You know what's crazy about the Blackout and Circus eras?

Urbanney

So I was 9 and 10 during the Blackout and Circus eras, and you know what's crazy? I remember hearing about all the events of Britney's breakdown, from the umbrella to the head shaving to the 2007 VMAs to the pictures of her crotch to the POM video to her being hospitalized, yet I don't remember hearing anything about the financial crisis. Maybe I was too young and heard it but didn't understand it so I just kinda blocked it out, but even so, it just goes to show you how publicized and famous Britney and her breakdown was. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it then and I'll say it now, Blackout/Circus eras were my favorite. It was scandalous and crazy but she was a fierce *****. I came across this video of her performing Boys from the Circus tour and her energy is miles better than what we saw in Vegas. People like to say she just walked around on this tour but she walked with purpose. AND we got pre-recorded vocals and the occasional "yaaah" and "whooo!"

3 hours ago, ralphcornio said:

I truly prefer POMney over any post-breakdown Britney, but those eras had their shine, yes. I remember her being so famous and so successful despite all events, all of her videos where big premieres and always the hot topic of the moment. It wasn't 'till FF things started to fall apart....

It was the albums eco packaging. That's when everything changed forever..

6 hours ago, Urbanney said:

So I was 9 and 10 during the Blackout and Circus eras, and you know what's crazy? I remember hearing about all the events of Britney's breakdown, from the umbrella to the head shaving to the 2007 VMAs to the pictures of her crotch to the POM video to her being hospitalized, yet I don't remember hearing anything about the financial crisis. Maybe I was too young and heard it but didn't understand it so I just kinda blocked it out, but even so, it just goes to show you how publicized and famous Britney and her breakdown was. 

I remember reading a big study about her media coverage in 2007. Evidently Britney news accounted for some 27-30% of all news coverage. That’s insane. Might have not been positive publicity, but she was as big as ever back then. And when her comeback came around everyone was rooting for her. Those were good times. 

It’s really weird to me that people became fans AFTER her peak. I kind of lost interest musically speaking after Blackout, she’s just seemed like a controlled puppet since then. She was definitely better during Circus when she thought the cship was just temporary, but ever since FF the cship seemed to have crushed her. Hope she’s free to do whatever she wants soon and we can have that passion back.

12 hours ago, Queenreba said:

I said it then and I'll say it now, Blackout/Circus eras were my favorite. It was scandalous and crazy but she was a fierce *****. I came across this video of her performing Boys from the Circus tour and her energy is miles better than what we saw in Vegas. People like to say she just walked around on this tour but she walked with purpose. AND we got pre-recorded vocals and the occasional "yaaah" and "whooo!"

I like that “walk with purpose” that’s exactly what she did 

6 hours ago, colormelou said:

It’s really weird to me that people became fans AFTER her peak. I kind of lost interest musically speaking after Blackout, she’s just seemed like a controlled puppet since then. She was definitely better during Circus when she thought the cship was just temporary, but ever since FF the cship seemed to have crushed her. Hope she’s free to do whatever she wants soon and we can have that passion back.

I started to stan her the night I saw the BBMA performance, and though the Glory album was a true masterpiece when it came out, compared with its contemporary albums. Even though she can't dance and perform like before, many of you simply miss the fact there is still something unique and captivating about Britney Spears, that is able to entertain and amaze many of us, she still has IT. It's only the fact her "fans" keep bringing everything she does down, picking on every single detail, that makes some of you think otherwise :mhm:

12 hours ago, ralphcornio said:

I truly prefer POMney over any post-breakdown Britney, but those eras had their shine, yes. I remember her being so famous and so successful despite all events, all of her videos where big premieres and always the hot topic of the moment. It wasn't 'till FF things started to fall apart....

FF was her biggest era since Oops and a lot of the younger gays swear that’s her best album. All of the singles were radio smashes and the album has no skips. She even gave Rihanna a #1 by doing the S&M duet.

Hold It Against Me was the first #1 debut single ever and that video premiere was a HUGE event. Till The World Ends is one of her biggest hits. Etc.

Britney Jean was when things went downhill, but even still Scream & Shout and Work ***** were big events as well and have billions of views on YouTube.

Maybe I’m just missing your point? Idk.

41 minutes ago, colormefresh said:

FF was her biggest era since Oops

a lot of the younger gays swear that’s her best album.

the album has no skips.

