Promote your native pop royalty

Hi everyone :hiii: This is the first time I create a topic here so I hope it won't flop :pieceofwhat:

I have more free time now (as probably majority of us :gagasmile:) and I want to use this time to expand my cultural horizons. I watch movies and read books I never had time for. I also try to discover great new music. It struck me that even though the whole world knows the greatest hits of Madonna, MJ, Britney etc., there are hundreds or thousands of iconic songs and artists that are known only to people from a particular country. Just imagine how many great songs we miss, because we don't live in a certain place or do not speak certain language. So here is my idea, which I hope will expand musical horizons of many of us:

I want to encourage all of us who is not from US or UK (and I think that we have here people from all around the world) to share their native pop royalty attaching some of their most iconic songs which we think the rest of us will be slayed by. I think that 3 songs per artist would be not too little and not too much. I think that their should be 5 categories:

1. QUEEN OF POP

2.  KING OF POP

3. PRINCESS / PRINCE OF POP

4. THE GREATEST BAND

5. THE MOST POPULAR ARTIST CURRENTLY

I hope that you will like the idea and at least some users will participate :) I know that majority of songs will not be in English and therefore won't be understood properly but let's give them a chance and appreciate them. And let's share some great and iconic music!

royalty.jpg

• Love 2

Ok, so I will start with Polish Queen of Pop. Ladies and gentleman, I give you Maryla Rodowicz!

Maryla Rodowicz: Jak nie zostałam bojowniczką - Plus Minus - rp.pl

Some Poles may argue with this choice, but Maryla's impact on Polish music is undeniable. She's been in the industry since forever. Before time there was Maryla Rodowicz. In her prime (70's - 90's) she was probably the biggest star in Poland and was very popular in many Eastern Europe countries (eg. Russia and Czech Republic). She is now 75, but is still very active. Even though she hasn't had a proper hit since 00's, her songs are known by everyone and are played on every wedding, aunt's birthday or New Year's Eve party. She is one of the most popular and expensive concert artists here and her performances and paychecks are legendary, especially ewhen it comes to New Year Eve which is the most important and profitable event for Polsih artists. Maryla can earn 100 000 zł (over 20 000 USD) for a 10 minute perforomance which is huge for Polish standards. Here are some of her most important songs:

Please note that Polish gold hits have a tendency to be uploaded on yt several times from random accounts and therefore you should count their views x10 to see their popularity

1. MAŁGOŚKA (1974)

her first and arguably the biggest hit. It still has an enormous airplay and every Polish person knows this song.

2. ALE TO JUŻ BYŁO (1991)

A beautiful and touching song. It's a real anthem. You would have to know Polish in order to appreciate it, but it is a very powerful song about passing and acknowledging that the past is the past (that's what the title means) This is the definition of nostalgia

3. NIECH ŻYJE BAL (1985)

I couldn't make my mind what song should I choose as the last one, because Maryla has so many hits. I wanted to present you some quicker song becasue Maryla is known as an entertainer. However, I couldn't not mention this legendary song:

• Love 1

POLISH KING OF POP

I think that the choice should be Krzysztof Krawczyk. His songs are huge and his concerts are very popular even though he is 76 and his career lasts for already 55 years. What can be surprising, besides being all grandma's idol, he has now what can be called a resurgence of popularity and is highly popular among people in their twenties (like me :pieceofwhat:).

Iconic hits (i chose the newer ones, as the older are too polish for you xd):

1. MÓJ PRZYAJCIELU / MY FRIEND (2001)

2. TRUDNO TAK / HOW HARD IT IS (2004)

3. BO JESTEŚ TY / BECAUSE YOU ARE THERE (2002)

22 minutes ago, Matiz said:

Ok, so I will start with Polish Queen of Pop. Ladies and gentleman, I give you Maryla Rodowicz!

Maryla Rodowicz: Jak nie zostałam bojowniczką - Plus Minus - rp.pl

Some Polish may argue with this choice, but Maryla's impact on Polish music is undeniable. She's been in the industry since forever. Before time there was Maryla Rodowicz. In her prime (70's - 90's) she was probably the biggest star in Poland and was very popular in many Eastern Europe countries (eg. Russia and Czech Republic). She is now 75, but is still very active. Even though she hasn't had a proper hit since 00's, her songs are known by everyone and are played on every wedding, aunt's birthday or New Year's Eve party. She is one of the most popular and expensive concert artists here and her performances and paychecks are legendary, especially ewhen it comes to New Year Eve which is the most important and profitable event for Polsih artists. Maryla can earn 100 000 zł (over 20 000 USD) for a 10 minute perforomance which is huge for Polish standards. Here are some of her most important songs:

Please note that Polish gold hits have a tendency to be uploaded on yt several times from random accounts and therefore you should count their views x10 to see their popularity

1. MAŁGOŚKA (1974)

her first and arguably the biggest hit. It still has an enormous airplay and every Polish person knows this song.

