Promote your native pop royalty

On 4/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, Cheshire-B said:

So, for France I would say this

1. QUEEN OF POP - Mylène Farmer

2.  KING OF POP - Johnny Hallyday

3. PRINCESS / PRINCE OF POP - Alizée (sadly she retired)

4. THE GREATEST BAND - Téléphone

5. THE MOST POPULAR ARTIST CURRENTLY - Aya Nakamura

That's just my personnal opinion for Princess and greatest band, but pretty sure of myself about Queen/King. Can't think of someone else actually. Mylène Farmer is literraly the french Madonna. 

omg my French counterpart :pumped:Bonjour

I was going to say Mylene Farmer, she is clearly the French Madonna. Very interesting artist and very mysterious. I'm a big fan. You should all see her videos and lives. She is iconic, talented, showstopping :praisega:

As for princess I wouldn't have chose Alizée. She had no real impact. The problem is, I think, in the 2000's and 2010's we had a lot of new artists in France (Shy'm, Jennifer, Tal etc)  but none had enough impact (and had so much success) to be considered as Princess/Prince. But I still agree with you with everything. 

So stream Mylene Farmer and Aya Nakamura :gunriah:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Here is a presentation of Swedish pop music and our royalty (and Gods).

OVERLORDS

Most current pop musicians refer to ABBA as an inspiration. Not only in Sweden...

However, my favourites are probably As Good As New, Lay All Your Love On Me, Voulez-Vous, When All Is Said And Done and The Winner Takes It All.

QUEEN

She has been hugely popular in Sweden since she got her breakthrough in the mid 90s. She had a creative resurrection in the mid 00s which also gave her a UK #1 and some club hits in the US.

Too many good songs to mention, but I love Be Mine, Call Your Girlfriend, Time Machine and Show Me Love. Also The Girl And The Robot with Röyksopp is great.

PRINCESS

Not all princesses become queens, and we'll see what happens to Zara. But while this might not her biggest international hit (it cracked onto the hot 100 and peaked at #3 in the UK) it was the song that turned her from child sensation to actual pop star in her native Sweden.

KINGS

Sweden men haven't quite been as successful internationally as female singers. However, they have been very popular nationally and there are many contenders for the position of king (and I guess this is where most people might disagree with me). This band broke through in the 90s and have been hugely popular since then. Let me give you Kent.

PRINCE

The prince who'll never grow up to be a king. Avicii has many well-known songs, I chose this because of how the church bells rang this song when he had died (and because it features another Swedish singer, Sandro Cavazzo).

I do have two honorary mentions...

While ABBA might be the undisputed overlords, Roxette is the Swedish band with most Billboard hot 100 #1s (4), and this song is a national treasure.

And while speaking of national treasures, Sweden has a singer who has been huge nationally since 1983 but never had any international success outside of the Eurovision Song Contest, Carola. This is her latest entry, back in 2006:

• Like 1

I adore Zara! She is absolutely amazing and deserves intetnational superstardom. Pity she isnlazy with her second album cause i cant wait for it :fakecry: So Good was a perfect album full of bops and when it comes to her newer music i really like WOW and the song from Klaus. I will listen to the rest of Swedish slays you shared soon!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, theosgrlt said:

omg my French counterpart :pumped:Bonjour

I was going to say Mylene Farmer, she is clearly the French Madonna. Very interesting artist and very mysterious. I'm a big fan. You should all see her videos and lives. She is iconic, talented, showstopping :praisega:

As for princess I wouldn't have chose Alizée. She had no real impact. The problem is, I think, in the 2000's and 2010's we had a lot of new artists in France (Shy'm, Jennifer, Tal etc)  but none had enough impact (and had so much success) to be considered as Princess/Prince. But I still agree with you with everything. 

So stream Mylene Farmer and Aya Nakamura :gunriah:

yaaaaaaas ! bonjour !

So excited to see another french member ! 

I kind of agree with what you say on the pop princess part, that's why I said it was only my opinion for this category ! :tongueney:

But I LOOOOOVE how you talked about Shym, Jennifer, Tal,... and didn't even bother to add Lorie ! Living for this shade ! :gelis:

4 hours ago, zenden said:

i rarely listen any of russian music.  but i like this woman. her voice is like omg. 

others mostly rubbish. i am not sure who is our pop queen. but this is king. and it is so embarassing

Reveal hidden contents

I like the song! And Polina is quite known in Poland, I've heard some of her songs in the past though I can't recall exactly which ones

• Like 1

I'm too lazy to put links and photos but it is something like this:

Bulgarian king of pop: Azis (3 Songs: Sen Trope, Habibi, Kaza Li Go)

Bulgarian queen of pop: Andrea (3 Songs: Haide Opa, Provbai Se, Dokrai)

Bulgarian prince of pop: I think Galin (3 Songs: #MeGusta, Momche Bez Sartse, Na Egipet Faraona)

