Rosalía dragged for calling herself a Latin artist

3 hours ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

She is not a Latin artist, she is a Spanish artist who shamelessly occupies cultural appropriation. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:
 It is very ignorant to say that Rosalía is Latina just because she sings reggaeton. It is as if a person from the UK said that they are an American artist just because they sing American pop or trap. :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:
 Rosalía bothers me a lot. First, because he used real fur in some photos, and second, because he does not show real respect for Latin American culture. To say "I was not born in Latin America but I still consider myself because I have read many books" ... just ridiculous.
 She is just a woman run by her label that plays trendy music, if K-pop were bigger than reggaeton, I assure you that Rosalía would have a very different career. :umok_pursed_squint_well_okay:
 And yes, I am Rosalía's enemy, don't ask me why, but I don't like her image or music.

The hypocrisy jumped. Bich, we stan Britney Spears who is one of the most fabricated pop artist of all time. She is where she is now because she was run by her label. From the start to finish. It is what it is, but don’t get brave like that.

As a Latin person myself, Rosalia isn’t wrong at all. Today Latin people are those whose languages are derived from Latin; Romanians, Italians, French, Spanish, Portuguese. 

• Love 3

This is ridiculous on so many levels :makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao::makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao::makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao:

I can see where Latin Americans are coming from. Even before getting colonized, you've had your own culture that's been beautifully flourishing ever since. You cherish and appreciate it, the entire world acknowledges, cherishes and appreciates it, nobody's trying to take that away from you. I'm under the impression that's what you associate the word "Latin" with, but if that's the case... friends of mine :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts: you should've picked a different word. :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts::madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts::madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts:

Being Latin is not even primarily about languages, it's first and foremost about origins. Italians, Romanians, Portuguese, Spanish, French, they're all descendants of the Romans. It's an indisputable fact that Rome conquered various territories inhabited by culturally different people and that marked the beginning of a prolonged process of Romanisation (also named LATINISATION) as a result of with the aforementioned nations were birthed. Also, this is precisely how the Romance came into existence. It's beyond disrespectful to deny Rosalía her Latin heritage when it's basically a primordial element in the genesis of her nation. As far as I'm concerned, Latin America got its name specifically because it got colonized by the Spanish & Portuguese. If we're being completely honest, Latin Europe is the purest in Latinity, whereas Latin America is only Latin by extension (let me point out that I'm not trying to belittle Latin America with this statement, I don't want to come across the wrong way, they're both different spaces with different backgrounds, even though there are ties binding them). Had the Chinese got to you first, you'd be calling yourself Asian America or something so take several seats. :chershade_red_wig_oh_hair_hmm:

I mean, to put it into perspective, as a Romanian, when I say I am Latin I'm not claiming Latin America culture, I'm simply thinking of the blood that is running through my veins. The Romans, as well as the Dacians equally, are my parents, this is where I come from. The language that I'm speaking is the child of a union, that of Dacian language and Vulgar Latin. The ground I'm walking on is an everlasting precious witness of how my people crystallized, the same ground Traianus and his troops set foot on aeons ago in order to subdue its inhabitants. The same soil soaked in the blood of my ancestors, because Traian did succeed but not without facing resistance. I can close my eyes and visualize... Long ago the seeds have been planted and now here are my roots. It is what it is, I am Latin through and through and nobody can tell me otherwise. :alook_meme_down_up_look_see::alook_meme_down_up_look_see::alook_meme_down_up_look_see:

• Love 6
1 hour ago, corpsetranger said:

This is ridiculous on so many levels :makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao::makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao::makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao:

I can see where Latin Americans are coming from. Even before getting colonized, you've had your own culture that's been beautifully flourishing ever since. You cherish and appreciate it, the entire world acknowledges, cherishes and appreciates it, nobody's trying to take that away from you. I'm under the impression that's what you associate the word "Latin" with, but if that's the case... friends of mine :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts: you should've picked a different word. :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts::madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts::madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts:

