During the localization of the first Pokémon games released in America (1998), translator Nob Ogasawara had nicknamed a Spearow "Britney". Nintendo changed it to "Speary"

That's dumb, though. They can directly reference "Call Me Maybe" in Pokémon Dungeon, and countless memes like "your power level is over 9000!" in X and Y, and even name the Psychic Gym Leader Sabrina after Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, but they can't name the Spearow "Britney"? :zoomzoom: And yet they can use "Soda Pop" for the Mewtwo movie? RUDE. :lessons: 

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

That's dumb, though. They can directly reference "Call Me Maybe" in Pokémon Dungeon, and countless memes like "your power level is over 9000!" in X and Y, and even name the Psychic Gym Leader Sabrina after Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, but they can't name the Spearow "Britney"? And yet they can use "Soda Pop" for the Mewtwo movie? RUDE. 

You're a Pokemon Master too. :omggg:

23 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

That's dumb, though. They can directly reference "Call Me Maybe" in Pokémon Dungeon, and countless memes like "your power level is over 9000!" in X and Y, and even name the Psychic Gym Leader Sabrina after Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, but they can't name the Spearow "Britney"? :zoomzoom: And yet they can use "Soda Pop" for the Mewtwo movie? RUDE. :lessons: 

these were the first games, so maybe they were more apprehensive when it came to this kind of things.

They didn't even want the Pokémon names to be translated from Japanese to other languages. And as they explained later in the video, French and German localizations had more freedom than the English version. Spanish and Italian localization process was a mess, that resulted in many dialogs and moves wrongly translated, and staying like that forever.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

You talking about Soda Pop made me remember that Britney could've sung this bop

https://youtu.be/4-w2rz873Zk

9 hours ago, AmorProhibido said:

This is so interesting :OMGney: I know this makes me basic, but Red and Blue will always be my favorite. Sometimes I wish I hadn't moved my Mew, Gyarados, and Pikachu I refused to evolve because he was hella cute to the other games. :kyliecry: Ultimately I don't really regret it because I enjoyed having them as I went from game to game, but going back to my copy of Red was never the same. :tear:

Edit: I forgot Crystal was a thing. I really liked Crystal, maybe more than Red. :mhm:

I had red first, Back then I was Like 6/7 yo

then I had yellow, then silver, then cristal then ruby and then I discovered emulators and played them all :)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Roxxy said:

You're a Pokemon Master too. :omggg:

I've played ever main game since the beginning. :imcute: Still haven't played some of the side games, but that's because I don't own every console to ever exist.

10 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

these were the first games, so maybe they were more apprehensive when it came to this kind of things.

They didn't even want the Pokémon names to be translated from Japanese to other languages. And as they explained later in the video, French and German localizations had more freedom than the English version. Spanish and Italian localization process was a mess, that resulted in many dialogs and moves wrongly translated, and staying like that forever.

Still, it's rude. I mean, the Lass from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is LITERALLY Britney in the BOMT outfit, just recolored. :lessons: 

ORAS_Lass.png

10 hours ago, Applejack said:

You talking about Soda Pop made me remember that Britney could've sung this bop

https://youtu.be/4-w2rz873Zk

:huh:

• Love 1
  • Like 1