Hayley Williams delivered one of the best albums of the year. So why aren’t we talking about it? (op-ed)

hayleywilliamssongbysong.jpg

As a self-proclaimed 30’s Gay, I have to admit a lot of the current ‘Pop’ music trends don’t interest me. (Don’t Come for me just yet, I’m not shading your faves). Growing up in a strictly religious home, and feeling consistently out of place, or never quite right, I connected to Hayley Williams early on, and fell in love my Freshman year of college, when RIOT!  was released. Something about the angsty, pint sized vixen was just so endearing. She was a little bit mis-understood, she was in pain, maybe a little bit tortured, but she was determined to get the last laugh. As the years went on for Paramore, their creativity shifted, the band had their ups and downs... but I always Loved Hayley’s song-writing, and the maturity that grew into it. For years I’ve wondered what a solo album from Hayley might sound like— and it appears it was worth the wait. 

Now, it’s just an opinion, but I think Hayley Williams just delivered some of, if not THE best music of her career. I also think it’s one of the best albums to be released this year so far. 

1289804.jpg

I knew from the moment I first heard ‘Simmer’ that this record was going to pack an emotional punch. The song was brimming with dark vibes over that pulsating, dark node. What I was presently surprised by was how unique the collection would be. For the ‘Pop’ enthusiasts out there, Hayley doesn’t disappoint. Songs like ‘My Friend’, ‘Dead Horse’, ‘Over Yet’ and ‘Sudden Desire’ pack all the experimental pop vibes you could hope for in this COVID-19 state of mind we’re all in, well others like ‘Cinnamon’, ‘Simmer’ and ‘Why We Ever’ take a deeper dive into Williams’ post-divorce psyche. Call it catharsis, call it introspective..... Petals for Amor is an album you shouldn’t miss. 

Thoughts? 

Also y’all, this is my first “Topic” in Exhale. Give a guy some likes!!!!! 

Hayley Williams @ YouTube

Petals For Armor — Apple Music

Leave-It-Alone-Press-Image-PC_-Lindsey-B

tophayleyic.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

While I do agree that Petals of Armor is amazing, I do feel like Hayley could've had a bit more fun on this LP. I get it, she wanted to distinguish her sound from Paramores staple sound, but she should not have dismissed her fun side on these tracks. Lyrics are amazing and so is the sound, but to me her best work is in Paramores self titled album. It had heart, it had fun, it had great lyrics and lots of gut. I still appreciate this solo album though.

• Haha 1

i think "why we ever" is one of the best songs released this year. oh my god the way it takes that shift halfway through - the chords at 1:53 singlehandedly make me cry like woooooow. Insane.

i also used to think 'dead horse' was absolute garbage but after watching the music video and actually listening to the lyrics its an empowering bop!

also "pure love" is such a funky disco song, while "sugar on the rim" gives me suchhhh madonna vogue vibes. SICKENING tenor.gif?itemid=12362124

ive listened to the album 100 times noooo joke i love it, so glad someone is talking about it here!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Were you a Paramore fan too? :surprisedney: crushcrushcrush & Misery Business were my jams in high school :yesplease:

Yes! I’m obsessed with Paramore to this day. I’ve been to each tour, and both legs of ‘After Laughter’. I like how their sound has grown with their audience 

3 hours ago, Jayjukebox said:

While I do agree that Petals of Armor is amazing, I do feel like Hayley could've had a bit more fun on this LP. I get it, she wanted to distinguish her sound from Paramores staple sound, but she should not have dismissed her fun side on these tracks. Lyrics are amazing and so is the sound, but to me her best work is in Paramores self titled album. It had heart, it had fun, it had great lyrics and lots of gut. I still appreciate this solo album though.

That self-titled is my favorite as well :)

1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Were you a Paramore fan too? crushcrushcrush & Misery Business were my jams in high school 

I'm not a fan but I love a lot of their singles. I almost stanned them cause of a guy I dated before. Ryan if you're watching. :blol:

Still Into You is my stan song. :barbie:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BritneySpurs said:

I don't even think Paramore is that popular are they? It looks like they've only had one top 10 song.

what does popularity have to do with anything miss thing? why u bringing it up? who cares? the music is great thats all that matters

for the record, paramore might not have all that many hit songs but they have an immense cult following. And even beyond that, most people know who paramore are

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block