2. ALE TO JUŻ BYŁO (1991)

A beautiful and touching song. It's a real anthem. You would have to know Polish in order to appreciate it, but it is a very powerful song about passing and acknowledging that the past is the past (that's what the title means) This is the definition of nostalgia

3. NIECH ŻYJE BAL (1985)

I couldn't make my mind what song should I choose as the last one, because Maryla has so many hits. I wanted to present you some quicker song becasue Maryla is known as an entertainer. However, I couldn't not mention this legendary song:

I was thinking about Doda first, but ok you're right, Maryla is the queen and Doda is the princess, the're like Madonna & Britney :reductive:

• Love 1

POLISH PRINCESS OF POP

There is quite a competition, but the title shall go to Doda. She is not only extremely talented and charismatic but is also an activist and LGBT icon in Poland. She is also a big Britney fan and welcomed her in Poland when Britney was promoting The Intimate Collection!

Doda - sesja promująca nowy teledysk "Riotka" - Muzyka

Doda do Britney Spears: "Tak bardzo cię kocham" (wideo) - CGM.pl

Doda started her carren in a highly succesful band called Virgin. She has always been a scandalist and is famous for her outrageous behaviour and feuds with other celebrities. However, she has matured now and can be now perceived as a positive role model.

Iconic hits of Doda and Virgin:

1. NIE DAJ SIĘ / DO NOT GIVE UP (2010)

the music video is clearly influenced by Britney's Womanizer

2. SZANSA / THE CHANCE (2006)

3. 2 BAJKI / 2 FAIRY TALES (2005)

WHAT A CLASSIC

• Love 2

I don’t know how to put this up but I am from India, and the singers here sing for soundtrack so and movies. There r few that don’t, majority do:firega: but I suggest listening to the Dilwala Dulhania le Jayenge soundtrack because that soundtrack influence really changed the landscape of Bollywood soundtracks:duadance: is like comparable to thriller/ ray of light/ blackouts influence in the music industry:livinggg: the soundtrack basically has like...the most iconic songs in bollywood:katycream: 

however....

Queen Of Bollywood music - Neha Kakkar

King Of Bollywood music - A.R Rahman (the Madonna of the Bollywood industry)

Princess of Bollywood music -Shreya Goshal

Prince of Bollywood music- Arjit Singh

Hope you enjoy listening to them:lollipop: Dhanyawaad!:sendinglove:

• Love 2

So, for France I would say this

1. QUEEN OF POP - Mylène Farmer

2.  KING OF POP - Johnny Hallyday

3. PRINCESS / PRINCE OF POP - Alizée (sadly she retired)

4. THE GREATEST BAND - Téléphone

5. THE MOST POPULAR ARTIST CURRENTLY - Aya Nakamura

That's just my personnal opinion for Princess and greatest band, but pretty sure of myself about Queen/King. Can't think of someone else actually. Mylène Farmer is literraly the french Madonna. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3

THE GREATEST BAND

Undoubtedly, the most iconic Polish band is BAJM. Tis is basically Polish ABBA. Even, just like ABBA, the group's name comes from their names (Beata, Andrzej, Jarosław, Marek). BAJM's popularity hasn't faded for over 40 years. I was at their concert and it was an unforgettable experience. Their music is not only catchy but is also powerful and meaningful. The band's singer, Beata is next level. She is a true star (also gay icon). Similarly to Maryla, Beata is one of the most expensive artists in the country.

1. CO MI PANIE DASZ / WHAT WILL YOU GIVE ME, LORD (1982)

Watching the MV please mind the times and that Poland in these times was... special :mcorangu:

2. BIAŁA ARMIA / THE WHITE ARMY (1990)

This is an ultimate anthem

3. TA SAMA CHWILA / THE SAME MOMENT

BAJM has so many great songs that it is difficult to choose just 3. But I think that the third one should be one of the most anthemic songs in Polish history. Ta Sama Chwila is a powerful and nostalgic song about moments that we will find no more

mind the awful photo with terrible quality and the fact that it uploaded on a random account and still has over 16 mln views :yasqueen:

THE MOST POPULAR ARTIST CURRENTLY

Putting hip hop music and disco polo aside, the most popular artist today would be Roksana Węgiel known also as Roxie. She is just 15, but has already won Polish The Voice Kids and Eurovison Junior 2018. She is on her way to be an international star.