She even gave Rihanna a #1 by doing the S&M duet.

42 minutes ago, colormefresh said:

Till The World Ends is one of her biggest hits. Etc.

Spoiler

:cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling::cackling:

Yo tengo que reírme...

4 hours ago, colormefresh said:

FF was her biggest era since Oops and a lot of the younger gays swear that’s her best album. All of the singles were radio smashes and the album has no skips. She even gave Rihanna a #1 by doing the S&M duet.

Hold It Against Me was the first #1 debut single ever and that video premiere was a HUGE event. Till The World Ends is one of her biggest hits. Etc.

Britney Jean was when things went downhill, but even still Scream & Shout and Work ***** were big events as well and have billions of views on YouTube.

Maybe I’m just missing your point? Idk.

FF had everything going for it except Britney herself. Yes, it was one of her most successful eras and it was a proper era with promo, 4 singles (3 of them being super successful), a world tour, performances on awards shows, etc. But Britney seemed like she’d rather be anywhere else in the world but performing, promoting, interviewing, etc. I stanned during that era, and let me tell you, every event had a ton of hype and excitement going for it, and then everyone became super disappointed every time it finally happened and we saw Britney seeming very out of it and uncomfortable. I’m not kidding you, it was hope and then disappointment on repeat. And basically all of Exhale had these same sentiments. 

We all just wanted her so bad, more than anything, to show the world why we love her after her breakdown and basically give them hell in a performance, in her appearance, etc. Instead, we got Britney looking super out of it, sad, tired, uncomfortable, etc. Take a look at this promo performance to get a feel for what I mean:

Video

It’s not that she wasn’t trying either. It was just like she was really struggling to do anything. Everything about her was off. For example:

Video

This is where a lot of people started thinking she was taking medication and it was off/not the correct dosage/that she was overmedicated. Her performances and personality have so much more vitality now. She seemed like she was constantly sedated during FF until the last few months of the world tour. 

In 2007 I was 10, but yeah, I agree. I remember that in 2007, I found the Blackout demos on the internet and loooved it. I've loved Britney since I was like Idk, 5? Though you know, it's hard to keep up with everything especially when you're a child. But later, after I found out about the Blackout and Circus eras, I was amazed. She was on the top of the world, and the Circus era was a real triumph after the breakdown. :mcry:

The Femme Fatale era made me stan Britney for feal, like check the news about her and stuff. This era was kind of huge, though I remember people were super thirsty for passionate Britney, but she was only acting shy, bored and tired and I understand that, because the whole era didn't come from her, but her team. It wasn't bad though, it had some nice ideas but it wasn't a good time for Britney. All the time, the fans were searching for the "sparkle" in Britney. Kind of sad... :(

I was 10 in 2007. I grew up with a sister 7 years my senior so she was always Britney’s target demographic in brit’s early days, making me exposed to Brit since I was literally a baby (1 when BOMT came out)

my boyfriend, who is one year older than me, and is the oldest child, doesn’t have these same sentiments which I find just jarring. Whether or not he had an older sibling who would’ve better exposed him to Brit whether or not he loved her, I just find it so odd that he doesnt have the same memories of 2007 that me and my friends do. They’re casual Britney fans, but even they are strongly aware of  EVERYTHING Britney did that was scandalous from 2004-2008. 

Following Blackout, despite how much I love Circus and FF, I feel like her music regressed. She wasn’t taking chances musically and her music became very radio friendly which is why I think my generation (the one that isn’t quite millennial and not quite gen z) has a special attachment to Britney. We grew up on her music and Circus/FF were quite popular in our teen years.

i remember kids at school boasting about how they went to the circus tour and how amazing she was (granted we were like 12 when this was going on) and then I remember in 2011 and being 14 and all of me and my peers were kinda confused by how lethargic and lifeless she had become. She seemed bored and extremely medicated. We loved the music, but weren’t impressed with her.

while I think I’ve always been a lifelong fan, I think I became a “Stan” (aka when I joined exhale) was during the BJ era. No, I didn’t like the music. I didn’t like it at all lmao but I loved the performances. Say what you will about POM, but even through her more sluggish days I felt like Brit was having a lot of fun with the show.

just my experience as a Britney fan. Can anyone relate?

Archived