Being Latin is not even primarily about languages, it's first and foremost about origins. Italians, Romanians, Portuguese, Spanish, French, they're all descendants of the Romans. It's an indisputable fact that Rome conquered various territories inhabited by culturally different people and that marked the beginning of a prolonged process of Romanisation (also named LATINISATION) as a result of with the aforementioned nations were birthed. Also, this is precisely how the Romance came into existence. It's beyond disrespectful to deny Rosalía her Latin heritage when it's basically a primordial element in the genesis of her nation. As far as I'm concerned, Latin America got its name specifically because it got colonized by the Spanish & Portuguese. If we're being completely honest, Latin Europe is the purest in Latinity, whereas Latin America is only Latin by extension (let me point out that I'm not trying to belittle Latin America with this statement, I don't want to come across the wrong way, they're both different spaces with different backgrounds, even though there are ties binding them). Had the Chinese got to you first, you'd be calling yourself Asian America or something so take several seats. :chershade_red_wig_oh_hair_hmm:

I mean, to put it into perspective, as a Romanian, when I say I am Latin I'm not claiming Latin America culture, I'm simply thinking of the blood that is running through my veins. The Romans, as well as the Dacians equally, are my parents, this is where I come from. The language that I'm speaking is the child of a union, that of Dacian language and Vulgar Latin. The ground I'm walking on is an everlasting precious witness of how my people crystallized, the same ground Traianus and his troops set foot on aeons ago in order to subdue its inhabitants. The same soil soaked in the blood of my ancestors, because Traian did succeed but not without facing resistance. I can close my eyes and visualize... Long ago the seeds have been planted and now here are my roots. It is what it is, I am Latin through and through and nobody can tell me otherwise. :alook_meme_down_up_look_see::alook_meme_down_up_look_see::alook_meme_down_up_look_see:

Haha, my fellow Romanian! You explained it so beautifully. 💕

• Love 1
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, LLuvia said:

Who and how blatantly occupies cultural appropriation? The culture of flamenco? of gypsy culture? What culture does Rosalía appropriate?.

This has been written by a journalist? A journalist from The Washington Post? Seriously? The ignorance of the United States is very worrying!.

I don't know very well about Rosalía's career, I only know that she stuck in a Latin phase to which she does not belong.
She should be more humble and accept that she is not Latina, but thank her fans who support her despite everything.

ps: i'm from chile

5 hours ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

:surejan:

Jealousy seems to be the clearest answer.

:umok_pursed_squint_well_okay: you discovered me darling.

6 minutes ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

ps: i'm from chile

When I referred to the fact that the United States is an ignorant country, I was not referring to you individually, I was referring to that person who published that report and is a journalist.
She fuses flamenco and its variants with trap.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Style. said:

The hypocrisy jumped. Bich, we stan Britney Spears who is one of the most fabricated pop artist of all time. She is where she is now because she was run by her label. From the start to finish. It is what it is, but don’t get brave like that.

As a Latin person myself, Rosalia isn’t wrong at all. Today Latin people are those whose languages are derived from Latin; Romanians, Italians, French, Spanish, Portuguese. 

:mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:

First of all, Britney is a made-up artist because she was never allowed to explore her artistic side. With that team and mob that surround her, anyone would be a very unliked artist. In addition, she works based on purchased songs and an image, although renewed, is still very recognizable at the beginning, like basically ALL POP ARTISTS. Clearly Rosalia and Britney are unmatched, because if we're talking about hypocrisy, then we should put all the pre-made pop stars in the bag ...

second, language has many meanings and synonyms.
 There is Latin, which is the legendary dead language, and there is the LATINOamericano continent, because that is how it is really said, LATINO, only that it is translated worldwide as Latin because English is the universal language. And although the Latin culture is pronounced the same as the language, the universal language is constantly mutating and adapting. We have to update ourselves to correctly conjugate the verbs of the words. :nyschool_new_york_miss_tiffany_pollard_preaching_telling_talking_hand:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block