I like the BLACKPINK girls as a person but I don't like them musically... Does anyone else feel this way?

No, I like everything about them.

Back when they debuted I was more a SM type of listener, YG was never my type of music/aesthetic. But I root for girl groups so hard that I was excited for a new gg after 2NE1 (they are just the second gg there and the only active one unlike their multiple bgs that debuted and are still active). I stayed up all night waiting for their debut MVs and the conference.

I do see them as individuals that happen to be in a group, they are so big as solo and it's so unlikely in K-Pop, we often have our big visual that sometimes overshadow the group but here is different, all 4 of them have their light. I do hate how YG managed them. 1 cb each year after their debut and a long-*** hiatus in their first 7 years is so off to me. That happens after they re-sign.

I will say that "Pink Venom" is the first release were I felt it was "underwhelming".

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I love them musically, visually and individually. They are some of the most humble queens around. No matter how successful they become they always remain leveled just like Britney did throughout her career, and it's not like fake humble like gaga they genuinely are that way. 

I do agree though as great as teddy has been with them they do need to explore other producers as well. 

Tbh I TRY to get into K-pop, because they literally give looks and choreo, all I love in my pop universe, but I just don’t like the music. It’s just too bland and at times try hard for me; just doesn’t seem genuine. I’ve only liked a few 2NE1 songs and one Sistar song (Shake It). 

With Blackpink, I really wanted to like them because they collaborated with Selena and Gaga, but even those songs were ehhh to me. They’re decent dancers, gorgeous! But I just feel a disconnect for me. 

I don’t dislike them, but even though they’re popular I don’t feel like they bring something new or even impactful to music as a group. Compared to Spice Girls, Destinys Child, PCD, or Little Mix, like Blackpink hasn’t done one thing, in my eyes, that makes them stand out from the mention groups. 

• Love 1

The way YG manages them makes it impossible for me to get fully into them as a group. It’s not even about the long breaks. I feel long breaks should be more normalized. But it’s the same sound every comeback, same “bad *****” lyrics every time because that’s their concept. Nothing ever changes. It’s the same old same old every couple of years. And they rarely perform, making it impossible for them to grow as performers. I wish they had more freedom. But it works, they’re the most successful GG right now. So it’s probably going to stay this way.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block