You Wanna Piece Of Him? Drake Reportedly Readying Las Vegas Residency

Jordan Miller

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? WHY? That makes sense if you are an older (as in highly established) artist, have mental and/or physical conditions which are exacerbated by touring, and/or have a family needing stability, but this would literally be occurring during the peak of Drake’s career. :rlynow:

He will never be this globally relevant again (and is frankly really lucky he made it to begin with, given how musically monotonous and artistically uncreative he is), so why would he want to go waste away in one damn city when he could tour stadiums around the entire world, a la Ed Sheeran, whom consequently enjoyed having the most profitable tour worldwide for 2018?

Also, the demographics of Vegas aren’t exactly aligned with his core audience (I.e., as of the 2018 census, over 14% of the population consists of senior citizens aged 65+, with more than 30% of all newcomers to the city comprised of the elderly. Further, as of 2016, there were 1.38 times more white individuals in Vegas than any other race or ethnicity; the African American population in Vegas remains between 2-4% lower than the national average. Old and white is likely not the phenotypic bulk of the fans attending a Drake show).

Seems very weird to me. But then again, even Bruno Mars did a residency (at MGM?) and he’s also insanely relevant commercially, and doesn’t have any obligations necessitating stability within one locale, either. 

I mean, I’m not a fan of Drake so this doesn’t affect me in the slightest, but I’m just growing alarmed at the possibility that before long all of the biggest artists will be expecting us to come to them, rather than the other way around. It seems kind of shitty to simply assume that fans of an artist will also be able and/or willing to purchase flights, take time off work/school, make hotel reservations, etc., considering that simply purchasing the concert tickets alone is becoming increasingly cost-prohibitive. 

• Super Mods
13 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

What? WHY? That makes sense if you are an older (as in highly established) artist, have mental and/or physical conditions which are exacerbated by touring, and/or have a family needing stability, but this would literally be occurring during the peak of Drake’s career.

He will never be this globally relevant again (and is frankly really lucky he made it to begin with, given how musically monotonous and artistically uncreative he is), so why would he want to go waste away in one damn city when he could tour stadiums around the entire world, a la Ed Sheeran, whom consequently enjoyed having the most profitable tour worldwide for 2018?

Seems very weird to me. But then again, even Bruno Mars did a residency (at MGM?) and he’s also insanely relevant commercially, and doesn’t have any obligations necessitating stability within one locale, either. 

I mean, I’m not a fan of Drake so this doesn’t affect me in the slightest, but I’m just growing alarmed at the possibility that before long all of the biggest artists will be expecting us to come to them, rather than the other way around. It seems kind of shitty to simply assume that fans of an artist will also be able and/or willing to purchase flights, take time off work/school, make hotel reservations, etc., considering that simply purchasing the concert tickets alone is becoming increasingly cost-prohibitive. 

I don’t see it as a big deal, people really gotta get rid of the notion that Vegas is retirement home for entertainers, it used to be that way but Vegas is changing its scene to be more hip and catering more to the young people now hence why it’s natural to have younger acts even at their prime to have a residency because they want young people to come to Vegas. This is a transitional period but eventually, it’s gonna become a norm and people wouldn’t even think it’s a place to waste away in. I mean the last time I went to Vegas more nightclubs were being built and the hotels have become more sleek and modern looking. 

29 minutes ago, LostInAnImage said:

I’m just growing alarmed at the possibility that before long all of the biggest artists will be expecting us to come to them, rather than the other way around. It seems kind of shitty to simply assume that fans of an artist will also be able and/or willing to purchase flights, take time off work/school, make hotel reservations, etc., considering that simply purchasing the concert tickets alone is becoming increasingly cost-prohibitive. 

Is he even touring around the world right now? (I totally ignore it) 

As I was saying in other threads, for some artists like Celine, Elton, and most likely, Britney too, Vegas has become their base city to perform. For other artists, I don't think they'll last more than 2 years, like JLo, Gwen, Ricky Martin (I don't know how much he's been doing Vegas though), Lady Gaga, etc.

