I am over the nostalgia

Cigarettes&Cologne

1 hour ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I’ve been collecting for like, ever. It’s so much fun even if it does cost a good amount of money. It’s so worth it. 

I have all of her albums, GH/compilations, singles, DVDs, Promos and EPs on physical discs. Different versions and special edition/release. Some different versions of a few albums too.  And I usually get the Japanese version of each album cuz they have the most and exclusive bonus tracks. I have a lot of cool, weird and rare stuff. I buy from a lot of people all across the world. 

I also have a lot of merch. I love her early 2000s era merch  it’s so creative and gorgeous. Backpacks, stickers, dolls, collectibles, perfumes (the only ones that matter), cards, toys, kinda everything. I wanted my collection to be eclectic but nice and diverse in terms of how she was displayed during each different album cycle. It’s real cool. But I already need a bigger display case for it. 

And I also have a lot of fan made stuff to supplement my main collection. Britney doesn’t really do CD singles anymore and hadn’t had a DVD since 2011. So BSFM Gavin has, of course been so helpful with everything. Like the secret weapon of any Britney Collector. 

:airpls:

Have you been collecting since the beginning? If so, was there a point where you decided to turn it into a serious hobby? What are some of the weirder/cooler stuff? What’s like the most prized object from your collection? 

:OMGney:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

That’s the thing. Too much hype, especially from MTV. Britney’s VMAs prior to 2007 were iconic because they were impactful. Everybody knows this. By referencing those performances as part of the hype leading up to 2016, we viewers were set up to expect something with oomph from Britney. 

The VMAS 2016 was simply, okay. Not disastrous. She hit her marks, and looked good. I don’t care about Beyonce or how much it helped her on the charts afterwards. Those are separate issues. It should have at least been better than her BBMAs 2016,  because VMAS in general are superior than the BBMAs. 

I can't believe that this came out of your mouth. We stan a stan that acknowledges reality.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:38 PM, Ringleader34 said:

Who do think is flying to Vegas to see her?  Kids and parents?  Nope.  I don’t expect us to be the only ones supporting her but I sure as hell don’t want her to catering to tweens - I don’t care if they like her though.

As someone past the age of 30, I understand why you’d feel that way towards her current teen fan base. Britney is no longer at the point in her career where she needs to be chasing trends and actively courting the younger crowd. She’s done her fair share of dominating the charts.

At the same time, I do think Britney needs to maintain some sort of connection with the current youths, in order to remain somewhat relevant in today’s market. She is still young in the grand scheme of things, and hopefully has more miles in terms of her career. I like to believe she does, despite what some fans complain about her being a has-been. It’s really up to the current youths when it comes to relevancy in pop culture. They’re the active consumers that really keep pop acts alive. 

12 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

As someone past the age of 30, I understand why you’d feel that way towards her current teen fan base. Britney is no longer at the point in her career where she needs to be chasing trends and actively courting the younger crowd. She’s done her fair share of dominating the charts.

At the same time, I do think Britney needs to maintain some sort of connection with the current youths, in order to remain somewhat relevant in today’s market. She is still young in the grand scheme of things, and hopefully has more miles in terms of her career. I like to believe she does, despite what some fans complain about her being a has-been. It’s really up to the current youths when it comes to relevancy in pop culture. They’re the active consumers that really keep pop acts alive. 

As long as it doesn’t look desperate to be “hip” and collaborating with flavors of the month.

2 minutes ago, Ringleader34 said:

As long as it doesn’t look desperate to be “hip” and collaborating with flavors of the month.

Oh god no. I’ve said this time and time again, I’m DONE with the trendy collaborations or any collaborations for that matter. Britney has plenty of star power to carry her own. Unless it’s with Janet or missy or another major icon. 

40 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

The conscious stan jumped out.

50 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

Britney still makes music that can appeal to the youth

32 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

Oh god no. I’ve said this time and time again, I’m DONE with the trendy collaborations or any collaborations for that matter. Britney has plenty of star power to carry her own. Unless it’s with Janet or missy or another major icon. 

And I’d welcome those collaborations!  

3 minutes ago, Ringleader34 said:

And I’d welcome those collaborations!  

I mean, it’s mind boggling to think that Britney and Missy have not collaborated already. They’ve performed on the same stage before. Missy is an icon in her own right, and a collaboration would benefit both parties. She’s expressed her interest on social media. And she’s constantly giving love to Britney on IG. Missy is full of good vibes I really think Team B shouldn’t sleep on this. For the love of god!