Bulgarian princess of pop: Maybe Maria (3 Songs by Maria: Stradam, Spomeni, Tiho) or maybe Preslava (3 Songs by Preslava: Pyan, Na Tebe Ne Otkazvam, Da Gori V Lyubov )or Galena (Moro Mou, Lamborghini, Pey Sartse) or Anelia (Dai Mi Oshte, Got Mi E, Zooparkat), or Gery-Nikol (3 Songs by Gery-Nikol: Naprao Gi Ubivam, Ustni, Ela I Vsi Vzemi), idk tbh

Bulgarian band: I don't know any bands sorry, I know an X-Factor group called 4Magic

Most popular artist right now: Krisko (3 Songs: Da Ili Ne, Bidimo Dobolni, Gledai Kak Se Pravi)

• Super Mods
16 hours ago, dark_wolf said:

I'm French but.. I was raised & grew up listening to American (thanks to my sisters) & African music (thanks to my parents).
So honestly, I don't know how to answer because I only listen to American/African music (and also some South American artists). It's not that I dislike French music, I love my country but it's just that I have different taste when it comes to music.

But do you hear them like in public? Or on tv? Like you are aware of the French music scene, like you know some artist and such but just don’t listen to? 

• Love 1

Well, expanding a bit on the Mexican Pop Princesses, I think I'll start with Fey.

She has a particular story, because she was forced to lie about her age when she first started her career. They claimed she was 17 when she was 23 or something :o It all was revealed after her third album, but the scandal followed her forever and she's always mocked because of this, the eternal teenager, but even herself jokes about it and keeps saying she's 17 lol

She does look great though

Her first album self-titled, Fey, came out in 1995 and was very successful. The lead single, Media Naranja, I already shared it, was a massive hit.

Sadly she never made many music videos, despite sending many singles to the radio. She was more of performing the songs on tv shows. But she has a lot of classics. What also made her more successful especially among children were her energetic choreographies.

She also became a fashion icon. All the girls were dressing up like her, with the same kind of clothes and accessories, she released a clothing line, even a weird toy and all kind of merchandise. She was everywhere :donewithit:

She worked with José Ramon Florez, from Spain, who did most of her hits and also from other emerging pop acts of the 90's.

Her first three albums could be compared to Britney's first three in the sense that they were more pop, commercial and were the most successful. 

In 1996 she released Tierna la Noche, with the massive lead single Azúcar Amargo, which I already shared as well.

Other hits from that album

This is a very silly song that everyone makes fun of, but I think it's really catchy :haha: She brought this dance influences from Europe and nobody was doing that kind of stuff in here

Her third album, El Color de los Sueños, was released in late 1998 and I don't know why it's not on digital platforms, but here's the single

Here's where her image started to change a bit. She wasn't as childish anymore. It's so weird to think BOMT had come out by this time. :o But I do remember seeing both Britney and Fey on MTV at some point.

After the promo ended in 1999, her age was no secret anymore, she disappeared. Fame really took a toll on her, and she moved to the US and started studying other stuff, but she kept recording. She finally had control over the direction of her music, and in 2002 she released her darkest album, Vértigo, which most of her fans consider the best (I don't lol it's like what Blackout is for y'all) .

She actually recorded it in English as well, but it didn't sound very good, and evidently she never made it in the English speaking markets. The problem is, it wasn't very successful in Latin America either. The record label just didn't get it 

tumblr_mdiisdjusT1qihp55o1_250.gif

I particularly think it was ahead of its time

90f371d2e8211c39f9dc2484e97178df.gif

At this point she got the same manager of Savage Garden, Prince and others to promote her internationally, but eventually she started having a lot of differences with the way Sony was managing the promotion of the album, and they ended up dropping her from the record label.

She then moved to EMI and released in 2004 a cover album to pay tribute to Spanish 80's band, Mecano, titled La Fuerza del Destino. This was seen as the true comeback of her to the Latin radio.

Then she released her 6th album in 2006 Faltan Lunas, which was a cover album as well, but this time she adapted songs from other languages to Spanish, so people didn't really know they were covers lol

this one wasn't as successful and they took forever to release a second single, which was only sent to radio with no further promotion, and she ended up leaving the record label.

Her second comeback would be in 2009 with her seventh album Dulce Tentación, which was released independently. Her singles did gain some popularity, but nothing compared to her golden years.

After this she had married for the third time lol and had a baby. Then in 2012 she would have yet another comeback, with her live album Primera Fila. This was after she got a new contract with Sony Music. The acoustic show consisted in a selection of songs from her first three albums plus three new songs. The lead single Frío became moderately popular

And Te Pertenezco, originally from her second album, had its chance now as an official single

Btw after this, fans didn't know that these acoustic arrangements would be eternally used for the following years on every tour she did. We're tired of them already :wontcry:

In 2014 she did a new tour with these songs plus other ones that weren't included on the album. And it was released as a DVD called Todo lo Que Soy.

She went independent again :tiffeyeroll: And ever since has only released sparse singles. A duet that I'm NOT gonna link, 'cause it's so boring. Then in 2016 she released Amo

Tbh, being independent she just doesn't get the same success that she used to. She's tried to do some tours but they end up cancelled after a couple of dates due to low demand. Her two last tours were supposed to be released as DVD's, but we got nothing.