1. ANYONE i WANT TO BE (2018)

this is the song with which she won Eurovision Junior

2. Lay Low (2019)

Ariana who

3. Dobrze Jest Jak Jest / I'M FINE WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE (2019)

Well, being from Mexico, I think it's hard to pick just one Queen of Pop, because any other fanbase would riot :haha:

I mean, we had some great classic singers from the 70's - 80's, but I guess the only one that is still "current" is Yuri, but I just don't see her like a queen. She's great and everything and super talented, but I'm not sure she had that much success outside of Mexico. I mean, she did, but, I don't know, she doesn't have as many hits for such a long career she has.

If we go to younger singers, I think it would be either Thalia, Paulina Rubio (which came from the same 80's band Timbiriche) or Gloria Trevi (which was more rock-pop, but I think it's the most successful out of the three right now).

So here are some videos of Thalia (I'll try to put a classic and the most recent one)

Spoiler

Well, this is not the latest, but it's the most successful

Paulina Rubio

Spoiler

Gloria Trevi

Spoiler

King of pop, I'm really not sure :idkney: 

I mean, we had these classic singers like José José and Juan Gabriel, but they're dead. I suppose it would have to be Luis Miguel :ehidk:

Spoiler

Princess of Pop, I can only think of Fey

I guess Maria José too

Greatest band, I mean, MY favorite bands are OV7 and Kabah, but in terms of sales I don't know which was the biggest. It could've been Timbiriche, RBD, Magneto, :idkney:

OV7

Spoiler

Kabah

Spoiler

But I think the most successful and current ones are Ha-Ash, if that can be counted as a band, or if they can be counted as pop. This has almost 1B views, I don't even know how :omg: 

And the most successful current artist, I really don't know. Because I think the most successful in here aren't even Mexican, it's mostly Colombian reguetoneros or I don't know, from some other places. You would have to ask someone younger than me :haha:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

ok, I'm bending my own rules, but I cannot let this one pass.

THE GREATEST DIVA

This woman is everything to me. She is basically Polish Mariah. The biggest diva and the greatest voice in Poland.

Edyta Górniak is one of my favourite artists of all time. In the 1990's she was almost an international star. She earned second place on Eurovision 1994 and released two international albums (Edyta Górniak and Invisible, great albums) which met some success in several European countries and Japan. Her debut album Dotyk is pure gold and has sold over 1 mln copies in Poland which is an enormous amount here.

1. TO NIE JA / IT'S NOT ME (1994)

This the song which earned her second place on Eurovison (she should have won though). It's a timeless hit, there is an English version of this song, however, the lyrics are completely different and has nothing to do with the beautiful original. 

2. One and One (1997)

3. Your High (2014)

13 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

what's disco polo? :ohnoney:

believe me, you don't want to know :pieceofwhat:

It's a terrible cheap polish version of disco with music made in Paint and lyrics which could be written by a 5 year old :awks:

The thing is, it is tremendously popular and you cannot run away from it :britdrown:

If you are brave enough here are samples (and trust me, I chose only the ones which are bearable)

Spoiler

Spoiler

the views :orangu:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Matiz said:

the views :orangu:

I liked the first one :embarrassney: I mean, the music, it's very similar to the pop we had in here in the 90's (which was very influenced by European trends). I just didn't like the vocals, but maybe because I'm not used to the language. But it's so funny, because the video is as tacky as the videos from Mexican "banda" and all those regional music groups :haha: It's as if I was watching Bandamax (a tv channel that plays that kind of music). They even have the same bad acting and story lol

The second one was very weird, the video, but I feel like it would be something I would dance on one of those DDR machines, if they were still a thing, and if I knew how to dance DDR :blol:

And the third one scared me at first, but then it wasn't that bad. I just don't consider that pop. I think it's more rock-ish, or like ska or something. Actually sounds very similar to some groups from here in Mexico, but since I'm not a huge fan of that music, I couldn't tell which is it. It could be Maldita Vecindad or Panteón Rococó or something like that. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block