Tips on making your streams and purchases count for 'Hold Me Closer'

2 minutes ago, Freaky Tiny Style AK said:

We should focus on all the streaming platforms, but for the record Spotify is a better idea as Apple Music promotes more urban music. IF we are chart interested, ofc.

both Apple Music and Spotify streams are counted towards the BB100 though, no? If you’re talking about purely getting on playlists or appearing on highest # of streams charts, then yes, Spotify is probably more influential. There are more Spotify users WW anyways. 

Just now, PokemonSpears said:

I think streaming is still more important, I mean sales too, but if I remember correctly, Mood Ring was like #2 in sales, but it wasn't enough to even make it to #100 in the BBH100 

Just because mood ring was number 2 doesn’t mean it sold anything, I think it only sold like 7k that week. It doesn’t take much to go number 1 on iTunes now, but bet your last dollar if a artist sells a 100k on iTunes it will show on the charts people just don’t buy when they can stream. My thing is we not big in streaming but we can make up for it in sales !

Nicki sold 89k with just iTunes! She was destine to debut at 1 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think streaming is still more important, I mean sales too, but if I remember correctly, Mood Ring was like #2 in sales, but it wasn't enough to even make it to #100 in the BBH100 

Being nr two on itunes is easy.. nr 2 doesnt mean 40 thousand sales..

u just need 3-4 thousand to get to nr 1 on itunes.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

both Apple Music and Spotify streams are counted towards the BB100 though, no? If you’re talking about purely getting on playlists or appearing on highest # of streams charts, then yes, Spotify is probably more influential. There are more Spotify users WW anyways. 

Yes, we should stream on both platforms but the consumers on Apple Music are urban oriented so they might not add the song to many playlist. If you’re from US, I suggest to stream from Spotify. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, pablitonizer said:

Please don't confuse BB200 vs BBHOT100 - Buying albums count more than streaming for BB200, but for BBHOT100 streaming remains the most dominant factor on the Hot100 chart, followed by radio airplay and digital sales in descending order of significance. 

This inaccurate, a sale is a sale sweetie. If you buy a song it’s counted as 1 sale versus you have to stream a song a 100 times to count it as 1 sales. iTunes it’s more powerful if a lot of people buy.   

• Like 2
Just now, ThisMeowBiteback said:

This inaccurate, a sale is a sale sweetie. If you buy a song it’s counted as 1 sale versus you have to stream a song a 100 times to count it as 1 sales. iTunes it’s more powerful if a lot of people buy.   

this. Buying plus streaming is the key. Not one or the other.

there are enough ways to get a free apple music or spotify month. And buying the song once costs us nothing. Its one dollar/euro

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, ThisMeowBiteback said:

A sale is a sale, but sales are less important for BBHOT100 when it comes to count. Please revisit how BBHOT100 is created, specially in the recent years :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

9 minutes ago, ThisMeowBiteback said:

I hope this helps you!

Today the component charts are the following:

Radio Songs - The approximate number of people who may have heard the song during the tracking week. It is different depending the number of times it has been played, the number of listeners the radio channels have and the time of the day the song is played. For example a song that is played mostly during the night will have less “audience impressions”, thus rank lower on the Radio Songs chart than a song with the same number of plays during daytime.

Single Sales - This component is very straightforward. They add up all the sales from retail and paid music download platforms. The latter also forms a subcomponent chart, Digital Song Sales, which is mainly made up of iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and other smaller platforms. Since the physical singles market died in the early 2000’s, they don’t impact the overall Hot 100 ranking that much. There are exceptions to that though, because even now a well-timed physical release can get you a number-one song if the songs are close enough on the other component charts.

Streaming Songs - The most important chart component in the late ‘10s. Its precursor was the On-Demand Songs chart, which was made audio streaming a part of the Hot 100 formula in 2012. That was chiefly Spotify, which had an overwhelming market share until Apple Music launched in 2015. Those two are the big ones right now.

In 2013 video streaming platforms were added to the formula, the main one being YouTube.

Now the subscription-based paid streaming is weighted more than the ad-supported streaming, which means that if one song has a million streams Spotify, and the other has the same number on YouTube, the one with more Spotify plays ranks higher on the Hot 100 chart.

The average composition for a song is around 20% sales, 35% radio and 45% streaming. That changes over the course of an individual chart run though

:oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

5 minutes ago, Freaky Tiny Style AK said:

The Barbz did 90k first week only from iTunes, Nicki’s website(merch), Amazon, etc. SO BUY THE ******* SONG! 

correct, almost 90K digital downloads plus almost 22 million U.S streams and 4.6 million radio airplay audience impressions. Selling 90K alone wouldn't have secured that #1 on HOT100 :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:

8 minutes ago, pablitonizer said:

correct, almost 90K digital downloads plus almost 22 million U.S streams and 4.6 million radio airplay audience impressions. Selling 90K alone wouldn't have secured that #1 on HOT100 :mj_reading_paper_michael_jackson_blinking_glasses:

But that 90k was a big factor  plus I don’t think our streaming is going to be this big! 

I think radio & sales is where we would make a dent 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ThisMeowBiteback said:

But that 90k was a big factor  plus I don’t think our streaming is going to be this big! 

I think radio & sales is where we would make a dent 

The song will be added to the most important playlist this weekend so I'll do fine there, I'm sure GP will stream it. The song also is being sent to most US radios next week so it'll do GREAT on radio as well. I'm explaining how HOT100 works. In the past it was all about sales, but not anymore unfortunately. I NEVER said 'Don't buy the song', I said focus on streaming, since it represents 45% for Billboard. :queenriri_rihanna_red_wave_carpet_smile:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block