Did Christina Aguilera use payola back in 1999?

Style.

13 hours ago, Style. said:

I get your point, but Christina had three major #1 hits there compared to Britney. US is a the most biggest music market in the world though, and I don’t think people were listening to Baby only based on the music video’s impact. Something’s off. It’s like she had quick hits and they burned out quicker than expected.:umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

Do people really forget that at the beginning, Christina was JUST as popular as Britney? The rivalry was REAL! Obviously, you can see how that panned out, but at the start, Britney was looked at as just a good performer but Christina's voice really made Britney pale in comparison. It didn't help that Christina then won the Grammy for Best New Artist against Britney.

I mean...it is what it is...

Xtina just had quick little hits that simply didn't stand the test of time tbh. I dunno if payola was involved or if she was just a fad at the time. Could be both.

Oh and somewhat related, I still laugh whenever the Fighters try to pull out MLJ's stats as if Xtina's verse made any impact on the song's popularity. :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

17 hours ago, PaMisMuchachas said:

Christina's album was big in US. Britney's album was bigger worldwide. That's why it has more streams. 

But Britney’s album was still bigger than Christina’s in the US. In terms of sales and streams, only thing for whatever reason, radio never played Britney as much as they should have. Maybe that’s payola or more money spent marketing and pushing for radio play. Britney didn’t have to do that because sales wise she was killing it. Same thing with Madonna and Cyndi Lauper. 

you also have to keep in mind, Britney and Christina became huge when it was all about selling ALBUMS not singles. Britney became so massive that radio play for singles was insignificant when her albums sales were breaking records 

2 hours ago, Sia said:

Do people really forget that at the beginning, Christina was JUST as popular as Britney? The rivalry was REAL! Obviously, you can see how that panned out, but at the start, Britney was looked at as just a good performer but Christina's voice really made Britney pale in comparison. It didn't help that Christina then won the Grammy for Best New Artist against Britney.

I mean...it is what it is...

Ya Britney was always more popular, but during their debut they were very close. It wasn’t until Oops where Britney became way more popular. 

• Like 1

The music industry was totally different back then. But for one thing people took Xtina more seriously as a singer/musician. It’s sad, but true, Britney was seen as a new Tiffany/Debbie Gibson in the beginning- for teens/kids only- only the MTV crowd which skewed younger. Xtina crossed over a little more to the older VH1/adult contemporary type audience, I mean if you listen to her first album it’s really trying to be more Mariah/Whitney/Toni Braxton esq and RNB, only the singles were more teen pop. 

Another reason was that they changed the mix for What A Girl Wants and Come One Over for the single/video. So if you wanted that version you HAD to buy the single, I still have the original CD I bought after Genie came out, they sound totally different, it annoyed me so much. That boosted sales and radio play. For me at least, it was also much easier to find Xtina’s CD singles, I only found BOMT, I would have bought all Britney’s singles for bonus tracks and just to collect- especially CRAZY, I wanted to stop remix so bad, but you had to buy the Drive Me Crazy soundtrack to get it. 

I don’t know about payola, but I definitely think Xtinas team and/or RCA used those different mixes to boost chart positions. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

The music industry was totally different back then. But for one thing people took Xtina more seriously as a singer/musician. It’s sad, but true, Britney was seen as a new Tiffany/Debbie Gibson in the beginning- for teens/kids only- only the MTV crowd which skewed younger.

I understand why you believe Christina was taken more seriously as a singer/ musician but it is unture to say that that people in general took Christina as a more serious artist back in 1999 when her singles were "Genie in a Bottle" and "What a girl Wants(Remix)". In reality she was initially clumped as a Britney wannabe just like the rest of those girls. 

RCA is the reason Christina Aguilera shined above all of the other wannabes. Through payola and clever marketing her as Britney Spears' childhood "friend"/ rival, Christina had a huge advantage over the other wannabes when it came to being named dropped along side 'Britney Spears.

Christina didn't start being marketed as a mature pop artist until late 2000 / early 2001 after she fired her manger, Steve Kurtz; who was behind pushing her as a teen pop artist. After that, Christinas ballads and live performances of those ballads are what made people see her as someone different from Britney.

The way Billboard calculated singles sales into the Hot 100 played a part but, ultimately, it was RCA who pushed payola for Christina and her manager who marketed her alongside Britney.

6 minutes ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

Was Jive a small record company?? I always thought It was subsidiary of Sony and that Jive was a multinational company that sent Britney to stardom, but i certainly now realize how impressive Britneyimpact was (small town-small label-massive worldwide success). I also understand why Xtina would take long breaks.

Jive was an independent label, might have seemed major.

But before BMG bought it in 2002..

I have a Mexican pressing of oops, and it's distributed by EMI Mexico, Through Virgin Records under license from zomba label group.

1 hour ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

The music industry was totally different back then. But for one thing people took Xtina more seriously as a singer/musician. It’s sad, but true, Britney was seen as a new Tiffany/Debbie Gibson in the beginning- for teens/kids only- only the MTV crowd which skewed younger. Xtina crossed over a little more to the older VH1/adult contemporary type audience, I mean if you listen to her first album it’s really trying to be more Mariah/Whitney/Toni Braxton esq and RNB, only the singles were more teen pop. 

Another reason was that they changed the mix for What A Girl Wants and Come One Over for the single/video. So if you wanted that version you HAD to buy the single, I still have the original CD I bought after Genie came out, they sound totally different, it annoyed me so much. That boosted sales and radio play. For me at least, it was also much easier to find Xtina’s CD singles, I only found BOMT, I would have bought all Britney’s singles for bonus tracks and just to collect- especially CRAZY, I wanted to stop remix so bad, but you had to buy the Drive Me Crazy soundtrack to get it. 

I don’t know about payola, but I definitely think Xtinas team and/or RCA used those different mixes to boost chart positions. 

Yeah, i remember watching her E! TRUE Hollywood story, Billboard, Teen People said wheb we got The Britney package of her debut album.

Everybody said in their own scenes 

"It was reminiscence of Paula Abdul, Debbie Gibson (Lori of teen people added minus songwriting, composing and Producing which made debbie Gibson rare as she is the only female to write, compose and produce a number one song all by herself before she's 18), and of course Tiffany, what's new to the table for Britney spears that nobody hasn't seen before. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block