Lady Gaga's "Stupid Love" falls out of the Top 200 on US Spotify

• Leader

Exhale, help me understand. :alook:

Lady Gaga's new song "Stupid Love" is already out of the Top 200 on Spotify in the US (source). :katycry:

I am actually pretty shocked about that. The song is a BOP! :goat:

But it appears the GP is not here for it. They like A Star Is Bornga better. :sipnstare:

It's not all bad though. It's sitting at #32 on the Hot 100 six weeks in. It debuted at #5. :gunriah:

Why did Stupid Love not perform better? Can someone explain why they think it didn't have mainstream success? :squintney:

gaga.jpg

I just don’t think it brought about the same impact her previous lead singles have. Just Dance, Bad Romance, Born This Way & Applause are ICONIC and I just don’t think Stupid Love is in the same league as them. I have mentioned I’m not crazy about her music after Applause came out but when I heard she was releasing new music going back to her roots I was excited. Then I head the song and it just didn’t blow me away. I’ll give the album a chance though when it comes out but her cancelling it really didn’t do her any favors besides giving Dua a shot at #1 in the UK 

Different times. Pop songs and pop stars aren’t “in” like they used to be. The song wasn’t that memorable either imo. Not bad, but not out of this world either. It sounds too similar to past music she’s released before (the production and sound is very similar BTW). 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JordanMiller said:

Exhale, help me understand. :alook:

Lady Gaga's new song "Stupid Love" is already out of the Top 200 on Spotify in the US (source). :katycry:

I am actually pretty shocked about that. The song is a BOP! :goat:

But it appears the GP is not here for it. They like A Star Is Bornga better. :sipnstare:

It's not all bad though. It's sitting at #32 on the Hot 100 six weeks in. It debuted at #5. :gunriah:

Why did Stupid Love not perform better? Can someone explain why they think it didn't have mainstream success? :squintney:

gaga.jpg

Jordy I know you like the song but it just doesn't work (no pun intended). 

It's just old, boring and not even so catchy. It would have probably flopped even if released in 2013

39 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Different times. Pop songs and pop stars aren’t “in” like they used to be. The song wasn’t that memorable either imo. Not bad, but not out of this world either. It sounds too similar to past music she’s released before (the production and sound is very similar BTW). 

i don't necessarily think that's true, it's just that pop music as in the form of gaga and her ilk isn't in. the pop music that's been in the past few years has been pretty different but still diverse and successful, musicians like ariana, halsey, about half of lana's stuff is pop and she has a massive massive fanbase over the last decade, more recently billie, but there are plenty more. i mean the majority of 2019's number ones were generally pop music.

thank u next, without me, sunflower, bad guy, circles, senorita, lose you to love me - pop 

sucker - pop/rock

shallow - mom music, in this case a blend of country & pop & rock

7 rings - this one is pop trap so still about half pop

someone you loved - hate this song and don't care to listen to it again but wikipedia cites it as pop so i'll trust them lmao

aiwfciy - christmas music, in this case very upbeat pop-y christmas music

that's 24/52 weeks of the year, and that's considering old town road eating up 19 whole weeks, 9 of which would've went to bad guy if otr didn't end up being what it was (and it's still a very pop-y sounding song). we had a grand total of 9 weeks that one of these songs nor old town road were at number one the whole year. that's a pretty good year for pop music even if it doesn't sound like lady gaga circa 2010

• Leader
1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I just don’t think it brought about the same impact her previous lead singles have. Just Dance, Bad Romance, Born This Way & Applause are ICONIC and I just don’t think Stupid Love is in the same league as them. I have mentioned I’m not crazy about her music after Applause came out but when I heard she was releasing new music going back to her roots I was excited. Then I head the song and it just didn’t blow me away. I’ll give the album a chance though when it comes out but her cancelling it really didn’t do her any favors besides giving Dua a shot at #1 in the UK 

Do you think it would've performed better had it not leaked a month in advance? 

I'm a more casual listener of Gaga and yes, both the song and the video are not strong or interesting enough, compared to her lead singles. :chrissy:
The video is very cheap, I don't care that it was filmed with an iPhone, for a comeback video is very underwhelming, come-on..., you are Lady Gaga, you have the budget and after her past era she should have put more effort into it. I saw it once, maybe twice and that's it, but not only because of the video but the song as well, it doesn't excite me. "Stupid Love" sounds very outdated, it is not original, nor does it have any element that makes you want to listen to it again. :yaknow:

"Alejandro" is a very simple music video too, everything happens on the same stage, but the song is VERY good, and that makes a difference. :tired:

I listened to it once when the video came out, and at this point I don't even remember how it sounds lol but I know it wasn't catchy at all. I think I've listened to Lindsay's song more times than that one.

I think people just aren't here for this.

I mean, I always said that Lady Gaga was gonna burn really quick all these weird outfits and eccentric performances and videos, because she really overdid it. Then I also said that at one point she was gonna run out of weird outfits and people were gonna get so used to it that the new weird for her was gonna dress up as a normal person. And that's exactly what happened. I didn't like Joanne or that song from the movie, but apparently people did. So after doing that, going back to this weird stuff with the video and such, and the whole album concept (so far) I suppose people just don't know how to feel about it :yaknow: I mean, she can't surprise anyone anymore because she's done it all before. The video is not funny, it's not pretty, it's not different, I guess it's not bad, it's simply that the music scene has changed so much with these boring artists, that probably there's no room for this kind of eccentricities. If there aren't other artists following the trend, she just looks like a clown.

And there's also the very important fact that she's been here for more than 10 years now, hasn't she? Probably there's finally come her time to become an act from the past that younger generations simply see like, the music their moms used to listen to or something :idkney: I mean, isn't Katy Perry flopping lately too? 

Maybe not anyone can stay as current for so long anymore, like Britney that lasted at least 15+ years. Times change so fast, and sadly, especially for women, maybe their expiration date comes each time sooner.  

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block