How will Britney's Vevo page be treated in terms of Remastering Her Music videos

forefortifive

It's nearly been a year since YouTube announced that it will remaster Music Videos.

Now, I'n sure most if not all her old Music Videos wete shot on 35mm film so 4k is possible (all the rest are shot on HD video cameras).

Though, CG elements are still a question mark

Anyways, From a quick glance on other artists's remastering music videos, here was how they were treated.

a. Maroon 5

have ALL the music videos be just Upscales from 480p even for Music Videos which already have HD masters existing

b. Cranberries/Bon Jovi/ Spice Girls

-Have one of the videos be an actual rescan of thr film, resulting to a gorgeous remaster

(See Zombie, Living on a Prayer, Say You'll be There, Last Christmas)

and others be just lame Upscalea from 480p

c. Beatles

Rescan all the film of the Music Videos as possible, and pump out as many actual remasters as possible

How do you think will Britney's videos be handled?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will not remaster them, for now at least.

But I noticed they just used the original masters video without compression like they did on the old 480p videos, because when we see Poker Face/Bad Romance or The Black Eyed Peas remastered videos, it doesn't looks real 1080p upscale or remaster, but just uncompressed 480p/576p idk... It's strange.

Even if Britney’s label updates her videography in HD, I believe it will be low quality upscales from the current ones.

most of the vevo videos update are upscales with very dissapoiting quality.

I would die for rca to get to contact @MSTARto use his maters, that’s the best possible scenario from my point of view. 

2 hours ago, YoungOne said:

Even if Britney’s label updates her videography in HD, I believe it will be low quality upscales from the current ones.

most of the vevo videos update are upscales with very dissapoiting quality.

I would die for rca to get to contact @MSTARto use his maters, that’s the best possible scenario from my point of view. 

Thank you! :blol::makeitrain:

18 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

The treatment they'll get is that they won't be remastered at all. At least it hasn't been announced.

This project about remastering videos was a partnership between YouTube and Universal Music Group. As far as I know, Britney's label, RCA, belongs to Sony 

That's not 100% correct. While UMG has done the majority of the remastered videos, Sony and other labels have replaced some music videos with HD versions. For example *NSYNC's "It's Gonna Be Me" (Licencesed to SME (on behalf of JIVE)). Hopefully Britney's team will do so sometime this decade as the current 480p versions look terrible. 

Other examples (Not UMG)

22 hours ago, aspireone said:

c. Beatles

Rescan all the film of the Music Videos as possible, and pump out as many actual remasters as possible

Hopefully they will follow through with option C. It will be a massive task to undertake and be more expensive, but doing it this way allows for the best quality remaster possible. Britney's entire videography is worthy of this and ensures her imagery can be enjoyed for generations in the higest possible quality. If they do option A and just upscale SD/720p source material, I'd rather them keep the current versions until they can remaster properly. 

32 minutes ago, GODNEYSPEARS99 said:

That's not 100% correct. While UMG has done the majority of the remastered videos, Sony and other labels have replaced some music videos with HD versions. For example *NSYNC's "It's Gonna Be Me" (Licencesed to SME (on behalf of JIVE)). Hopefully Britney's team will do so sometime this decade as the current 480p versions look terrible. 

Other examples (Not UMG)

Hopefully they will follow through with option C. It will be a massive task to undertake and be more expensive, but doing it this way allows for the best quality remaster possible. Britney's entire videography is worthy of this and ensures her imagery can be enjoyed for generations in the higest possible quality. If they do option A and just upscale SD/720p source material, I'd rather them keep the current versions until they can remaster properly. 

It depends, but I don't see her team remastering by rescanning the films. However, they would rather do a bad upscale in 1080p which looks like an uncompressed 480p master with a little of sharpen like they did with Lady Gaga or Black Eyed Peas. :ehum:

I mean, they will not be a great upscale/remaster than what we have with AI Upscales which are far better.

1 hour ago, GODNEYSPEARS99 said:

Other examples (Not UMG)

Yeah, but those were like exceptions. What I mean is, as of today, they haven't announced any intentions of actually remastering all of the videos from Sony. 

