Britney biography: Inside the Dream (2009)

Curious to know if anyone's read Steve Dennis' book on Britney (conveniently published after the c-ship was put in place)? It doesn't offer that much insight and I think some of it should be taken with a grain of salt since it starts to get a bit tabloid-y in certain parts, but it gives some interesting psychological takes re: the Spears family dynamics, and I found this analysis of Lynne's and Britney's relationship very telling:

You can imagine how excited I was,’  Lynne recalls in Heart to Heart , ‘an adorable baby girl to dress up like a little doll! A daughter to have little tea parties with!’ It seems a strange, child-like reaction for a mother to have, recognising the accessory and companion before the actual child. There is no doubting the genuine joy Lynne felt, or the doting adoration she heaped on her second child, but embedded within that natural reaction is the first sign that Britney was unconsciously regarded as an object or a possession; an attitude that would follow her through life. She was a living doll back then as much as she remains a commodity today. Such an unintended insight suggests Britney was objecti¬ fied from the moment she was born. As the psychotherapist consulted says:

Lynne reveals much with her response to Britney's brith because when people don't have a sense of self, they tend to objectify others and babies can be viewed as 'dolls' to fulfill a  parents' need to be merged with their child, and to be in control of love. But when this happens, there tends 
to be trouble ahead. It's almost as if Lynne was telling Britney, 'You're going to be my love object, and all my needs are with you.' And she wanted everyone to know how happy this first daughter made her, showing her as 'Baby of the Week'. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

This is not a healthy way to view a baby, nor should it be acceptable. Unfortunately, I do think it’s common and accepted by our society - many people seem to want little girls or little boys to fit some sort of role, whether it’s dressing them up a specific way, getting them involved in a certain sport the same-s3x parent played, etc. It doesn’t make it right, but it’s a huge part of our culture. This is why many parents get sad at gender reveal parties.

TBH, Britney herself has said this about having a baby girl, and so have her fans when they wish for her to have a “mini me.”

Children are notoriously viewed and treated like objects.

Edited by NotBuyingIt
  • Love 2
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, NotBuyingIt said:

This is not a healthy way to view a baby, nor should it be acceptable. Unfortunately, I do think it’s common and accepted by our society - many people seem to want little girls or little boys to fit some sort of role, whether it’s dressing them up a specific way, getting them involved in a certain sport the same-s3x parent played, etc. It doesn’t make it right, but it’s a huge part of our culture. TBH, Britney herself has said this about having a baby girl, and so have her fans when they wish for her to have a “mini me.”

Children are notoriously viewed and treated like objects.

Yes, 100% eveything you said. 

I find it very sad and interesting to see this part of our culture. It makes sense to see Britney's lifestory with that, I mean, if that was what happened, absolutely now she needs to find her own self without needing to fulfill others needs as for her mother and family in the past. It's really complicated because I know she's always been a family person and very grounded - and family helped with that, I suppose, and yet her family might not have seen her as an independent being/person rather than a doll...

Edited by Fita
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, princessmimi said:

I always wanted to read it but never have.

Is it good and is it worth reading?

If you're interested in reading it you can find it here, but you need to make an account (it's free). Like I mentioned, there isn't too much revelatory info, but the psychological aspects it provides are interesting. 

Edited by Gutterguppy
  • Super Mods
6 hours ago, Gutterguppy said:

If you're interested in reading it you can find it here, but you need to make an account (it's free). Like I mentioned, there isn't too much revelatory info, but the psychological aspects it provides are interesting. 

Oh cool thank you!

It's been many years since I read it but I remember it being quite insightful. What I remember most is the criticism that the conservatorship made her perform right away after her mental health crisis. IIRC the psychoanalyst said that Britney needs to learn that she doesnt need to perform for other's to be loved, that she needs to just BE. I hope that's what Brit is trying to learn today by refusing to work 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I read it many years ago.

One thing that stood out to me in Britneys testimony was something like "I worked my precious body" and "looked so pretty" referring to how she tried to please her father.

That dynamic right there is something to think about.

Today we are more woke and question gender norms. We are allowed to identify ourselves.

There is a long way to go though but I hope the next generation will be able to live more freely and we are just happy our children are happy, healthy and not put in boxes they dont want to be in.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, PrincessAkwa said:

I read it many years ago.

One thing that stood out to me in Britneys testimony was something like "I worked my precious body" and "looked so pretty" referring to how she tried to please her father.

That dynamic right there is something to think about.

Today we are more woke and question gender norms. We are allowed to identify ourselves.

There is a long way to go though but I hope the next generation will be able to live more freely and we are just happy our children are happy, healthy and not put in boxes they dont want to be in.

The same torment Jamie's father put him through is the same torment Jamie subjected Bryan and most especially, Britney, through. And yet, he'll never be able to look at himself in the mirror and see why what he did was abusive. 

• Like 1

I had that book years ago. I remember a chapter it was christmas britney bought gifts for her sons i guess 2007 or 08 she was crying because they were taken away. one part in the book said she was thinking of su---de. understandable because her two children were taken away. i dont remember if the con had started yet at that point. i was so shocked. it also said in the beginning of her career she couldnt sleep and would cry i think she was 18 something to do with missing lynne i think. i havent red the book in years but it was a good read tho.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2024 at 4:57 PM, princessmimi said:

I always wanted to read it but never have.

Is it good and is it worth reading?

Sometimes I regret that I never read Lynne's book. When people quote paragraphs from it, I am between shocked and enlightened. 

The theme of childhood/childlike shows up in Britney's memoir several times, also in her Instagram videos. I don't think Britney has ever had a good parenting model from her parents. As long as she behaved like her parents wanted, they were ok with her paying for everything.

Rebellion is one of the reasons she dresses in clothing that shocks her parents. Before she became Maria River Red, she sometimes dressed in young girl clothes. Lots of nasty comments on her IG for that. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, garrettjames93 said:

I had that book years ago. I remember a chapter it was christmas britney bought gifts for her sons i guess 2007 or 08 she was crying because they were taken away. one part in the book said she was thinking of su---de. understandable because her two children were taken away. i dont remember if the con had started yet at that point. i was so shocked. it also said in the beginning of her career she couldnt sleep and would cry i think she was 18 something to do with missing lynne i think. i havent red the book in years but it was a good read tho.

Incredibly cruel of them to take away Britney's boys away from her like that. If they were still br3astfeeding, that is something you don't do, because it disrupts the bond between mother and child. My heart breaks for the way she was treated. Everything she said in her memoir was true, they really treated her like a criminal. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block