Times are constantly changing for the music scene. To be a respectable artist they had to have a hit on the radio, then it was MTV, then it was digital downloads, now is streaming, views. People had to tour and go to festivals, awards performances, but now they have to do at least one residency in Vegas, that's just like the new trend, or it's rapidly becoming the trend (thanks to Britney ;) ) 

For artists is very comfortable to perform in just one place, and they can make a lot of money with the minimum investment of energy, time, etc.

That doesn't mean they'll never leave Vegas, or they'll never tour again.

And even if it becomes the trend I really doubt people like Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande are getting a residency in the near future. So people will still have plenty of other artists that are still touring around the world in the years to come :yaknow:

34 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

I don’t see it as a big deal, people really gotta get rid of the notion that Vegas is retirement home for entertainers, it used to be that way but Vegas is changing its scene to be more hip and catering more to the young people now hence why it’s natural to have younger acts even at their prime to have a residency because they want young people to come to Vegas. This is a transitional period but eventually, it’s gonna become a norm and people wouldn’t even think it’s a place to waste away in. I mean the last time I went to Vegas more nightclubs were being built and the hotels have become more sleek and modern looking. 

Well, while I do understand (and agree) the demographic data isn't entirely straightforward simply due to the massive year-round influx of young tourists that impact the economy significantly, this 2018 article by Forbes specifically mentions Vegas as one of the most rapidly aging cities in the entire United States:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2016/02/16/americas-senior-moment-the-most-rapidly-aging-cities/#a4aeaec53e5e

And this article from 2010 accurately predicted the accelerated population growth of senior citizens in Vegas, and projected it will only continue until the demographics of the state are akin to another retirement destination:

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jan/03/new-and-older-demographic/

Excerpt from another article:

“Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey, Forbes ranked the 53 largest U.S. metros based on the rate of growth of the senior population from 2010 to 2014. Atlanta saw the highest growth, at 20 percent, followed by Raleigh, at 18.1 percent, and Las Vegas, at 17.7 percent.” 

In other words, Vegas has the third fastest population growth among senior citizens as compared to the entire United States. 

Source:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/morning_call/2016/02/forbes-raleigh-has-2nd-fastest-growing-senior.html

Further, the overwhelming consensus amongst those studying the “senior boom” concludes that the city of Las Vegas needs to be altered accordingly to accommodate the aging population, not the other way around.  

But then again, all of the residencies subsequent to POM, which have similarly been intended for Millennials, have proved very successful. So, I suppose since it’s working extremely well at the moment, then arguably the continued trend makes complete sense. It just doesn’t appear to be a viable long-term strategy.

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Well the impact is real but where the hell is the impact on her own career,  I mean :nochillbrit:

At this point, we have to start thinking that Britney at any time will stop making music and being an artists. :wontcry:

She is approaching 40 and I don't see that she wants to continue unfortunately. I don't see some kind of Madonna on her, just to name someone.

• Super Mods
2 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Well, while I do understand (and agree) the demographic data isn't entirely straightforward simply due to the massive year-round influx of young tourists that impact the economy significantly, this 2018 article by Forbes specifically mentions Vegas as one of the most rapidly aging cities in the entire United States:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2016/02/16/americas-senior-moment-the-most-rapidly-aging-cities/#a4aeaec53e5e

And this article from 2010 accurately predicted the accelerated population growth of senior citizens in Vegas, and projected it will only continue until the demographics of the state are akin to another retirement destination:

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jan/03/new-and-older-demographic/

Excerpt from another article:

“Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey, Forbes ranked the 53 largest U.S. metros based on the rate of growth of the senior population from 2010 to 2014. Atlanta saw the highest growth, at 20 percent, followed by Raleigh, at 18.1 percent, and Las Vegas, at 17.7 percent.” 

