I am over the nostalgia

Cigarettes&Cologne

2 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

I've often wondered if THAT is why the original Make Me video was yanked -- because it was TOO GOOD and she wasn't ready to come out of semi-retirement to support it. So they canned it before it absolutely blew up, and replaced it with the mediocre video that we got. 

Delusional? Probably. But I still can't wrap my head around the way her Team mishandled the promotion of Glory. :wontcry:

This is true.  Despite all of the setbacks, she was about to be big again before the Make Me video. 

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the Billboard performance, she was getting lots of hype right after that.  And then the Make Me video happened and then her team subsequently agreed to book her after Beyonce at the VMAs.

So it was all totally sabotaged.

So nobody can really be surprised at her irrelevance now.  It's just what she wants, I guess contrary to her fans.  So she isn't concerned about losing fans.

But she cannot make a real 'artistic' album/music unless she is independent.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Make Me was going to go top 10 on hot100 had radio not given up  on the song. 

So it was only the fans that gave that song a huge jump on iTunes the night of the VMA, show watched by millions, after her performance.

Does not look like the public is tired

But reality is that it didn't go top 10 :raven:.

Radio gave up on the song because GP didn't care about it. Radio plays what people wants to listen or plays song that got payola treatment and Make Me didn't get neither of those.

You're glorifying that "huge jump on iTunes" when it lasted like two minutes before free falling and iTunes is fading to the background in the streaming era so it's not a big accomplishment. Come back again when you get the receipts that she got a huge jump on Spotify because of the VMAs because since 2016 Spotify/Apple Music >>>> iTunes. Stop your delusion, Caprisun, cause it makes you look stupid.

9 minutes ago, LEMONADEGLORY said:

But reality is that it didn't go top 10 :raven:.

Radio gave up on the song because GP didn't care about it. Radio plays what people wants to listen or plays song that got payola treatment.

You're glorifying that "huge jump on iTunes" when it lasted like two minutes before free falling and iTunes is fading to the background in the streaming era so it's not a big accomplishment. Come back again when you get the receipts that she got a huge jump on Spotify because of the VMAs because since 2016 Spotify/Apple Music >>>> iTunes. Stop your delusion, Caprisun, cause it makes you look stupid.

The public did care as Itunes showed which shows what the public  checks for

3 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

The public did care as Itunes showed which shows what the public  checks for

Are you gonna stop with that lame overused excuse? People is not checking for Britney outside her fans, CapriSun. You need to understand that. She's not appealing anymore to the GP because she's not offering something worthy when you have a lot of artists that sing live and deliver a decent show. She's a nostalgia act lipping to 20 years old vocals. The delusion that you have is out of this world.

3 hours ago, zxcvb said:

This is true.  Despite all of the setbacks, she was about to be big again before the Make Me video. 

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the Billboard performance, she was getting lots of hype right after that.  And then the Make Me video happened and then her team subsequently agreed to book her after Beyonce at the VMAs.

So it was all totally sabotaged.

So nobody can really be surprised at her irrelevance now.  It's just what she wants, I guess contrary to her fans.  So she isn't concerned about losing fans.

But she cannot make a real 'artistic' album/music unless she is independent.

Will you folks stop mentioning Beyonce 

She never had no effect on Britney, none of her songs went back in the top 10 that night with that long performance. 

25 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Will you folks stop mentioning Beyonce 

She never had no effect on Britney, none of her songs went back in the top 10 that night with that long performance. 

"She never had no effect on Britney"

" It was built up to be Britney’s big comeback, but in her first time on the VMA stage since her shambolic 2007 performance, the princess of pop was well and truly outclassed by Queen Bey.

When held up against Beyonce’s incendiary feminist performance, Britney’s stint onstage seemed like a melancholy throwback to the less empowering side of pop music"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/beyonc-slays-drake-loves-rihanna-and-britney-doesnt-mess-up-ever/

"But all of it, every last bit, felt more than a little lackluster after Beyoncé had blown the roof off the place.

In a vacuum, Britney did great for Britney. Out of the vacuum, she was third-best at most, on what any other night would have belonged to Rihanna anyway. 

