Mirwais Ahmadzai (Madonna's producer) : "when you're working with Madonna of the 2000's, having such freedom with the biggest star of that time, why would i worked with Britney?"

Mirwais Stass is a French electronic dance music record producer and songwriter. He made a long interview with a french magazine.

Madonna recruited him for writing and production collaboration on four of her studio albums: Music (2000), American Life (2003), Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005), and Madame X (2019). He also co-wrote a song that would later appear on her greatest hits album Celebration as a previously unreleased track.

Mirwais contributed the following tracks to the Madonna albums:

That's what i read in this french interview

We can imagine that you must have turned down a lot of offers after Madonna.

"Yes. I didn't wanted to go into the ghostwriting system, where you just compose a part of a song with 22 other producers. I've dedicated my life to music; I'm part of a generation where you write a song with at most two or three people. When I work with Madonna, most of the tracks, it's just both of us. Also, when you work with the Madonna of 2000, having such freedom with the biggest star of that time, why go work with Britney Spears surrounded by twelve managers who hassle you? Anyway, I've experienced thirty-nine years of hardship. In 1992, I lived on 5 francs a day and that lasted ten years. So as long as I earn enough money to get out of material problems, that's enough for me. I'm not one of those people who always want more fame and money."

It's weird, because i don't know why he is talking about Britney, he never worked with her, but i found this article from 2003 on mtv, it says

"Spears has said she may explore her hip-hop and rock influences on the follow-up to Britney, but the Matrix's Lauren Christy said that's not exactly the case.

"It's definitely not anywhere near Avril," Christy said. "It's really hard to put it in a box. It's not really R&B-based or dance-based, it's just really good songs. It's not done in a rock way at all, though."

Christy, a former pop singer herself, likened the album to Madonna's Ray of Light, which is fitting since Spears has met with William Orbit, who produced that album, and is said to be working with Mirwais, another Madonna producer. And Durst described his work with Spears as having a trip-hop vibe, like Madonna's "Frozen."

So maybe Mirwais met her, i don't know, anyways, Mirwais almost only worked with Madonna, he had a long depression, he was supposed to work with Kylie Minogue in 2020, but nothin happened, and even if i love his works with Madonna, i don't like his last track (2020), it's very bad.

Edited by Agyness
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Most of his work with Madonna is impeccable, timeless.

Not every producer wants to work with someone like Britney and her team reputation couldn’t be worse. 

Producers and songwriters usually like to work with the artist directly, in person. With Britney, her team tells them to make something completely, then Britney will record it...

Creativity means more for certain real talented producers instead of quick money.

• Love 2
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Agyness said:

Mirwais Stass is a French electronic dance music record producer and songwriter. He made a long interview with a french magazine.

Madonna recruited him for writing and production collaboration on four of her studio albums: Music (2000), American Life (2003), Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005), and Madame X (2019). He also co-wrote a song that would later appear on her greatest hits album Celebration as a previously unreleased track.

Mirwais contributed the following tracks to the Madonna albums:

That's what i read in this french interview

We can imagine that you must have turned down a lot of offers after Madonna.

"Yes. I didn't wanted to go into the ghostwriting system, where you just compose a part of a song with 22 other producers. I've dedicated my life to music; I'm part of a generation where you write a song with at most two or three people. When I work with Madonna, most of the tracks, it's just both of us. Also, when you work with the Madonna of 2000, having such freedom with the biggest star of that time, why go work with Britney Spears surrounded by twelve managers who hassle you? Anyway, I've experienced thirty-nine years of hardship. In 1992, I lived on 5 francs a day and that lasted ten years. So as long as I earn enough money to get out of material problems, that's enough for me. I'm not one of those people who always want more fame and money."

It's weird, because i don't know why he is talking about Britney, he never worked with her, but i found this article from 2003 on mtv, it says

"Spears has said she may explore her hip-hop and rock influences on the follow-up to Britney, but the Matrix's Lauren Christy said that's not exactly the case.

"It's definitely not anywhere near Avril," Christy said. "It's really hard to put it in a box. It's not really R&B-based or dance-based, it's just really good songs. It's not done in a rock way at all, though."

Christy, a former pop singer herself, likened the album to Madonna's Ray of Light, which is fitting since Spears has met with William Orbit, who produced that album, and is said to be working with Mirwais, another Madonna producer. And Durst described his work with Spears as having a trip-hop vibe, like Madonna's "Frozen."

