I love Taylor but...

2 minutes ago, Crabo Lavender Turmeric said:

Well.. I guess she is trying hard to have good numbers.... 

I wonder how midnights would've performed if there were only standard and deluxe versions without all these variations. 

I also wonder if she is trying to beat Adele's record.

I'm sure you're right

I'm not a Taylor fan, but do respect her as an artist and business woman - and she's really savvy having gone the route she has done with 'Taylor's Version' and everything, but I have to admit - and I extrapolate this to other musicians as well - that I'm getting pretty exhausted by all the vinyl variants that they seem to be releasing. I get it, it's business, and it preys on those that enjoy collecting, but financially it's such a huge committment and it seems like labels have latched onto the fact that vinyl (as well as tours and merch) is where the money's at, to compensate for all the 'free' streaming and digital/CD copies of albums that take pennies to produce en masse.

In my eyes they should make it manageable so that collecting is achievable, rather than make it impossible, but unfortunately it's the way of the world at the minute. J.LO is another example of someone who's latched onto that recently, and Ariana. I guess it's not new, but it has been gaining in popularity, in addition to the gimmicks such as online store exclusives/indie store exclusives/exclusive cover arts/tracklistings as well as variants.

I couldn't imagine the stress of collecting her discography at this point, but hey, kudos to those who do and have managed, but yeah I just wish it was more achievable. After all, allowing the fans - of whichever musician or band - to get hold of their cherished copy should be the goal, but business eh!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Neydelinska Spearsi said:

It's still too ridiculous. She's playing the game to get the sales and plaques. Is that essentially bad? No, most artist do that but to this extreme? No.

How many fans can afford this? Not many.

I mean I am a DIE HARD Swiftie (and Britney fan) and while I think these tactics have been long running before Taylor did it, I do agree it's getting to a ridiculous point.

To be fair, Britney has her fair share part in it too, with the UO releases, there are like at least 4 vinyls variants of each of her albums. Coloured, clear, black, swirl, ...

But locking bonus tracks per each seperate vinyl is a step too far, I agree. 

So far, I did pre-order all The Maniscrupt and The Bolter releases but, if she announces more, that's where I personally draw the line for myself.

As a Swiftie, I never got all the Midnights, Speak Now or 1989 variants because I usually choose which one I like the most aesthetics wise or which one has the most extra's, like the Tangerine edition of 1989 which is the only one that has Sweeter Than Fiction on it. I never bought the origibal 1989 TV coloured LP.

At this point, I also don't think lots of Swifties buy EVERY release. I think a lot of them are doing it the way I do.

But yeah, I also can't blame her for releasing stuff she knows will sell like crazy. She knows she's insanely popular and she uses it to make her bank account grow bigger.

I both like and dislike that. I like it as business point of a view and I dislike it from a fan's point of view.

Nontheless, it doesn't change a single thibg about the fact that I love her music.

She's one of the only ones around here actually writing her own stuff and that knows how to play an instrument.

Most orher celebs these days need 12 songwriters and can't play a guitar or piano...

1 minute ago, LeglessJamie said:

I mean I am a DIE HARD Swiftie (and Britney fan) and while I think these tactics have been long running before Taylor did it, I do agree it's getting to a ridiculous point.

To be fair, Britney has her fair share part in it too, with the UO releases, there are like at least 4 vinyls variants of each of her albums. Coloured, clear, black, swirl, ...

So far, I did pre-order all The Maniscrupt and The Bolter releases but, if she announces more, that's where I personally draw the line for myself.

As a Swiftie, I never got all the Midnights, Speak Now or 1989 variants because I usually choose which one I like the most aesthetics wise or which one has the most extra's, like the Tangerine edition of 1989 which is the only one that has Sweeter Than Fiction on it. I never bought the original 1989 TV coloured LP.

At this point, I also don't think lots of Swifties buy EVERY release. I think a lot of them are doing it the way I do.

But yeah, I also can't blame her for releasing stuff she knows will sell like crazy. She knows she's insanely popular and she uses it to make her bank account grow bigger.

I both like and dislike that. I like it from a business point of a view and I dislike it from a fan's point of view.

Nontheless, it doesn't change a single thing about the fact that I love her music.

She's one of the only ones around here actually writing her own stuff and that knows how to play an instrument.

Most other celebs these days need 12 songwriters and can't play a guitar or piano...

11 hours ago, InTheMix said:

I'm not a Taylor fan, but do respect her as an artist and business woman - and she's really savvy having gone the route she has done with 'Taylor's Version' and everything, but I have to admit - and I extrapolate this to other musicians as well - that I'm getting pretty exhausted by all the vinyl variants that they seem to be releasing. I get it, it's business, and it preys on those that enjoy collecting, but financially it's such a huge committment and it seems like labels have latched onto the fact that vinyl (as well as tours and merch) is where the money's at, to compensate for all the 'free' streaming and digital/CD copies of albums that take pennies to produce en masse.

In my eyes they should make it manageable so that collecting is achievable, rather than make it impossible, but unfortunately it's the way of the world at the minute. J.LO is another example of someone who's latched onto that recently, and Ariana. I guess it's not new, but it has been gaining in popularity, in addition to the gimmicks such as online store exclusives/indie store exclusives/exclusive cover arts/tracklistings as well as variants.

I couldn't imagine the stress of collecting her discography at this point, but hey, kudos to those who do and have managed, but yeah I just wish it was more achievable. After all, allowing the fans - of whichever musician or band - to get hold of their cherished copy should be the goal, but business eh!

You're so right, honestly I'm tired of her making her poor fans like me suffer:typing_keyboard_computer:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ofcoursenot said:

Of course she is going to sell millions... She is making 7 versions in 7 different formats :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Back in like 2022 I bought the gold vinyl for Fearless and I was like 'collecting her albums is gonna be so fun!' turns out getting CDs was the only affordable option because of f  cking shipping :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading:

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, LeglessJamie said:

As a Swiftie, I never got all the Midnights, Speak Now or 1989 variants because I usually choose which one I like the most aesthetics wise or which one has the most extra's, like the Tangerine edition of 1989 which is the only one that has Sweeter Than Fiction on it. I never bought the origibal 1989 TV coloured LP.

I both like and dislike that. I like it as business point of a view and I dislike it from a fan's point of view.

Nontheless, it doesn't change a single thibg about the fact that I love her music.

Most orher celebs these days need 12 songwriters and can't play a guitar or piano...

100% correct! As long as she puts the songs on streaming I won't care too much

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block