In 2017 she became part of this mega tour, that has its own story, 90's Pop Tour, which gathered several famous acts from the pop scene of the 90's, and she participated in the first two phases, and then joined again in the final leg just as a guest performing a couple of songs. 

And in 2018 she released her latest single, the reagueton-influenced ( :ugh: ) No Te Necesito 

She tried to tour after this, but again, the tour ultimately flopped. And hasn't released anything ever since, but she keeps very active on social media 

and she performs sporadically on festivals and stuff :yaknow:

The last time I logged in, Sam Lufti, aka Osama, had several active topics, and Jordan was often called Jordina.... Time flys!

Anyways, my choices were centered in what could be considered Brazil's essence. It's our sound, brazilian true pop. 

1- Princess - Mylla - Cia do Calypso

A true star, IMO. I love to see her dance, stage presence, wild hair. This music is about lusting after a stranger, inside an elevator. She parted ways with her band at her prime to become a gospel singer, unfortunately, I guess. "When we entered the same elevator/ I couldn't help it/ I scanned your body/I didn't do it/ fantasising was good, though"....

2- Queen - Joelma

This song is about a position called "limping horse". Joelma sings: "No, don't stop, take my hand, feel this, limping horse I will teach you now"... LOL

3- Anitta 

This video is very true to Brazil's reality, without the fear, violence, **** lords, guns... Anitta makes a generic sound most of the time, but this... This is brazilian funk. This is a girl getting ready to party at a favela. Yes, you will find roaches at the street, a pool will be improvised at the back of a truck, and forget about spray tan. Here, bikini lines are created with tape. This is actually a service that is very, very popular at the projects, precisely recreated. 

10 hours ago, Cheshire-B said:

yaaaaaaas ! bonjour !

So excited to see another french member ! 

I kind of agree with what you say on the pop princess part, that's why I said it was only my opinion for this category ! :tongueney:

But I LOOOOOVE how you talked about Shym, Jennifer, Tal,... and didn't even bother to add Lorie ! Living for this shade ! :gelis:

Omg I forget about the Britney wannabe :ohcrap: I very like her music omg how could have forget about her ? 

She was clearly the princess of French pop in her early career. She looked so much like Britney tho..

6 hours ago, Lorenm said:

The last time I logged in, Sam Lufti, aka Osama, had several active topics, and Jordan was often called Jordina.... Time flys!

Anyways, my choices were centered in what could be considered Brazil's essence. It's our sound, brazilian true pop. 

1- Princess - Mylla - Cia do Calypso

A true star, IMO. I love to see her dance, stage presence, wild hair. This music is about lusting after a stranger, inside an elevator. She parted ways with her band at her prime to become a gospel singer, unfortunately, I guess. "When we entered the same elevator/ I couldn't help it/ I scanned your body/I didn't do it/ fantasising was good, though"....

2- Queen - Joelma

This song is about a position called "limping horse". Joelma sings: "No, don't stop, take my hand, feel this, limping horse I will teach you now"... LOL

3- Anitta 

This video is very true to Brazil's reality, without the fear, violence, **** lords, guns... Anitta makes a generic sound most of the time, but this... This is brazilian funk. This is a girl getting ready to party at a favela. Yes, you will find roaches at the street, a pool will be improvised at the back of a truck, and forget about spray tan. Here, bikini lines are created with tape. This is actually a service that is very, very popular at the projects, precisely recreated. 

Anitta !!!! I'm a big fan of her like a big stan. She is the only artist recently that makes me feel happy and excited since Gaga and Britney are sleeping :chrissy:

I saw her twice in concert in Europe and she slays omg and no her music isn't that generic. She does a lot of latin pop song and funk etc. I think I'm going to do a thread about her 'cause she deserves international fame she is so talented:whatitellu:

24 minutes ago, theosgrlt said:

Omg I forget about the Britney wannabe :ohcrap: I very like her music omg how could have forget about her ? 

She was clearly the princess of French pop in her early career. She looked so much like Britney tho..

How could you forget about the "I will be there" rip off mixed with re-created scenes from the sometimes video ? :embarrassed:

They were really trying to make a french Britney, yeah. And it did work she was popular !

• Love 2
2 hours ago, theosgrlt said:

We also had a britney copycat in Poland :orangu:

This song is a total Born To Make You Happy ripoff (and btw Born To Make You Happy was highly popular in Poland and to this day it is one of very few Britney songs that has some airplay)

and here, again her look and sound is completely britney-like

her "career" lasted for about a year though :cigney:

24 minutes ago, Matiz said:

We also had a britney copycat in Poland :orangu:

This song is a total Born To Make You Happy ripoff (and btw Born To Make You Happy was highly popular in Poland and to this day it is one of very few Britney songs that has some airplay)

and here, again her look and sound is completely britney-like

her "career" lasted for about a year though :cigney:

I really though I was about to listen to BTMYH when the song started :ohcrap: and the second one straight out of OIDIA

I'm pretty sure every country tried at some point to have their own Britney:truthtea:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

But do you hear them like in public? Or on tv? Like you are aware of the French music scene, like you know some artist and such but just don’t listen to? 

I know some French artists but I just don't listen to them. I used to try to listen to some, but that's not what I like.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block