Let’s talk about Onyx.

stateofgracebritney

2 hours ago, ITSNICKCRAY said:

People who say anything negative about Onyx are not even fans. It's Britney at her best and that's a FACT. Negative opinions about the Onyx hotel are not accepted and secretly haters.

Breathe On Me too much? get the **** out :drown: stan someone else please

tenor.gif?itemid=5436189

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mr_Steven_Spears said:

Yeah people saying this tour is average or bad really are not fans sorry. This tour was Britney at her Prime and best :staysalty:

e

uh no her prime was 2000-2001

2003 was already slowly her decline, though Toxic helped her get back to having big hits, her image was already declining

• 6 months later...

I think the Onyx Hotel Tour is super interesting. I like the concept behind it but it’s execution was far from perfect. 

The leader of ceremonies part was quite badly roasted by fans and the media at the time ie ‘I don’t get the annoying clown on stage’, but it’s actually one aspect of the show that’s aged super well. We live in a post-Drag Race culture and it’s cool to see a reference the queer community in 2004 (the guy is meant to be like Lady Bunny, Divine, Leigh Bowery etc.)

One of my memories of the circumstances surrounding the tour at the time is that Britney was widely perceived as being past her prime and a lot of the GP were not going to this show. Britney was quickly losing fans and lots of reports were coming out about each show getting bad reviews, the sound cutting out, dead eyed arm dancing etc (a lot of what they still say today). She was so tired and on the precipice of her dark years.

I think she looked great during Onyx but because I clearly remember what was going on with her at that time (I’m an older stan) I’m hesitant to heap praise on this tour when it had so many issues. There are a lot of parts of this tour that I love but it wasn’t up to same standards as DWAD and she was really frazzled during most Onyx dates - I think a lot of the stans only rememebr the Miami broadcast so they have a different perception

1 hour ago, M3DON3R said:

I think the Onyx Hotel Tour is super interesting. I like the concept behind it but it’s execution was far from perfect. 

The leader of ceremonies part was quite badly roasted by fans and the media at the time ie ‘I don’t get the annoying clown on stage’, but it’s actually one aspect of the show that’s aged super well. We live in a post-Drag Race culture and it’s cool to see a reference the queer community in 2004 (the guy is meant to be like Lady Bunny, Divine, Leigh Bowery etc.)

One of my memories of the circumstances surrounding the tour at the time is that Britney was widely perceived as being past her prime and a lot of the GP were not going to this show. Britney was quickly losing fans and lots of reports were coming out about each show getting bad reviews, the sound cutting out, dead eyed arm dancing etc (a lot of what they still say today). She was so tired and on the precipice of her dark years.

I think she looked great during Onyx but because I clearly remember what was going on with her at that time (I’m an older stan) I’m hesitant to heap praise on this tour when it had so many issues. There are a lot of parts of this tour that I love but it wasn’t up to same standards as DWAD and she was really frazzled during most Onyx dates - I think a lot of the stans only rememebr the Miami broadcast so they have a different perception

Nop, the tour is flawless :schoolingtime: DWAD and Oops could never

On 9/16/2018 at 6:29 PM, Mr_Steven_Spears said:

Yeah people saying this tour is average or bad really are not fans sorry. This tour was Britney at her Prime and best :staysalty:

e

Been a fan since 99 and I the tour is boring for me. Primeney at her best was 2000-2002.

If you don't think us who don't like it are fans then

tenor.gif?itemid=13450495

edit: looks like I already answered this previously, I still stand by it :lessons:

22 hours ago, M3DON3R said:

200.gif

On 9/16/2018 at 9:44 AM, Spearsfan said:

I think with all the tours but circus they did good for promoting the album. Circus they had to promote two albums so I get it but the theme was so strong so it did it’s job either way. 

Circus was the strongest thematically. It was a genuine circus show with acrobats, magicians, stuntwork, everything. But Onyx Hotel was still the only tour that actually did the function it's supposed to.

