UNPOPULAR OPINION: When we all fall asleep, where do we go? was a much better debut than Baby one more time

• 11 months later...

I just love Baby One More Time. I’ve been surprised to find that I revisit it more frequently than Oops. I think it’s one of the greatest and most influential teen pop albums that still holds up today. It’s got some of the most memorable melodies of 90s pop, it’s sonically cohesive (and avoids the extra dated sounds/production of 90s house music - I love Deep in My Heart, but I’m glad it was just a bonus track, at least in the US), and her voice is strong and impressively diverse throughout. The lyrics are corny, but consistent with what you might expect from a 15 year old (Brit’s age at the time of recording).

I think there’s this unfair expectation that more mature sounding is automatically better. I think we’ll continue to look to Baby One More Time as an achievement in bubblegum pop.

I also love Billy’s debut, but it’s too early to know if it’s going to have the legacy or longevity of BOMT.

Just my thoughts :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

• Like 1

I agree, Billie's debut is much greater in quality.

Edit : I read the whole thread and people here really think Billie will be forgotten lmao get a grip Y'all this is what people said about Britney too anyway moving on Billie's bad guy is even heard by 40 year olds here it was that huge Bomt was suited for the time it came and I love the album but let's not deny what Billie did before even turning 18 WDWGWWFA will be classed as an classic album for this generation. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

It all comes down to ones personal taste.

BOMT was recorded long before Britney even released her first single and was done on a budget. She may have been a puppet, but she didn't do anything she didn't like.

Billie was guided by her brother and let's not pretend that she wasn't a puppet, she's a product of her generation, just like Avril was a product of her generation - whatever the label needs to sell and fill a void in public demand for "alternative" pop singers.

The topic is basically telling us what we been hearing since 1999, "listening to Britney is lousy and gay", while in reality, Britney impacted a whole generation of artists, Billie included. Because even if someone who debuted in 2000 was either trying to be like her or be the opposite (still playing by what Britney did).

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
On 2/4/2022 at 1:34 AM, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

THIS THREAaaddddSHSHSSJ :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

@Blackout2006 your exhale peak :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas: WE NEED A COMEBACK :didilie_nicki_lmao_laugh_haha_lol_hehe_cackle_minaj_hat:

KJSJSAK Why does this thread KEEP on reviving? :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: But this was a great time to see DUMBhale seethe :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle: 

On 2/4/2022 at 2:04 AM, Almost Mystical said:

Since we are doing this, I think Oasis debut album is way better than Billie Eillish. Their sound is more coherent and lyrically more interesting.

Don't think "Bad Guy" is as good as this song:

Omg, I need Billie to do a sound like this :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad:

On 2/4/2022 at 4:40 AM, Lisa88007 said:

And Billie was just doing what her brother wanted her to do…

As much as I don't agree with what the person you quoted said, it doesn't make sense to say this either. They are a literal duo and he doesn't make songs as an obligation for her to work on. They both work on it, and if she likes the sound, she will continue on that direction. What's hard for people to understand in this? :orangu_orangutan_ape:

On 2/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, Ryan Robles said:

How about take a test on handling different opinions? :awww_sarcastic_pout_britney_2006ney_idc_poor:

On 2/4/2022 at 11:39 AM, NoGlorySlander said:

I agree, Billie's debut is much greater in quality.

Edit : I read the whole thread and people here really think Billie will be forgotten lmao get a grip Y'all this is what people said about Britney too anyway moving on Billie's bad guy is even heard by 40 year olds here it was that huge Bomt was suited for the time it came and I love the album but let's not deny what Billie did before even turning 18 WDWGWWFA will be classed as an classic album for this generation. 

Exactlyyyy! :orangu_orangutan_ape: It is all deja vu with a teenage female artist blowing up, and being dismissed by the usual suspects. I can't believe young female artist are still facing the same things, Britney and other such artists had to go through back in 1999 :deadbanana_pbj_peanut_butter_jelly_time_yellow:

22 hours ago, Kartofelek said:

It all comes down to ones personal taste.

BOMT was recorded long before Britney even released her first single and was done on a budget. She may have been a puppet, but she didn't do anything she didn't like.

Billie was guided by her brother and let's not pretend that she wasn't a puppet, she's a product of her generation, just like Avril was a product of her generation - whatever the label needs to sell and fill a void in public demand for "alternative" pop singers.

The topic is basically telling us what we been hearing since 1999, "listening to Britney is lousy and gay", while in reality, Britney impacted a whole generation of artists, Billie included. Because even if someone who debuted in 2000 was either trying to be like her or be the opposite (still playing by what Britney did).

Not the "puppet" thing, again. I never said Britney was a puppet, either. Neither of them are, because you all keep forgetting that Billie & Finneas are literally duos and that is how duo works. Like said before, he doesn't create songs and tell her to record it. He works on it and if Billie likes it, they both pursue on that direction.

But yes, in the end, it all boils down to one's personal opinion.