:yesplease:

I kinda get you, but what did you want, a Glory cassette? lol

I love nostalgia, and I don't think it should go away, but I do agree there SHOULD be new stuff too. She's a brand and we always talk about her legacy and such, so I wouldn't like her to just move on and forget about everything that she did before, what made her Britney Spears.

That reminds me of the Circus Tour for example. She ditched classics like Oops, Crazy, etc, and it felt kind of sad.

The problem here, which have been known since the Vegas era, is the lack of new singles. Ya'll bashed Britney Jean, but that was the album she put out, and it should've been promoted properly all throughout 2014. Maybe it wasn't her best album, but if she released more singles from it, it would've been the perfect excuse to keep renovating the POM setlist as the new singles were coming out, and even if they didn't top the Billboard charts she would've kept current on the music scene. And the same thing happened with Glory.

So I know, we all know, it's up to them the lack of promo or release strategies, and they're the ones to blame for the lack of success of her last two albums, but they don't see it that way. The only message they get from this is that people, as in general public, isn't here for her new songs, they're here for the nostalgia and that's why POM kept selling. Why even focus on the new stuff, why even rush a new release if it's gonna have the same fate.

Personally I think her residency would keep selling even if it was all new songs, even if the general public left confused and disappointed at the end of the show, for not listening their favorite classic Britney song, they would all go in the first place ignoring this, so everything would be the same. But for them it must be a huge risk to take that decision.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:46 AM, ToxicMadLove said:

Yup 8 hours 5 days a week at one job then directly to a 12 Hour shift Thursday Friday’s :ugh:

I’m honestly shocked at how many people do this. I am currently in the same boat but didn’t realize I wasn’t so alone.

ive met numerous people working 2 jobs and over 60 hours a week just to make it.

Lol

5 minutes ago, naturalplayboy said:

I’m honestly shocked at how many people do this. I am currently in the same boat but didn’t realize I wasn’t so alone.

ive met numerous people working 2 jobs and over 60 hours a week just to make it.

Lol

Being a Britney fan ain’t cheap! Lmao jk. It’s really to feed my coffee addiction:sipney:

6 hours ago, Cappycorn87 said:

The public did care as Itunes showed which shows what the public  checks for

It’s great to see the public checking on Britney, based on this iTunes tidbit. But the moment was fleeting which isn’t surprising in today’s fast-paced culture. 

In retrospect, one of the major things that stood out about the Glory era was the lack of momentum. The VMAS 2016 were on August 28th, which generated interest in Glory. Her promotional appearances during the next month or so was decent, which did help sell the lead single and album to some degree. But why was the second single and video released in the middle of November? That seems like way too much time between the first and second single. People are fickle and do not pay attention for long these days. Any momentum from MM promos had fizzled out by then, which was really unfortunate because Slumber Party Video was a career highlight for her in recent years. This was the Britney that the GP needed to see: polished, elevated, expensive, and artistic, and unlike the tragic MM video. Ugh. 

I miss the days of the proper era. 

14 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I kinda get you, but what did you want, a Glory cassette? lol

I love nostalgia, and I don't think it should go away, but I do agree there SHOULD be new stuff too. She's a brand and we always talk about her legacy and such, so I wouldn't like her to just move on and forget about everything that she did before, what made her Britney Spears.

That reminds me of the Circus Tour for example. She ditched classics like Oops, Crazy, etc, and it felt kind of sad.

The problem here, which have been known since the Vegas era, is the lack of new singles. Ya'll bashed Britney Jean, but that was the album she put out, and it should've been promoted properly all throughout 2014. Maybe it wasn't her best album, but if she released more singles from it, it would've been the perfect excuse to keep renovating the POM setlist as the new singles were coming out, and even if they didn't top the Billboard charts she would've kept current on the music scene. And the same thing happened with Glory.

So I know, we all know, it's up to them the lack of promo or release strategies, and they're the ones to blame for the lack of success of her last two albums, but they don't see it that way. The only message they get from this is that people, as in general public, isn't here for her new songs, they're here for the nostalgia and that's why POM kept selling. Why even focus on the new stuff, why even rush a new release if it's gonna have the same fate.