But MTV, perhaps incidentally, perhaps deftly, preempted any real disappointment in Britney by turning her into an after-thought in the moment, after so much thought had gone into the anticipation. Instead, the angst was over why she went on right after Beyoncé, after Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, putting it on as hype men who are too social media savvy for their own good, had already eulogized the millions of people stopped dead in their tracks after Bey had slayed. Why couldn't she at least have performed before?"

https://www.eonline.com/news/790741/why-britney-spears-followed-beyonce-at-the-2016-mtv-video-music-awards

"Then it was Britney's turn. And whoever scheduled Sunday evening's lineup obviously did not have Brit's best interests at heart, because her act paled in comparison to Bey's."

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2016/08/121564/britney-spears-vma-performance-after-beyonce-reactions

" When Beyoncé kills a 16-minute re-creation of much of Lemonade, nailing every note while dancing her *** off, how can you look at Britney Spears lip-synch her way through a song—often missing the words—and not be a little embarrassed for her?

Artistry is being judged at a whole other level once Beyoncé walks into a room.

While I’d say that there was an overall level of stiffness to her performance, there was also more polish than we’ve seen from her since her MTV glory days.

We think of Britney Spears with such fond nostalgia because of those great moments, that star quality, that bubblegum pop perfection. But in these past nine years she has been usurped by the artists who, perhaps at one point, measured their MTV and VMAs successes against hers.

The rhetoric around Spears’s return to the VMAs stage insinuated that she is some elder statesman, maybe a retiree coming back to the field for a special event. But Beyoncé and Britney Spears are the same age. These are her contemporaries. When they’re executing on such a higher level, how much slack do we give Britney Spears?I wrote about this a bit in my admittedly charitable review of Glory, which is certainly Spears’s best album in over a decade but, while a welcome return to musical form for Spears, is a far cry from the artistic masterpieces that Rihanna, Kanye West, and Beyoncé released this past year.

There was no grand ambition, or meaningful cultural statement being made. It was just music that sounded like something Britney Spears would make, and that is fun and fine. That she could make music that seemed sort of her, that was uncomplicated, and sound like she was actually having fun doing it, was wonderful. It meant that she was back.But the jarring contrast in the quality and difficulty of their performances raises a question about the kind of entertainment Spears offers and, however nostalgic we might say we are for it, whether there’s still a place in the evolving pop landscape for it."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mtv-just-embarrassed-britney-spears-at-the-vmas

" The 34-year-old performed Make Me from her new album Glory but faced criticism on social media for lip-syncing on stage - and doing it badly.While some review’s called the mother-of-two’s comeback ‘triumphant’, AP said Spears struggled to match Beyonce’s performance."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/britney-spears-lip-syncs-during-vmas-comeback---how-the-internet/

"Beyonce proved once again she is the contemporary rock star, and she used the MTV Video Music Awards stage to showcase her skills and outshine her peers, from Rihanna to Britney Spears.Beyonce's top-notch performance starkly contrasted with that of Spears, who returned to the VMA stage after 10 years. Not only did she lip sync, in typical fashion, but she did so badly. Spears performed her hit "Make Me..." and danced slickly, but she didn't actually sing a word of the song live. She was joined by rapper G-Eazy -- and she lip synched the hook to his hit song, "Me, Myself and I.""

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/beyonce-shines-but-britney-bombs-at-mtv-video-music-awards

What more proof do you need to acknowledge and accept that Beyoncé DID have an effect on Britney that day?

12 minutes ago, LEMONADEGLORY said:

"She never had no effect on Britney"

" It was built up to be Britney’s big comeback, but in her first time on the VMA stage since her shambolic 2007 performance, the princess of pop was well and truly outclassed by Queen Bey.

When held up against Beyonce’s incendiary feminist performance, Britney’s stint onstage seemed like a melancholy throwback to the less empowering side of pop music"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/beyonc-slays-drake-loves-rihanna-and-britney-doesnt-mess-up-ever/

"But all of it, every last bit, felt more than a little lackluster after Beyoncé had blown the roof off the place.

In a vacuum, Britney did great for Britney. Out of the vacuum, she was third-best at most, on what any other night would have belonged to Rihanna anyway. 