In other words, Vegas has the third fastest population growth among senior citizens as compared to the entire United States. 

Source:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/morning_call/2016/02/forbes-raleigh-has-2nd-fastest-growing-senior.html

Further, the overwhelming consensus amongst those studying the “senior boom” concludes that the city of Las Vegas needs to be altered accordingly to accommodate the aging population, not the other way around.  

But then again, all of the residencies subsequent to POM, which have similarly been intended for Millennials, have proved very successful. So, I suppose since it’s working extremely well at the moment, then arguably the continued trend makes complete sense. It just doesn’t appear to be a viable long-term strategy.

Yeah you’re right about that but I think Vegas is trying to forcefully change cuz even with the senior demographic, the city is still not drawing in a lot. I think for any artists it doesn’t matter long term or not, they take a few months out of their schedule do some shows, stay in the finest suites relax for an additional day or two rather than get up early the next day to go to the next city plus get paid a lot, it’s definitely enticing and easy money so I can see Vegas cycling through many hot artists rather than long term like Celine or Britney.  

54 minutes ago, Mr_Steven_Spears said:

Britney set the trend and people called her a has been when she announced Pom :whatitellu:

Britney always sets trends. She ushered in the Britney bots which gave rise to the anti Britney's i.e. Pink, Gaga, Adele, lorde. Then she made no promo a thing. Beyoncé followed and now most artists stopped doing promo anymore.

11 hours ago, Body ache said:

Britney always sets trends. She ushered in the Britney bots which gave rise to the anti Britney's i.e. Pink, Gaga, Adele, lorde. Then she made no promo a thing. Beyoncé followed and now most artists stopped doing promo anymore.

The “anti-Britney” thing happened much earlier than the emergence of the artists you mentioned, with the exception of Pink. The true “Anti-Britney” trend exploded with Avril Lavigne and the many similar singer-songwriter artists she spawned, like Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, and Ashlee Simpson, for example:

https://ew.com/article/2002/11/01/avril-lavigne-anti-britney/

https://www.houstonpress.com/music/the-anti-britney-6560238

Gaga has definitely never been an “anti-Britney,” as her first era was intentionally very much all about the traditional popstar ideal, and she’s always cited Britney as a huge inspiration:

lady-gaga-lovegame-best-dance-videos.gif

And of course, they’ve literally even recorded the exact same songs (I.e., Telephone), while Gaga was also the writer and background vocalist for Britney on Quicksand. But it’s been over a decade since Gaga’s debut, and she’s obviously artistically evolved since then.

Adele also isn't what I would consider “anti-Britney” because she's an adult contemporary, (primarily ballad) vocalist who became internationally huge well after the all-encompassing presence of Britney circa 2002 naturally resulted in people embracing the opposite.

Basically, Adele is not appealing to people based upon the fact that she's an entirely different type of artist than Britney, but due to her talent and type of songs that benefit from a ton of crossover in terms of the demographic of listeners. Plus, she’s also a huge Britney fan as well.

The majority of the actual “anti-Britney” pop (or “pop-rock”) girls frequently either outright or passive-aggressively dissed Britney and/or Christina during their peaks because it constantly affirmed the ridiculous “I’m so morally superior because I don’t show cleavage” narrative their success was contingent upon. For example, this is what Avril said during an interview promoting her second record:

“I get fan letters like all the time … and pretty much every letter just talks about, ‘Thank you for not being Britney Spears. I love how you’re yourself and you stand up and you’re strong,’ ” she says in a little girl’s voice. “I came out and I was myself, dressing, like, my own way.”

:sofedup:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2004/may/30/the-anti-britney/

And this was an interview during promo for her first album. She was so damn sanctimonious:

”Have you seen Christina’s video?” she interrupts. Lavigne screws her face into a yucked-out expression at the mere thought of the queasy combination of featherweight boxing, soft-core ****, and bad plumbing in Aguilera’s new ”Dirrty” video (see page 27). ”Poor girl,” she whispers.