For example, N Sync's videos that aren't from that album, are still on 480p and there's no plans, so far, to remaster or upscale the rest. 

The OP mentioned:

23 hours ago, aspireone said:

It's nearly been a year since YouTube announced that it will remaster Music Videos.

That announcement in particular, as a I said, was the partnership with UMG, and they promised that most of their videos would be on HD before the end of 2020. But it doesn't matter if it was a year ago, or two, or ten, that project never included Britney Spears' videos. 

So yeah, we might get them someday, just like we might get the Darkchild Remix someday too, but neither her team nor her label have announced any plans yet, so as of today, there's no reason for us to expect those remasters. 

16 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yeah, but those were like exceptions. What I mean is, as of today, they haven't announced any intentions of actually remastering all of the videos from Sony. 

For example, N Sync's videos that aren't from that album, are still on 480p and there's no plans, so far, to remaster or upscale the rest. 

The OP mentioned:

That announcement in particular, as a I said, was the partnership with UMG, and they promised that most of their videos would be on HD before the end of 2020. But it doesn't matter if it was a year ago, or two, or ten, that project never included Britney Spears' videos. 

So yeah, we might get them someday, just like we might get the Darkchild Remix someday too, but neither her team nor her label have announced any plans yet, so as of today, there's no reason for us to expect those remasters. 

Exactly, and I think they will never post on VEVO the Dark Child Remix, it's too old because it makes so much confusion just like did Do Somethin', many believed it was a new music video of Britney. After why not, better late than never.

Anyway, I'm not personally excited for the remasters, they will look 480p mastered with a 1080p resolution which is a fake 1080p remaster or bad 1080p upscales.

this is a collab with britney's team (larry) and RCA, mostly RCA i guess

and since both is bad i doubt we'll ever have a good quality, maximum upscale version and that will take long... cause they lost the opportunity to do it on the 20th bday of Baby and Oops. they suck!

britney would be way more popular (more views) with some pop fans of this generation if her videos were mastered, i get this feeling, cause her videography is pretty cool.

sometimes i feel embarassed to share britney videos with that ****ty quality, i always go to alternate accounts on youtube with better quality. she's too relevant to have her material/career poorly treated like that.

5 minutes ago, MSTAR said:

Exactly, and I think they will never post on VEVO the Dark Child Remix, too old because it makes so much confusion just like did Do Somethin', many believed it was a new music video of Britney. After why not, better late than never.

Anyway, I'm not personally excited for the remasters, they will look 480p mastered with a 1080p resolution which is a fake 1080p remaster or bad 1080p upscales.

I think they will... I mean Me Against The Music, Someday and Do Somethin were uploaded years after the first VEVO videos

I don't see they care if that gets confusion or so, simple they just doesn't care right now to do it because scan a new video it's spend money and RCA doesn't like spend money.

Also, I think the only way to get actual scans from the original master is with 4K remastered videos like the George Michael, Whitney Houston or Dead or Alive's ones, clearly both Universal and Sony do awful HD remastered videos

25 minutes ago, CripplerCrossface said:

I think they will... I mean Me Against The Music, Someday and Do Somethin were uploaded years after the first VEVO videos

I don't see they care if that gets confusion or so, simple they just doesn't care right now to do it because scan a new video it's spend money and RCA doesn't like spend money.

Also, I think the only way to get actual scans from the original master is with 4K remastered videos like the George Michael, Whitney Houston or Dead or Alive's ones, clearly both Universal and Sony do awful HD remastered videos

Yeah I know they did it years after, but I doubt for the Dark Child Remix essentially to be honnest. Anyway, if they want to post the Dark Child Remix, they will probally just take the digital master or DVD version, I don't think they will bother and spend money to rescan an old music video. And I don't think they will release it as compressed low 480p but as 480p high quality or even in 1080p if they upscale.