And honestly, most artists just use tours as a way to showcase their older hits instead of featuring an entire album and maybe one or two classics.

I'm still bitter bc I had tickets to the summer leg and well yeah it didn't happen lol. I think it's a great show though. I love the costumes, theme, choreography, set, and setlist (although the cabaret mixes were kind of a buzzkill). The MC guy was corny and dumb but almost everything else was great. Too bad it was short lived.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, paula24bs said:

I understand that some may prefer DWAD because it was focused mainly on the dancing and had a lot of fireworks and special effects, but say that the production of Onyx was cheap is just wrong...

The stage may seem smaller but it was one of the first stages of that time to use all LED lights (which nowadays is pretty usual, but not at that time), and not just in one screen, the whole back of the stage (stairs etc) are equipped with that...and instead of just projecting lights it projected patterns and stuff...maybe if you were born in more recent times this seems pretty simple to you, but at the time it was something really innovative

The dresses are actually expensive as hell!! If I'm not wrong the blue dress from Shadow is a unique design from Roberto Cavalli (think how much that costs)

It may not have fireworks or a waterfall but that doesn't mean it's less spectacular...the theme of hotels needs something more intimist and that is exatcly what she and her team did, and very well I must say...also the band is amazing

You may prefer DWAD as a show, britney's dancing in there, the setlist, etc...but please don't say this is a cheaper show

The only thing that I think they went too far was with BOM, I don't like the make out session on stage, but everything else is perfect for me

THIS!!!!

Its by far her best tour!

(Btw. was the first ever concert i went to in my life. was a fan since 1999 and it was overwelming to see her live).

And it was grown up and a real concert with life and soul in it. Sometimes she might be bit tired but thats rock n roll.

never really liked the dwad show. so childish and unspontanious. plus the embarrasing singing for the troops. it was so weird to see someone 20 years old beeing pushed to behave like a child and perform for children only. only ever watch 3 or 4 songs. plus the stage looks empty - lol despite the musicbox. cnat believe how many of you farmers get fooled by some fireworks and water.

and yes the oht was one of the first with huge led screens.

it had amazing costumes (by real designers), underground-connections and was gayfriendly.

And you cant really say anithing neg about it anyways.

the topic, the songs everything was great.

she could be free and herself for the first time, her input must have been huge. it was grown up and opening her for new fans aside from children.

20 hours ago, Breathe on me u toxicbitch said:

THIS!!!!

Its by far her best tour!

(Btw. was the first ever concert i went to in my life. was a fan since 1999 and it was overwelming to see her live).

And it was grown up and a real concert with life and soul in it. Sometimes she might be bit tired but thats rock n roll.

never really liked the dwad show. so childish and unspontanious. plus the embarrasing singing for the troops. it was so weird to see someone 20 years old beeing pushed to behave like a child and perform for children only. only ever watch 3 or 4 songs. plus the stage looks empty - lol despite the musicbox. cnat believe how many of you farmers get fooled by some fireworks and water.

and yes the oht was one of the first with huge led screens.

it had amazing costumes (by real designers), underground-connections and was gayfriendly.

And you cant really say anithing neg about it anyways.

the topic, the songs everything was great.

she could be free and herself for the first time, her input must have been huge. it was grown up and opening her for new fans aside from children.

I don't think the bit with Britney signing for the troops on the DWAD tour was embarrassing. She probably did it because the tour took place not long after 9/11, at least that's just my interpretation. I'm just reading now that she also gave some of the ticket proceeds to the children of police officers and firefighters killed in the attacks.

19 hours ago, SomeoneGimmeBritney said:

I don't think the bit with Britney signing for the troops on the DWAD tour was embarrassing. She probably did it because the tour took place not long after 9/11, at least that's just my interpretation. I'm just reading now that she also gave some of the ticket proceeds to the children of police officers and firefighters killed in the attacks.

from my european point of view - singing for the military is a bit problematic, whatever the reason may have been

Archived