But MTV, perhaps incidentally, perhaps deftly, preempted any real disappointment in Britney by turning her into an after-thought in the moment, after so much thought had gone into the anticipation. Instead, the angst was over why she went on right after Beyoncé, after Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele, putting it on as hype men who are too social media savvy for their own good, had already eulogized the millions of people stopped dead in their tracks after Bey had slayed. Why couldn't she at least have performed before?"

https://www.eonline.com/news/790741/why-britney-spears-followed-beyonce-at-the-2016-mtv-video-music-awards

"Then it was Britney's turn. And whoever scheduled Sunday evening's lineup obviously did not have Brit's best interests at heart, because her act paled in comparison to Bey's."

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2016/08/121564/britney-spears-vma-performance-after-beyonce-reactions

" When Beyoncé kills a 16-minute re-creation of much of Lemonade, nailing every note while dancing her *** off, how can you look at Britney Spears lip-synch her way through a song—often missing the words—and not be a little embarrassed for her?

Artistry is being judged at a whole other level once Beyoncé walks into a room.

While I’d say that there was an overall level of stiffness to her performance, there was also more polish than we’ve seen from her since her MTV glory days.

We think of Britney Spears with such fond nostalgia because of those great moments, that star quality, that bubblegum pop perfection. But in these past nine years she has been usurped by the artists who, perhaps at one point, measured their MTV and VMAs successes against hers.

The rhetoric around Spears’s return to the VMAs stage insinuated that she is some elder statesman, maybe a retiree coming back to the field for a special event. But Beyoncé and Britney Spears are the same age. These are her contemporaries. When they’re executing on such a higher level, how much slack do we give Britney Spears?I wrote about this a bit in my admittedly charitable review of Glory, which is certainly Spears’s best album in over a decade but, while a welcome return to musical form for Spears, is a far cry from the artistic masterpieces that Rihanna, Kanye West, and Beyoncé released this past year.

There was no grand ambition, or meaningful cultural statement being made. It was just music that sounded like something Britney Spears would make, and that is fun and fine. That she could make music that seemed sort of her, that was uncomplicated, and sound like she was actually having fun doing it, was wonderful. It meant that she was back.But the jarring contrast in the quality and difficulty of their performances raises a question about the kind of entertainment Spears offers and, however nostalgic we might say we are for it, whether there’s still a place in the evolving pop landscape for it."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mtv-just-embarrassed-britney-spears-at-the-vmas

The funny thing about all that nonsense was that Britney was not worried or thinking about Beyonce.  A radio DJ stupidly asked her if she was nervous about going on after Beyonce and she said no.  While you folks made big noise about Britney going on after Beyonce, Britney was unfazed because she's not threatened by her peers.

Britney came and gave a great performance that night of her song which seen a huge spike on iTunes, the second song performed that night that seen a spike on iTunes up against more current acts.

9 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

The funny thing about all that nonsense was that Britney was not worried or thinking about Beyonce.  A radio DJ stupidly asked her if she was nervous about going on after Beyonce and she said no.  While you folks made big noise about Britney going on after Beyonce, Britney was unfazed because she's not threatened by her peers.

Britney came and gave a great performance that night of her song which seen a huge spike on iTunes, the second song performed that night that seen a spike on iTunes up against more current acts.

Nobody is talking about if she was worried or thinking about Beyoncé BUT we have this:

https://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/index.php?/topic/764256-britney-low-key-freaked-out-before-a-'piece-of-me'-show-after-discovering-beyonce-and-jay-z-were-there/

What is nonsense to you? The fact that the press said that she had a so-so performance compared to Beyoncé? I've stated facts WITH RECEIPTS and you just avoid to do that. Nonsense is all the stupid and lame excuses that you give.

11 minutes ago, LEMONADEGLORY said:

Nobody is talking about if she was worried or thinking about Beyoncé BUT we have this:

https://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/index.php?/topic/764256-britney-low-key-freaked-out-before-a-'piece-of-me'-show-after-discovering-beyonce-and-jay-z-were-there/

What is nonsense to you? The fact that the press said that she had a so-so performance compared to Beyoncé? I've stated facts WITH RECEIPTS and you just avoid to do that. Nonsense is all the stupid and lame excuses that you give.