So maybe Mirwais met her, i don't know, anyways, Mirwais almost only worked with Madonna, he had a long depression, he was supposed to work with Kylie Minogue in 2020, but nothin happened, and even if i love his works with Madonna, i don't like his last track (2020), it's very bad.

I miss Madonna from late 90s and 2000, she was on point vocally, and in creativity :kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

• Love 5
  • Like 1

Which Britney are we talking about here, Britney ITZ or Britney with team con? If the latter I can understand the hassle, even Gaga didn’t end up selling her song for Britney. 

But for ITZ Britney, I think she is more in sync with Bloodshy and Avant. Which are also electronic/ dance but suit Britney very well. Toxic and Breathe on Me is arguably better than Music and Die Another Day. I heard she also reaches out to William Orbit at the time and Britney left and it didn’t work out. Their song for Britney at the time probably sucks and she ghosted them.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Tbh, I don't think the issue here is him bringing up Britney, it was his dealings with her management pushing for sounds that he didn't like and business people being too involved in the creative process.

Mirwais and Orbits production on Madonna's songs still stands the test of time; it's rich, and full, it's electronic and orchestral, which I find incredibly interesting, but that came from Madonna wanting to explore those sounds and being able to, where as Britney has spoken about her issues with management. She has very clearly referred that very particular madonna sounds in songs like "Breathe On Me", and "Touch of My Hand", but even the end of Brave New Girl has a similar arrangement to "Ray of Light". It's a shame tbh because I feel like Britney working with huge diverse producers could have been golden, because when he was that freedom to work on music she's proud of, it's timeless.

• Love 3
  • Like 2

It‘s his right to have this opinion but i would disagree with all of it. 

The biggest star of the time he‘s talking about was by fact Britney - she sold over 65 million from 2000-2005 while Madonna was selling not half as much. 

Second if he would talk about the Cship i would agree but he talks about her prime from 99-04 where she was arguably more in charge of her music then a lot of others. 

• Like 1

Eh, I’m so tired of people disrespecting Britney’s name. This random Ahmadzi person might be a respected producer (I personally don’t know him and I’m not a fan of those songs) but step the **** down. Working with Britney Spears is a privilege. 

I hope she works with someone like Moby, though. Early Mornin was a great start, she sounded amazing and the production is still fresh.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Mirwais is an amazing producer and his work with Madonna is still exceptional piece of music.

He was always portrayed as a "weirdo" in music circles and I completely understand his point of view with working with big "commercial" artists except Madonna due to lack of artistic freedom. He simply didn't want to compensate.

Working with artists like Britney etc. with huge entourage of people behind her with the vision of profit and profit only for "old school" producer like Mirwais would be something which would let to feeling of creative discouragement  and non-fulfillment.

34 minutes ago, MoodRing3 said:

It‘s his right to have this opinion but i would disagree with all of it. 

The biggest star of the time he‘s talking about was by fact Britney - she sold over 65 million from 2000-2005 while Madonna was selling not half as much. 

Second if he would talk about the Cship i would agree but he talks about her prime from 99-04 where she was arguably more in charge of her music then a lot of others. 

You also need to understand that he is same age category as Madonna. He is an audiophile, musical "weirdo" not generally interested in commercial "factory" made radio pop stars and that is what exactly Britney was, especially her first 2-3 albums. Working with a pop star like her would mean he would need to create songs precisely under certain formula which is something he didn't want to. 

On 2/6/2024 at 10:08 PM, Dark Willow said:

Most of his work with Madonna is impeccable, timeless.

Not every producer wants to work with someone like Britney and her team reputation couldn’t be worse. 

Producers and songwriters usually like to work with the artist directly, in person. With Britney, her team tells them to make something completely, then Britney will record it...

Creativity means more for certain real talented producers instead of quick money.

This. Britney in and out the studio like hi and bye :walkonby_britney_sunglasses_walking_oh_hi_smile:

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Mayenaise said:

This. Britney in and out the studio like hi and bye :walkonby_britney_sunglasses_walking_oh_hi_smile:

Yeah lmfao.

Fans usually love when producers say she is "fast" in the studio, but I don't think this was ever a good thing.

It's impossible to always create something solid with a quick visit. Probably that's why her songs have many background singers, are unfinished (tom diner's bridge) and heavy vocal effects. If the producers have only one take they can't do much. 

HMC sounds like it was recorded very fast and not as much times as the producer and some rumors keep saying...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block