It's Official! Christina Aguilera Lands Las Vegas Residency!

Jordan Miller

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

The thing with Celine it's not a matter of age or sales. She might have been an "in her prime" superstar, whatever that meant for her career, but I seriously ignore in what country or what world she was considered a current, popular artist. I think, it must be a matter of audiences instead, and that's why we, britards, fail to make a connection between an artist like Celine Dion and another one like Britney, and all the following artists that have launched a residency (after Britney's impact ;) ) because they just belong to different baskets than Celine.

Celine might have paved the way, in terms of what a residency is or can be, and nobody is denying that. But it's not about who did it first or who did it before who, because in that case we would have to go back in time to whoever did the first ever Vegas residency, but that's not the point.

Celine's first residency started in 2003, and maybe some other residencies by older acts came after that, but 10 years were needed before a major, still current popstar decided to go to Las Vegas, and that was Britney Spears. Within the next couple of years, after Britney's residency launched, all these residencies by current artists, or artists from a newer, younger (than Celine's) generation started to appear. So it's obvious and completely logical that we're gonna relate all these residencies with the latest, most recent one which is Britney's, rather than think about Celine who has been for ages in Vegas and hadn't triggered this explosion of residencies (by current artists).

What I mean is that, if the impact and influence of Celine's residency was so big and changed so much the perspective that people and artists had about Vegas, and made residencies so appealing to newer acts, why didn't all these artists start launching residencies years ago? :beynah: Even Britney herself, why didn't her residency start in 2005, or 2007 or 2009? Jennifer, Mariah, etc. Why were people like Madonna or Christina's manager still talking about Vegas residencies as, basically the place for hasbeens and old acts just a few years ago if Celine changed that view 15 years ago?

It's undeniable that Britney with her POM changed Las Vegas landscape and before her, I don't think the hotel chains in Las Vegas were even thinking about signing young acts, or acts that appeal to the younger audiences. They probably must've thought it would be the worst decision possible, since that wasn't the demographic that Las Vegas shows had been traditionally directed to. But Britney changed that.

You are a true star!!! Yasss *****!

Its just funny because of Christina's attitude towards Vegas and Britney. All the catty comments especially in regards to Vegas makes the announcement seem not sincere in the slightest. How would I go see an artist who basically said she was too good for Las Vegas and also one who hasn't had a substantial solo hit in almost 10 years. 

• 1 year later...

Archived