that when y’all have the poorest history origins. But let’s blame Columbus for that. :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

I don’t listen to’ Rosalia music, but she is right. She is a Latin artist. :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

She is not a Latin artist, she is a Spanish artist who shamelessly occupies cultural appropriation. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:
 It is very ignorant to say that Rosalía is Latina just because she sings reggaeton. It is as if a person from the UK said that they are an American artist just because they sing American pop or trap. :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:
 Rosalía bothers me a lot. First, because he used real fur in some photos, and second, because he does not show real respect for Latin American culture. To say "I was not born in Latin America but I still consider myself because I have read many books" ... just ridiculous.
 She is just a woman run by her label that plays trendy music, if K-pop were bigger than reggaeton, I assure you that Rosalía would have a very different career. :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:
 And yes, I am Rosalía's enemy, don't ask me why, but I don't like her image or music.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

she is a Spanish artist who shamelessly occupies cultural appropriation.

Who and how blatantly occupies cultural appropriation? The culture of flamenco? of gypsy culture? What culture does Rosalía appropriate?.

This has been written by a journalist? A journalist from The Washington Post? Seriously? The ignorance of the United States is very worrying!.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blackout2006 said:

Why do you have to make EVERYTHING political :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

It’s a politics attack on a Spanish artist who identifies as being Latina.  And along comes an outsider to get clout and split hairs to virtue signal to all her fake woke liberal friends and take down one of ours for not playing into their “Latinx” Social justice word games.  The fact that she uses “Latinx” is a dog whistle and shows what her agenda is. This Rebranding of Spanish language conventions is invented by white liberal propagandists trying to disgender the Spanish language. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

She is not a Latin artist, she is a Spanish artist who shamelessly occupies cultural appropriation. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:
 It is very ignorant to say that Rosalía is Latina just because she sings reggaeton. It is as if a person from the UK said that they are an American artist just because they sing American pop or trap. :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:
 Rosalía bothers me a lot. First, because he used real fur in some photos, and second, because he does not show real respect for Latin American culture. To say "I was not born in Latin America but I still consider myself because I have read many books" ... just ridiculous.
 She is just a woman run by her label that plays trendy music, if K-pop were bigger than reggaeton, I assure you that Rosalía would have a very different career. :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:
 And yes, I am Rosalía's enemy, don't ask me why, but I don't like her image or music.

:surejan:

Jealousy seems to be the clearest answer.

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block