But I will never expect a good quality remaster, just a high quality with high bitrate 480p (where they will say it's 1080p)

This annoys me because I feel like for such a huge star like Britney Spears - all her videos should be available on VEVO as 4K. Even in terms of her Spotify she should have videos for all her singles. I hope now that they’ve did Oops they’ll do the rest of her albums. BOMT, Toxic etc should all be available. 

It’s not like she’s a Z list star. People with lesser success have all these kind of things up to date while as usual Britney’s bad management don’t care.

But people, we don't have to complain too much, it's not like that her videos were shot in 1080p and were transformed into awful 480p... That's how they were shot, they weren't HD so to be honnest we don't have to complain too much because it's just how they shot them. So if we get just the Mastered Version it's already good because the bitrate quality is higher, but yeah 4K remasters are always better but we just need to not complain and say Britney deserves better etc, because the HD cameras wasn't in her first era so it's normal to have this quality.

They were shot on 35mm film which has the ability to be scanned at resolutions greater than 4K. The form which her videos exist on YT look like they have been ripped from a 480p NTSC VHS tape. Britney's label/team definitely have digital versions of a far greater quality than the YT versions, which have been used in award show ceremonies etc. While it is extremely unlikely that her older videos film were scanned at 4K when they were put through post-production at the time of release, they were definitely scanned at a quality which is better than what is present on her YT channel. 

14 hours ago, MSTAR said:

But people, we don't have to complain too much, it's not like that her videos were shot in 1080p and were transformed into awful 480p... That's how they were shot, they weren't HD so to be honnest we don't have to complain too much because it's just how they shot them. So if we get just the Mastered Version it's already good because the bitrate quality is higher, but yeah 4K remasters are always better but we just need to not complain and say Britney deserves better etc, because the HD cameras wasn't in her first era so it's normal to have this quality.

1. All her non-digitally shot music videos were shot on 35mm film, which can be rescanned to 4k. Look at stuff from the 80s like Last Christmay by Wham, Greatest Love of all by Whitney, You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive, 80s music videos rescanned for 4k.

Heck, the 60s stuff by the beatles were remastered to 4k too.

The only question mark are her Music Videos that have heavy CGI (Stronger) because Cgi were rendered in 480p on tape but even then, Spice Girls' Say You'll Be there is also in clean 4k too.

2. Some of her videos that are uploaded only in 480p definitely do have actual 1080p remasters. I'm sure her Circus era videos were originally mastered in 1080p at the very least

3 hours ago, GODNEYSPEARS99 said:

They were shot on 35mm film which has the ability to be scanned at resolutions greater than 4K. The form which her videos exist on YT look like they have been ripped from a 480p NTSC VHS tape. Britney's label/team definitely have digital versions of a far greater quality than the YT versions, which have been used in award show ceremonies etc. While it is extremely unlikely that her older videos film were scanned at 4K when they were put through post-production at the time of release, they were definitely scanned at a quality which is better than what is present on her YT channel. 

VHS is an exaggeration, but a lot of the YouTube uploads are Composite masters like Ooops and Lucky, even though cleaner masters exist like the ones from her DVD.

(Except for Overprotected DC remix and Bottom of my broken heart, I've never seen clean masters of these)

2 hours ago, aspireone said:

1. All her non-digitally shot music videos were shot on 35mm film, which can be rescanned to 4k. Look at stuff from the 80s like Last Christmay by Wham, Greatest Love of all by Whitney, You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive, 80s music videos rescanned for 4k.

Heck, the 60s stuff by the beatles were remastered to 4k too.

The only question mark are her Music Videos that have heavy CGI (Stronger) because Cgi were rendered in 480p on tape but even then, Spice Girls' Say You'll Be there is also in clean 4k too.

2. Some of her videos that are uploaded only in 480p definitely do have actual 1080p remasters. I'm sure her Circus era videos were originally mastered in 1080p at the very least

That's what I'm saying, by the time, HD don't exists in her first era, so having this awful quality is normal, but yes we can have better of course, but we all have just to wait for better quality.

But Circus Master's is not 1080p but 720x512 (Pro-Res), I upscaled it in 4K on my yt channel and it's just amazing and better than the VEVO one. 

Archived