Personally I think her residency would keep selling even if it was all new songs, even if the general public left confused and disappointed at the end of the show, for not listening their favorite classic Britney song, they would all go in the first place ignoring this, so everything would be the same. But for them it must be a huge risk to take that decision.

I agree with you. The problem is that if they're gonna sell the product as legacy then she should try her best. I know, you know and everyone here knows that she will not be Primeney because we follow her closely but the GP doesn't and that's where the problem comes: GP looking forward to see Primeney because that's what they remember but they don't get that in return for paying a ticket. I think she's capable of dancing, she has shown that with the rehearsal videos she uploads to Instagram but it doesn't show when she's on stage. If she's not capable of becoming Primeney, at least try to get the closest you can, this is just a matter of input from her. It's very obvious that everything her team does is rushed and turns into a mess at the end.

Some fans, including me, are very critical of what she does onstage or what her team does because it's tarnishing her legacy. So, how you're gonna sell yourself through legacy if you don't deliver 50% of what you used to be? We know she's capable of a lot of things so why she doesn't do them? And that's when we get mad and everything is kinda hard. The expectation bar is so low for the fanbase but that's because the Army has let them get away with that.

45 minutes ago, Khoazie said:

It’s great to see the public checking on Britney, based on this iTunes tidbit. But the moment was fleeting which isn’t surprising in today’s fast-paced culture. 

In retrospect, one of the major things that stood out about the Glory era was the lack of momentum. The VMAS 2016 were on August 28th, which generated interest in Glory. Her promotional appearances during the next month or so was decent, which did help sell the lead single and album to some degree. But why was the second single and video released in the middle of November? That seems like way too much time between the first and second single. People are fickle and do not pay attention for long these days. Any momentum from MM promos had fizzled out by then, which was really unfortunate because Slumber Party Video was a career highlight for her in recent years. This was the Britney that the GP needed to see: polished, elevated, expensive, and artistic, and unlike the tragic MM video. Ugh. 

I miss the days of the proper era. 

Radio gave up on Slumber Party too soon

9 hours ago, Khoazie said:

That’s the thing. Too much hype, especially from MTV. Britney’s VMAs prior to 2007 were iconic because they were impactful. Everybody knows this. By referencing those performances as part of the hype leading up to 2016, we viewers were set up to expect something with oomph from Britney. 

The VMAS 2016 was simply, okay. Not disastrous. She hit her marks, and looked good. I don’t care about Beyonce or how much it helped her on the charts afterwards. Those are separate issues. It should have at least been better than her BBMAs 2016,  because VMAS in general are superior to the BBMAs. 

I mean, with this commercial....

They were pretty much asking for hell if the performance was anything but average. Unfortunately, it was ONLY average. No, it was not a bad Britney performance. But for what it was sold as here and what it was supposed to mean to her as a whole -- and yes, the fact that she did so much better months before at the BBMAs -- it was weak.

(And same about Bey and the whole stupid chart argument; I've been sick of hearing that tired *** argument since 2016, and I didn't care back then, either. Lmao.)

3 hours ago, fucknfurter said:

I mean, with this commercial....

They were pretty much asking for hell if the performance was anything but average. Unfortunately, it was ONLY average. No, it was not a bad Britney performance. But for what it was sold as here and what it was supposed to mean to her as a whole -- and yes, the fact that she did so much better months before at the BBMAs -- it was weak.

(And same about Bey and the whole stupid chart argument; I've been sick of hearing that tired *** argument since 2016, and I didn't care back then, either. Lmao.)

And let's not forget about the Make Me video issue.   Whether people thought the video was going to be good or bad it was going, the least going to be attention-grabbing/controversial. 

That kind of set the stage for the whole era and as a result, one cannot be surprised at her lack of relevance now.

And there is the lip-sync issue.  I think one reason lots of her peers today don't call her out on lip-syncing is because almost all of them do it; they prerecord their vocals but it's still lip-syncing.

Britney arguably should pre-record her vocals (at least the choruses) and/or sing verses live.

1 minute ago, zxcvb said:

And there is the lip-sync issue.  I think one reason lots of her peers today don't call her out on lip-syncing is because almost all of them do it; they prerecord their vocals but it's still lip-syncing.

Britney arguably should pre-record her vocals (at least the choruses) and/or sing verses live.

This is a problem. I don’t understand why Team B cannot get Britney into a studio for like, a day or two, lay down the new vocals for some of her older hits at least. Is it about getting her into the studio? 

Archived