:ririshade2:

What an interesting trend this is becoming. I honestly thought it was a strange move when Britney did it, but I don’t know. Drake seems like an odd choice.

Britney’s Circus and FF eras were both so commercially successful yet with FF her performance skills were dropping rapidly (let’s be honest here). I wouldn’t say she was at her “peak” at this point but it was most certainly a long lasting impact from her comeback. But when she announced Vegas it seemed so soon. Vegas still had the “I’m a has been” connotation to it, yet Britney proved that didn’t have to be the case with her successful residency. However when other artists started to announce their residencies (Jlo, BSB, Gaga, Gwen, even Mariah) it made sense for them. Britney didn’t necessarily usher in “young and hip” artists, rather artists who have been established long in their careers that don’t really have anything more to prove. I hate to put it this way, but artists who are on the cusps of “non relevancy” in terms of sales. Their brands are established and can still be milked.

An artist who is at his career peak like Drake looking into this is surprising and could potentially bring in stars of HIS caliber to Vegas if this is successful. It would be like if Ariana Grande got a residency right now. It’s just a strange move, but I can definitely see it working out.

Does anyone else get what I’m saying?

49 minutes ago, Pinty said:

lmao @Avril Lavigne and how she later become a bubblegum artist and even funnier all this pre-teens that swore they would be emos forever. They are probably working in a office

Yeah, she lacks all sense of self-awareness and seemingly doesn’t realize how hypocritical she always has been.

Expectation:

“[T]he way Britney dresses, would you walk round the street in a f------ bra? You won’t see me on stage in a **** outfit or my hair in ribbons. If that’s what someone wants to do then so be it, but I wouldn’t be seen dead looking like that.” —Avril Lavigne

Reality:

avril-lavigne-maxim-5.jpg

avril-lavigne-maxim-6.jpg

rosie-huntington-whiteley-12.jpg

avril-lavigne-maxim-3.jpg

avril-lavigne-1600x1200-26454.jpg

707-C0153-4-F47-4547-A010-F46-A71-E8-CDC

D6-E252-C0-1-D24-4373-BDA6-6076-C56093-F

Avril LaLiar :jj:

And as a bonus, she actually even had a freaking ribbon in her hair only three years after that quote I posted above:

FC61030-D-C94-D-4379-9-F21-CDAA084252-EB

1 hour ago, studlygeorge said:

An artist who is at his career peak like Drake looking into this is surprising and could potentially bring in stars of HIS caliber to Vegas if this is successful. It would be like if Ariana Grande got a residency right now. It’s just a strange move, but I can definitely see it working out.

Unlike Ariana Drake has already plenty songs to build residency. :yaknow:

1 hour ago, LostInAnImage said:

Yeah, she lacks all sense of self-awareness and seemingly doesn’t realize how hypocritical she always has been.

Expectation:

“[T]he way Britney dresses, would you walk round the street in a f------ bra? You won’t see me on stage in a **** outfit or my hair in ribbons. If that’s what someone wants to do then so be it, but I wouldn’t be seen dead looking like that.” —Avril Lavigne

Reality:

avril-lavigne-maxim-5.jpg

avril-lavigne-maxim-6.jpg

rosie-huntington-whiteley-12.jpg

avril-lavigne-maxim-3.jpg

avril-lavigne-1600x1200-26454.jpg

707-C0153-4-F47-4547-A010-F46-A71-E8-CDC

D6-E252-C0-1-D24-4373-BDA6-6076-C56093-F

Avril LaLiar :jj:

And as a bonus, she actually even had a freaking ribbon in her hair only three years after that quote I posted above:

FC61030-D-C94-D-4379-9-F21-CDAA084252-EB

Avril was being what the label wanted to be at the time which was the "Anti Britney"

That was never really her at the end of the day

Archived