You Wanna Piece Of Him? Drake Reportedly Readying Las Vegas Residency

Jordan Miller

It's funny because I consider Britney and Avril to be the same kind of people :unbothered: The thing is Avril became famous when she was a young rebel unlike Britney, and that's the image she became known forth. Then things reverted :demi:

And now here we are with both of them doing bubblegum pop for all eternity 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Super Mods
2 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Yeah, she lacks all sense of self-awareness and seemingly doesn’t realize how hypocritical she always has been.

Expectation:

“[T]he way Britney dresses, would you walk round the street in a f------ bra? You won’t see me on stage in a **** outfit or my hair in ribbons. If that’s what someone wants to do then so be it, but I wouldn’t be seen dead looking like that.” —Avril Lavigne

Reality:

avril-lavigne-maxim-5.jpg

avril-lavigne-maxim-6.jpg

rosie-huntington-whiteley-12.jpg

avril-lavigne-maxim-3.jpg

avril-lavigne-1600x1200-26454.jpg

707-C0153-4-F47-4547-A010-F46-A71-E8-CDC

D6-E252-C0-1-D24-4373-BDA6-6076-C56093-F

Avril LaLiar :jj:

And as a bonus, she actually even had a freaking ribbon in her hair only three years after that quote I posted above:

FC61030-D-C94-D-4379-9-F21-CDAA084252-EB

Thank god I was never into her. I don’t mind that her image changed over the years but she didn’t have to drag other artists cuz now she’s back tracking so bad. Otherwise she can say that she was young and at a different phase in her life but dissing other people just makes you look petty and insecure. 

I don't see anything wrong with this trend. By all accounts, touring seems to be a really unpleasant experience.. if the artist can stay in one place and make the same (and most likely more) money, then I can see the appeal of a residency. Also, the article says it's rumored to be only 12 gigs over 2 years, so I'm sure he would still tour in between. I know people complain about the expectation of having to go see the artist rather than the other way around, but Vegas is a fun place.. make an event out of it. The only people I see that this harms is the international fans but at the end of the day, money talks :whatitellu:

2 minutes ago, solo said:

Everyone keeps saying Britney started the trend. If Celine Dion's "A New Day..." didn't perform was well as it did, Britney might never have gone to Vegas. Celine started the trend.:bedtime:

I think people mentioning Britney has more to do with the fact that she's a current artist as opposed to an artist like Céline which is viewed as pertaining to a different time (she's been around since the 80s). Britney actually has produced a hit during the start of the streaming era which is “Work *****”. Obviously Céline, Elton, Elvis were first but Britney hasn't really reached “legacy artist” status yet - albeit she will if her next album is not successful.

21 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Well, while I do understand (and agree) the demographic data isn't entirely straightforward simply due to the massive year-round influx of young tourists that impact the economy significantly, this 2018 article by Forbes specifically mentions Vegas as one of the most rapidly aging cities in the entire United States:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2016/02/16/americas-senior-moment-the-most-rapidly-aging-cities/#a4aeaec53e5e

And this article from 2010 accurately predicted the accelerated population growth of senior citizens in Vegas, and projected it will only continue until the demographics of the state are akin to another retirement destination:

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jan/03/new-and-older-demographic/

Excerpt from another article:

“Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey, Forbes ranked the 53 largest U.S. metros based on the rate of growth of the senior population from 2010 to 2014. Atlanta saw the highest growth, at 20 percent, followed by Raleigh, at 18.1 percent, and Las Vegas, at 17.7 percent.” 

In other words, Vegas has the third fastest population growth among senior citizens as compared to the entire United States. 

Source:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/morning_call/2016/02/forbes-raleigh-has-2nd-fastest-growing-senior.html

Further, the overwhelming consensus amongst those studying the “senior boom” concludes that the city of Las Vegas needs to be altered accordingly to accommodate the aging population, not the other way around.  

But then again, all of the residencies subsequent to POM, which have similarly been intended for Millennials, have proved very successful. So, I suppose since it’s working extremely well at the moment, then arguably the continued trend makes complete sense. It just doesn’t appear to be a viable long-term strategy.

Most of the people that watch Vegas shows are tourists so i think the ageing population won't really be that much of a big deal for the venues.

1 hour ago, solo said:

Everyone keeps saying Britney started the trend. If Celine Dion's "A New Day..." didn't perform was well as it did, Britney might never have gone to Vegas. Celine started the trend.:bedtime:

But before Britney, it used to be seen as a form of retirement. An artist would just go to Vegas to just live of their hits, like the final step of their career.

Ultimately that's kinda what's happening with Britney :tifflmao: but that's another story, at the beginning it was promised she would just keep with her career as any other current artist does.

That's when everybody else started with their residencies too without the fear of being labeled as some hasbeen, because Britney "proved" they don't have to retire or be super old in order to have a show in Vegas, they can keep releasing new material and singles and such.

9 hours ago, solo said:

You’re correct. Celine absolutely started the trend, but Britney undeniably very recently revived it as well. This is a brand-new and well-written article which acknowledges both facts:

https://garage.vice.com/en_us/article/wj3vmz/las-vegas-lady-gaga-drake

“A Las Vegas Residency Is Now Extremely Cool”

Performers from Britney Spears to Lady Gaga to (maybe) Drake have brought the position back to life.

Excerpt:

“All that changed—or did it?—when Celine Dion took the stage at Caesars Palace in March 2003 to debut her residency ‘A New Day…’, a visually and sonically stunning tour de force that was directed by Cirque du Soleil alum Franco Dragone. The cool kids may have turned up their noses, but there’s no denying that ‘A New Day…’ remains the most successful residency of all time, grossing over $385 million over the course of a whopping 717 shows. ‘[Celine] changed the face of modern Vegas,’ Caesars vice president of entertainment Kurt Melien told the Telegraph in 2013. 

And then, of course, there was Britney. After a picture-perfect adolescence followed by an embattled few years in the public eye, the Britney Spears of 2013 seemed like an odd choice to headline a Vegas residency, but Planet Hollywood’s ‘Britney: Piece of Me’ was a critical and commercial success. Spears performed a medley of career hits, from ‘...Baby One More Time’ to ‘Womanizer,’ (in reverse chronological order), referring to the residency in Shape magazine as ‘a massive party from start to finish.’

Twenty years ago, we couldn't have got someone the stature of Britney Spears to appear in Vegas. Stars like her would never have considered it if Celine hadn't paved the way,’ Melien told the Telegraph in 2013. Now, in 2019, Britney is gearing up for yet another Vegas show, to be titled ‘Domination’ and performed at the Park MGM (although, as of January 4, the show has been postponed due to her father’s illness). No less titanic a figure than Lady Gaga, a world-famous pop star and early Oscar contender for her role in A Star is Born, is at the center of her own Vegas spectacular at the Park MGM, and even Drake is rumored to be mulling a Vegas club residency, hinting last Thursday at Wynn Las Vegas’s XS nightclub, ‘Vegas! When I came back, I thought it’d be back at T-Mobile Arena or some (stuff). But I’ll be back here at XS all year. You’ll have a lotta chances to see me.’”

Archived