What does that have to do with Britney performance.

Britney was not pressed or worried about Beyonce like that so most of you were making all that noise for nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Britney was not pressed or worried about Beyonce like that so most of you were making all that noise for nothing. 

We were making all that noise because it was ******* lackluster as hell for the hype MTV and even Britney herself built it up to be, its as simple as that. Who cares about Bey's performance.

10 minutes ago, Cappycorn87 said:

NOBODY SAID THAT SHE WAS PRESSED OR WORRIED. ARE YOU DUMB OR WHAT? We said that Beyoncé DID have an effect on Britney because all the media praised her performance and said that Britney was lackluster and average. Not that she had an effect directly on her wellbeing. Gosh, I can't believe and I refuse to believe that you're human.

And I linked you to that thread to let you know that Britney worries when Beyoncé is there and she's about to perform. Bye *****.

32 minutes ago, LEMONADEGLORY said:

NOBODY SAID THAT SHE WAS PRESSED OR WORRIED. ARE YOU DUMB OR WHAT? We said that Beyoncé DID have an effect on Britney because all the media praised her performance and said that Britney was lackluster and average. Not that she had an effect directly on her wellbeing. Gosh, I can't believe and I refuse to believe that you're human.

And I linked you to that thread to let you know that Britney worries when Beyoncé is there and she's about to perform. Bye *****.

Beyonce never had an effect on Britney

Just folks making something out of nothing

She was nervous about Beyonce and Jay-Z being at her show as I'm sure she is about other celebs who attend her show.

Just now, Cappycorn87 said:

Beyonce never had an effect on Britney

Just folks making something out of nothing

She was nervous about Beyonce and Jay-Z being at her show as I'm sure she is about other celebs who attend her show.

Yes she did have an effect. If Beyoncé didn't perform at the VMAs, Britney's performance would be praised a little bit and not compared to Beyoncé's. Bye.

6 hours ago, Khoazie said:

Oooh I’d love to see your collection. As much of a stan as I am, I never got into memorabilia and merchandise. I have a few things here and there like old magazines, and stuff like that. But it’s always cool to see the fans who avidly collect. 

I’ve been collecting for like, ever. It’s so much fun even if it does cost a good amount of money. It’s so worth it. 

I have all of her albums, GH/compilations, singles, DVDs, Promos and EPs on physical discs. Different versions and special edition/release. Some different versions of a few albums too.  And I usually get the Japanese version of each album cuz they have the most and exclusive bonus tracks. I have a lot of cool, weird and rare stuff. I buy from a lot of people all across the world. 

I also have a lot of merch. I love her early 2000s era merch  it’s so creative and gorgeous. Backpacks, stickers, dolls, collectibles, perfumes (the only ones that matter), cards, toys, kinda everything. I wanted my collection to be eclectic but nice and diverse in terms of how she was displayed during each different album cycle. It’s real cool. But I already need a bigger display case for it. 

And I also have a lot of fan made stuff to supplement my main collection. Britney doesn’t really do CD singles anymore and hadn’t had a DVD since 2011. So BSFM Gavin has, of course been so helpful with everything. Like the secret weapon of any Britney Collector. 

1 minute ago, LEMONADEGLORY said:

Pressed folks? Dude, it was the media and the press but ok, you're not capable enough of understanding.

Media, Press and some of the viewers

Britney was there to do her performance and not thinking about Beyonce performance. She did it and the viewers loved the song and gave it a boost on iTunes. 

3 hours ago, fucknfurter said:

We were making all that noise because it was ******* lackluster as hell for the hype MTV and even Britney herself built it up to be, its as simple as that. Who cares about Bey's performance.

That’s the thing. Too much hype, especially from MTV. Britney’s VMAs prior to 2007 were iconic because they were impactful. Everybody knows this. By referencing those performances as part of the hype leading up to 2016, we viewers were set up to expect something with oomph from Britney. 

The VMAS 2016 was simply, okay. Not disastrous. She hit her marks, and looked good. I don’t care about Beyonce or how much it helped her on the charts afterwards. Those are separate issues. It should have at least been better than her BBMAs 2016,  because VMAS in general are superior to the BBMAs. 

Archived