Lady Gaga's "Stupid Love" falls out of the Top 200 on US Spotify

Adding to those comments that the song/video was not a strong LEAD single. I’m gonna say it ... and this is NOT any bias  given the the fact that I am in my “thirty (three) flirty and thriving” stage... in the eyes of the driving force of music consumption these days (youthz) Gaga is old. They don’t wanna see a 30-something perform pop music they want Billie eilish singing a suicide note or something they can flail their arms to in a TikTok. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

Exhale, help me understand. :alook:

Lady Gaga's new song "Stupid Love" is already out of the Top 200 on Spotify in the US (source). :katycry:

I am actually pretty shocked about that. The song is a BOP! :goat:

But it appears the GP is not here for it. They like A Star Is Bornga better. :sipnstare:

It's not all bad though. It's sitting at #32 on the Hot 100 six weeks in. It debuted at #5. :gunriah:

Why did Stupid Love not perform better? Can someone explain why they think it didn't have mainstream success? :squintney:

gaga.jpg

@JordanMiller Because it's too much recycled Gaga/dated for her big return to pop music............She's been out of the upper echelon of regular performing pop stars for a while (A Star is Born/Shallow/Enigma were all great one off successes respectively) but she hasn’t been an impactful pop MAINSTAY in years.

Her big return needed a new, inventive sound with a better rollout and epic music video. Stupid Love is cute, but would have been more acceptable as a third or fourth single on a non-comeback album.

I lost interest in Gaga when she changed her style from pop music to jazz (and whatever she did in Joanne), and now she wants to go back to pop music, why? I have not heard the new song, and I will not listen to it. I like Lady gaga but her "brand"doesnt sound  or look  like Lil peep, Post Malone, Lil Xan , Billie eillish (they sound and look like is 2020).  

Well when I first heard the leaked version a month before I LOVED it... listened to it so much that by the time the real single came out I was already sick of it... She should have released it right after it leaked tbh... the gays were here for it then. But I think what ultimately flopped it for me was the extremely lame music video that I had such high hopes for... I understand it was shot on an iPhone, but it just ended up looking very low budget. The choreography was cringey, and it was just lame... I hope the rest of Chromatica is better... I feel like GaGa is trying to return to her roots, but I almost wish it was a little more innovative this era.

3 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

But I imagine most Spotify streams are from individuals versus bars and clubs right? 

Yes, totally.  I meant it more so as in when people hear a song out then they might stream it more on their own; gym, car, getting ready to go out, etc.  I get what you mean though too.  

3 hours ago, Brat2017 said:

Agreed,  a lot of people stopped going to the gym too.  

That’s along the lines of what I was thinking.  Before I had a streaming service, I was down in Key West and heard a Rihanna remix at a bar.  When I got back from the trip, I immediately searched for it on iTunes, downloaded it, and listened to on repeat.  It made me think of the trip and the night I heard it.  That’s the impact that I meant about bars and clubs being closeD and how it could’ve played a part.  

3 minutes ago, Mattyj7883 said:

That’s along the lines of what I was thinking.  Before I had a streaming service, I was down in Key West and heard a Rihanna remix at a bar.  When I got back from the trip, I immediately searched for it on iTunes, downloaded it, and listened to on repeat.  It made me think of the trip and the night I heard it.  That’s the impact that I meant about bars and clubs being closeD and how it could’ve played a part.  

Totally,  it’s an upbeat song that would be played at a festival,  club or workout class.  It was just bad timing.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

Do you think it would've performed better had it not leaked a month in advance? 

I don't know if this has the correlation between "leaks" and "performance" that we've always thought it had. 

I honestly think these leaks are done on purpose 85% of the time. Even if the artist says its a leak, it's a new marketing strategy in the digital era. 

Leaks create hype/buzz and people go looking for something. You think Gaga's team or whoever can't track whos searching for what on google? Everyone can see these stats. It all enters into play when marketing an album these days.

The leaks show what people are interested in. As for Stupid Love, i think COVID really messed up alot of singles/albums and momentum. 

Ryan Tedder was right about one thing, all thats in the news now is COVID. Literally nothing else. So its hard to do well. 

I think the entirety of gagas pop problems come from how limited what the public want to hear from her is compared to what gaga actually wants to release herself.

Her most inspired albums/songs never meet the desired reactions from mainstream radio/streaming (Artpop, government hooker, Bloody Mary) and the songs that she releases as singles (stupid love, perfect illusion etc) have no groundwork to hold peoples attention for longer than the "big release" or gaga 'famous' music video that people expect.

I also find it incredibly convenient that she decided to push the album back around the same time duas album (which will probably be one of the pest pop records of the year) was brought forward...

HAVING SAID THAT I love gaga and think she's genius - but there's definitely a resemblance in vocals on dualsnew album that I think would make any artist shake especially after gagas previous release bombs...

On 4/15/2020 at 12:52 PM, nakedsoldier said:

Because the song is pure trash

The video is pure trash

and gaga's lost her touch the moment she fired her team after Born This Way. She is nothing without the creatives that made her.

The critics kept comparing her to Madonna. Gaga got seriously annoyed. That was going to happen. Once she ditched laurie Ann. The critics stopped the comparisons and it just became a stan war that still happens. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block